Squad Announcment - Page 13 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Squad Announcment

vanderark14

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

59 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Well... for a start we finished 3rd in the qualifying for the last Euros under Levein and 3rd for the last 2010 World Cup under Burley. 

I remember how bad Levein's approach was. I called it about 2 years before the happy-clappers on here were finally forced to admit he was a terrible manager. 

Initially Strachan had improved us but we've gone backwards rapidly in the last 18 months and it shows no sign of changing. I'd love to be wrong but i fully expect us to be battling for 3rd spot with Slovenia in this group. We've absolutely no chance of getting in to the top 2. 

Berti Vogts had us in the play offs.  By that measure he's our best manager in years...haha.

Strachan's comments are getting a bit doomladen.  Always talking about our limitations.

Still though, incredible we're seriously feeling downbeat about competing with Slovakia Slovenia and Lithuania for a play off.  We're well capable of competing against these teams.  Some folk are going overboard.

17 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

Some folk are going overboard.

lets be honest here everyone is shitting it off playing the mighty malta on sunday, we've all seen how these games usually go. 

see away games at maldova, georgia, faroe islands, lithuania, macedonia, belarus for example

and it looks as if nothing is going to have changed from the last campaign, same tactics predominantly the same players with strachan unable to change a game when we aren't creating chances. 

Edited by LewisEDI

27 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Yep. And on the back of two feel good wins vs Denmark and Czech Rep. Two more games against teams of a similar level; Norway, Greece, Romania etc clearly a much better choice.

Starting to get a very bad feeling for Sunday.

I have same horrible feeling this is going to be another Georgia. 

12 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

Watt is more talented than McCormack. I don't get the McCormack hype at all. 

Seriously? if you watch the Championship in England, McCormack has been one of the best players in it for last 5 years, I am a Leeds fan and Ross McCormack's goals and assists for both us and Fulham over last few years has been brilliant.  Basically if it wasn't for him a couple of years ago we would have been relegated.  The guys link up play and crossing ability and workrate are great.  Should be in the starting 11 never mind just the squad.  Would love to see him and Snodgrass play together again for Scotland.  Griffiths would score goals for fun if he had those 2 supporting him playing.

Since we're lost Griffiths goals, imo we sorely need McCormack or Rhodes.

Fletcher's been playing very well this season, but hasn't found the net. Adding all 4 of the strikers together and you have just 2 goals this season in 20 odd appearances between them. I know Rhodes hasn't played and McCormack is settling in at a new club, but I am a little concerned where the goals are going to come from now. Seems we're going to rely on Snodgrass, Burke and Anya to feed off Fletcher. Let's hope it comes off.

Wow.. James Forrest has more goals this season than Fletcher, Martin, Naismith and Watt put together.. and level if you add Rhodes and McCormack to the list. I guess he plays in the hole if Snoddy doesn't make it.

1 minute ago, andyD said:

Forrest has more goals this season than Fletcher, Martin, Naismith and Watt put together.. and level if you add Rhodes and McCormack to the list. I guess he plays in the hole if Snoddy doesn't make it.

no chance he will play centrally, don't think he ever has. 

23 minutes ago, LewisEDI said:

no chance he will play centrally, don't think he ever has. 

Pretty sure he played there at least once for us last campaign. I have a horrible feeling it was against Georgia, but the Forrest of now seems like a big improvement on the Forrest of 18 months ago.

As a Hearts fan it's good to see Watt called up but I think it is far too soon for him; he is just about getting match fit now. Can't see him starting or even getting much/any match time so probably doesn't matter. The McCormack exclusion does seem strange going on his record. 

Why are no journalists really quizzing him on ross mccormack. As another said he has been one of if not THE best striker in the championship for 5 years running. he scores he creates everything but ohno wgs seems to think a goal v barcelona many moons ago is better than consistent performance year on year. I am sorely pissed off with him now which wasnt the case after first 3 games of last qualifiers,but everyone be honest after that he has stuck with some who havent done it. Tried and tested have been pish so why keep using them. 

17 minutes ago, gaz7 said:

Why are no journalists really quizzing him on ross mccormack. As another said he has been one of if not THE best striker in the championship for 5 years running. he scores he creates everything but ohno wgs seems to think a goal v barcelona many moons ago is better than consistent performance year on year. I am sorely pissed off with him now which wasnt the case after first 3 games of last qualifiers,but everyone be honest after that he has stuck with some who havent done it. Tried and tested have been pish so why keep using them. 

why are no journalists quizzing him on leaving out Boyd at Burnley and Phillips at West Brom.  After at end of last campaign he said we needed to get bigger and stronger to compete as we didn't have any world class players

then leaves out two big and strong regular premiership starters

also McCormack decision is baffling as is not picking Kingsley at Swansea - especially after a first choice left back has dropped out

16 minutes ago, gaz7 said:

Probably because our 4th choice striker is a wild irrelevance? Watt's not going to play, McCormack wouldn't play.

We're looking (almost certainly) at Fletcher leading the line on his own again, as he's the best we have at that. Had Griffiths stayed fit I think there was a decent chance we'd have played 2 up top, but now I think we're looking at Fletcher with Snodgrass playing a 10 behind him. I'm fine with that. It's a combination I'd like to have seen a lot more of in the last 2-3 years, but injuries have got in the way.

Decision to leave Arfield out in cold baffling also

routine starter at premiership and championship winning club for 5 years

bags of energy

Ireland have been qualifying for tournaments on back of such players for 10 years

7 minutes ago, Bino's said:

why are no journalists quizzing him on leaving out Boyd at Burnley and Phillips at West Brom.  After at end of last campaign he said we needed to get bigger and stronger to compete as we didn't have any world class players

then leaves out two big and strong regular premiership starters

also McCormack decision is baffling as is not picking Kingsley at Swansea - especially after a first choice left back has dropped out

Kingsley is with the under 21's

5 minutes ago, Bino's said:

Decision to leave Arfield out in cold baffling also

routine starter at premiership and championship winning club for 5 years

bags of energy

Ireland have been qualifying for tournaments on back of such players for 10 years

Arfield made a choice to play for Canada in February as Strachan said he wasn't in his plans, crazy

15 hours ago, HIGHTOWER 1314 said:

Why is mccormack not been called up and can the sfa stop players who call off from international duty from playing for their clubs.Celtic are at the capers if griffiths is ready to play an old fiirm game after not being fit for his country with a hamstring problem.

Why?Celtic pay their wages and believe they get no payment for playing for their country

Maybe some players like some supporters have no/lost all faith in Strachan

Edited by Langtonian