Europa League 2016-17 - Page 28 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Europa League 2016-17

15 minutes ago, wheres the pies said:

Good performance by the Dons tonight. That's probably the most annoyed I've been watching a game and easily the worst refereeing performance I've ever witnessed.  He is a moron.  The UEFA observer was sitting in directors box and shaking his head in disbelief at the ref.  I would add he wasn't great for them, but he killed us.

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Rossy said:

If popcorn teeth was in charge of Aberdeen....shudder......he would be facing a 500 game EUFA ban after tonight. :lol:

The restraint by your number two(?) was immense.  If looks could kill, he'd be banged up already. :lol:

Didn't see it (other than the... admittedly... hilarious goal) but sounds like a classic Scottish defeat; better team over two legs, dodgy ref, missed penalty, countless missed chances = papped oot.

'twas ever thus. And seemingly always will be.

Not an Aberdeen fan, I thought they where very unlucky & like the way they try to play the game, if Jack & Shinnie are not in Strachans squad when he names it in two weeks, then we must have some cracking players to keep this pair out the Squad !!

25 minutes ago, glasgow jock said:

Not an Aberdeen fan, I thought they where very unlucky & like the way they try to play the game, if Jack & Shinnie are not in Strachans squad when he names it in two weeks, then we must have some cracking players to keep this pair out the Squad !!

Hopefully mcinnes sees this season that Jack performs best when Shinnie is in the middle with him. 

Still raging about everything last night (and last week),we were far better both legs,but caused our own downfall in the end. 

Edited by dandydunn

Guest BlueGaz

Sadly this reflects the state of our football at the moment.  Can't see it getting much better for the foreseeable unfortunately.  Fingers crossed though.

20 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

Sadly this reflects the state of our football at the moment.  Can't see it getting much better for the foreseeable unfortunately.  Fingers crossed though.

Care to expand on 'the state?'

Most feel that Aberdeen played very well - Over both legs.

Guest BlueGaz
1 minute ago, Redz said:

Care to expand on 'the state?'

Most feel that Aberdeen played very well - Over both legs.

If you feel that our top teams playing well here and there and not qualifying for any European competitions is acceptable mate, then I retract my statement that the state of our football is not good at the moment.  Scotland and our top clubs play well from time to time, but we qualify for almost zip at the moment.

1 minute ago, BlueGaz said:

If you feel that our top teams playing well here and there and not qualifying for any European competitions is acceptable mate, then I retract my statement that the state of our football is not good at the moment.  Scotland and our top clubs play well from time to time, but we qualify for almost zip at the moment.

I never said it was acceptable, but then again I didn't realise you were questioning collective qualification.

To me, your post appeared to be directed solely towards the way Aberdeen played against Maribor.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Guest BlueGaz
1 minute ago, Redz said:

I never said it was acceptable, but then again I didn't realise you were questioning collective qualification.

To me, your post appeared to be directed solely towards the way Aberdeen played against Maribor.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Sadly this reflects the state of our football at the moment.  Cool, not sure how, but glad you now realise that you weren't being picked on. :ok:

If you watched the game, then your only really in a position to judge the performance, which then would reflect on 'the state' of the Scottish game.

Aberdeen played very well over the 2 legs.  If we had a Rooney that was banging in goals for fun like he has over the past few seasons, Aberdeen could of won the tie by about 3 or 4 goals over the 2-legs.

Unfortunately, he never and the rest is history.

On the game last night, The dons huffed and puffed and tried to play football at every opportunity. Their fitness levels were excellent and were still pushing on in the last 15mins.  Credit to them getting theirselves into that position before the proper season has even began.

The goal, yes it was a horror, but was irrelevant, its not like 'that' goal put them out.  0-0 and they were out anyway.  Freak goal no point dwelling on it.

Now for the referee.  It was quite simply a disgrace of a performance.  The penalty decision, the sending off, the blowing for a free-kick every f*ckign single time a dons player got within a meter of a Maribor player. Bloody pathetic. Uefa, have to review the refs performance and drop him from any future high level games.  If not this clown will continue to make an @rse of the game every time he refs a match.

The booking of the Maribor keeper at the penalty incident was in-fact correct with the new laws of the game, however, why he never played advantage.....well only he can tell us that.  Inept decision by an inept referee.

No excuses for Rooney, he should of buried the pen, instead he struck the pen like it was his missus was in goals and didn't want to hurt her. Riffle the f*ckign thing into the net FFS.

Edited by Zander_14

2 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

Sadly this reflects the state of our football at the moment.  Cool, not sure how, but glad you now realise that you weren't being picked on. :ok:

It was more probably the 'this' (as in the Aberdeen result, as there was no mention of qualification) that threw me.

I hope that makes my take on your statement a bit more understandable.

No probs - We're well used to being 'picked on' on here..... ;) 

Guest BlueGaz
3 minutes ago, Redz said:

We're well used to being 'picked on' on here..... ;) 

Haha, that made me giggle.  Thanks for cheering me up on a miserable Friday morning.  

Just watched the lead up to the penalty again.

Has the ref refused to play advantage as he's deemed Rooney guilty of handball as he fell on the ball?

Might explain him bringing it back for the penalty.

Neither of Stockleys challenges were yellow cards though - Huge advantage to them for the remaining (25?) mins.

15 minutes ago, Zander_14 said:

The booking of the Maribor keeper at the penalty incident was in-fact correct with the new laws of the game, however, why he never played advantage.....well only he can tell us that.  Inept decision by an inept referee.

Don't agree with that.

The new rule is to stop the "triple punishment" of red card, penalty, suspension. It's meant to offer a bit of protection where the defender has made a genuine attempt to get the ball. I don't think he did, or if he did, it was so late and clumsy that it shouldn't be relevant.

I've seen red cards given for similar tackles in the centre circle!

:lol:

People seem to be pattiing our teams on their backs for brave performances that achieve nothing. 

What is all that about? Look at what ALL our clubs are achieving ffs. Nothing, not a jot while other nations clubs manage to at least progress in Europe.

13 hours ago, macy37 said:

Yet again its left to Celtic to fly the Scottish flag.

Aberdeen have a real bottle issue. Since the huns left they've had real opportunity to stamp home some authority yet shat it at each turn.

pathetic post

15 minutes ago, macy37 said:

People seem to be pattiing our teams on their backs for brave performances that achieve nothing. 

What is all that about? Look at what ALL our clubs are achieving ffs. Nothing, not a jot while other nations clubs manage to at least progress in Europe.

It's the same for the national team.

Loads of pundits and ex players on the TV, radio and the papers with an "aww, at least we gave it a go." message, and laughing at our own pathetic failures.

Or else always pretending that "there was something to be proud about from that performance" and "there's a real positive air about the squad right now", how many fecking times have we heard all that pish ? 

Typical losers mentality.

Edited by ErsatzThistle

1 hour ago, Zander_14 said:

If you watched the game, then your only really in a position to judge the performance, which then would reflect on 'the state' of the Scottish game.

Aberdeen played very well over the 2 legs.  If we had a Rooney that was banging in goals for fun like he has over the past few seasons, Aberdeen could of won the tie by about 3 or 4 goals over the 2-legs.

Unfortunately, he never and the rest is history.

On the game last night, The dons huffed and puffed and tried to play football at every opportunity. Their fitness levels were excellent and were still pushing on in the last 15mins.  Credit to them getting theirselves into that position before the proper season has even began.

The goal, yes it was a horror, but was irrelevant, its not like 'that' goal put them out.  0-0 and they were out anyway.  Freak goal no point dwelling on it.

Now for the referee.  It was quite simply a disgrace of a performance.  The penalty decision, the sending off, the blowing for a free-kick every f*ckign single time a dons player got within a meter of a Maribor player. Bloody pathetic. Uefa, have to review the refs performance and drop him from any future high level games.  If not this clown will continue to make an @rse of the game every time he refs a match.

No excuses for Rooney, he should of buried the pen, instead he struck the pen like it was his missus was in goals and didn't want to hurt her. Riffle the f*ckign thing into the net FFS.

Good post.

I think it was a red card for the keeper even under the new rules.  It was a clear goal scoring opportunity and he made no attempt to play the ball.  The tackle itself was two footed and high - could have been a red even in the centre circle.  The Stockley sending off is as harsh a sending off as i've ever seen (and i include Zola being sent off for making a great tackle in a World cup (I think it was against Cameroon USA 1994) in that!!).  I'm fully conscious that it's all too easy to criticise the ref, but he really did screw us over!!  He completely lost it.  He was poor for them too, a couple of bizarre bookings and free kicks whenever there was any form of contact and Shinnie could probably have walked for his challenge in the first half.

In terms of the fitba, we are better than them.  However, and I think Wolfie pretty much said it above, that doesn't seem to translate to results anymore for Scottish teams.  We don't seem as street wise, or patient, or clever (or whatever it is) as a lot of the teams we face. 

Rooney couldn't afford to miss the pen though.  Knowing the keeper should have gone seemed to make it a certainty he was going to save the pen!

For those claiming we are accepting of defeat, I don't any Dons fan is happy with the result, and we aren't accepting of our failure.  I can only speak on behalf of myself and say that we were superb over the two legs, easily the better team and should have gone through.  The bounce of a ball or a sh1t decision can change all of that though and that's all it was in this case.