Europa League 2016-17 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Europa League 2016-17

http://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/seedel2016.html

http://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/calendar2016.html

Everything you need to know, all courtesy all of the amazing Bert Kassies, the man who helps UEFA make sense of this incredibly complicated nonsense.

Aberdeen and Hearts enter in the first round and are seeded, Hibs enter in the second.

Hearts....despite having no pedigree in Europe, finishing behind Aberdeen in the league, and despite Aberdeen beating much higher placed teams in the last 2 years....have a higher co-efficient than Aberdeen and therefore will be seeded in the 2nd round (if they get through the first).

Aberdeen need a few seeded teams to lose in the 1st round to have a chance of being seeded in the 2nd, something which can make a considerable difference to advancing.

Hibs have a lower co-efficient than both Aberdeen and Hearts and will not be seeded in the 2nd round.

The draw for the 1st round is on the 20th June, and after a hectic 6 week period we can all stop thinking about it about it for another year. 

Edited by Rossy

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Rossy said:

We're almost there.

It starts before the Euro's finish.... :huh:

I know. Think it was 2 years ago,we played on the Thursday and the World Cup final was on the Sunday. 

*I may be wrong with that. 

1 minute ago, dandydunn said:

I know. Think it was 2 years ago,we played on the Thursday and the World Cup final was on the Sunday. 

*I may be wrong with that. 

Nah, you're right.

I doubt if Niall McGinn will take any part in our Euro 'campaign', as he'll need a break before the season starts. Let's hope Norn Iron get knocked out quickly.... ;)

Just now, macy37 said:

Who cares. Diddy cup and no Scottish teams will compete in the group stages unless Celtic get as far as the parachute drop.

Pointless cup.

:ok:

Thanks for taking part...

I thought, due to the 1St and 2nd qualifying round draw being made on the same day, Aberdeen were assured of being unseeded in round 2?

I think we need to draw and beat someone with a coefficient of around 10 or more I.E. Hadjuk split in round 2 to have a chance of being seeded in round 3.

Hearts due to being seeded in round 2 have no chance of being seeded in round 3 (since they'll play a non seed in round 2 and be relying on their own coefficient).

A bit like how we took rijeka's coefficient in round 3 last year rather than our own. 

22 minutes ago, Angus_Young said:

You are actually below Celtic, Rangers, Motherwell, Hearts, Dundee Utd and Hibs in the coefficient list. (in that order) 

Edit - scrap that I'm looking at a list from June 2015. 

That shows the illogical insanity of the whole thing.

Hearts, Hibs, Motherwell and Dundee United have collectively won something like 2 European ties out of 18 in the last 10 years. Their record has been one of the main reasons why Scotland's co-efficient is so pathetic.

Aberdeen in the last 2 years have beaten Groningen and Rijeka, teams ranked much higher by UEFA. 

I'm still waiting to hear why Hearts have a higher co-efficient, despite their record being awful. 

1 hour ago, andymac said:

Is because Hearts are a bigger team than Aberdeen.

1 minute ago, Rossy said:

Hearts, Hibs, Motherwell and Dundee United have collectively won something like 2 European ties out of 18 in the last 10 years. Their record has been one of the main reasons why Scotland's co-efficient is so pathetic.

Aberdeen in the last 2 years have beaten Groningen and Rijeka, teams ranked much higher by UEFA. 

I'm still waiting to hear why Hearts have a higher co-efficient, despite their record being awful. 

Pure guess work but I'd imagine Motherwell are higher based on appearing in a champ league qualifier and then the Europa league play off round or whatever it was. 

Same with Hearts being in the play off round of the Europa league twice in the last 5 years.

Even though they never won any I'd imagine it carries more points than earlier round wins?

Agree it's daft though 

Shows how heavily weighted it is to the bigger teams, Aberdeen and stjohnstone have both beaten higher ranked teams, but Motherwell and hearts got dropped in (and pumped) a round further forward so are ranked higher.

:lol:

I don't understand how he figures it out, but "Bert" was the highlight of this time of year. I was only just romanticising about the pounding the bookies in Swansea took when we went to Llanelli 1-0 down. Motherwell HT/ft and John Sutton 1st goal being the bets of choice.

:shocked:

9 hours ago, Rossy said:

Aye even if those standing are from last June it still doesn't make a lot of sense. What I do know is that points are taken from the previous 5 years and as is said above the fact Hearts played a couple of play-off ties will have gained them extra. From reading a bit on it, it would also appear that our coefficient at that time would have played a part in it, as well of course Champions League ties. 

I'm just looking forward to a wee trip abroad in the Sun in July. Hope it's not in Wales. 

Im also pleased how we have earnt the place in Europe. 

This game has no bearing on the season. I actually don't want us getting into the groups as it would be a major distraction. 

J

Edited by Bristolhibby

39 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Neither will you

Maybe not, although we have been the last couple of years.

12 minutes ago, Bristolhibby said:

I'm just looking forward to a wee trip abroad in the Sun in July. Hope it's not in Wales. 

Im also pleased how we have earnt the place in Europe. 

This game has no bearing on the season. I actually don't want us getting into the groups as it would be a major distraction. 

J

Hibs are unseeded in the 2nd round, so they won't draw a team from Wales. 

There's a not a single chance that Hibs (or Hearts or Aberdeen) will be in the group stages. Celtic will only get there because they'll fail again in the Champions League.

It's better to look upon these games as pre-season friendlies.

Edited by Rossy