Transfers, Rumours and Delusional Pish 2016/17/18 - Page 128 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Transfers, Rumours and Delusional Pish 2016/17/18

was great under Stubbs, carried an injury last season and lost out to Bartley. Was dissappointed he left.  We offered a deal, he said he wanted to think about it, took too long, Hibs withdrew the contract.

Will always be a Hibee Legend though.  Hope he does well.

On 2017-6-26 at 6:54 PM, Hertsscot said:

Anyone remember Davie Mitchell or Andy Kennedy, neither of those were great either although they were cheap compared to some of the later acquistions.

I remember Mitchell but have a blank on Kennedy. 

Can't agree with whoever thought McLelland wasn't bad. You couldn't tell which was his strongest side because they were both weak. Slow as a wet weekend in Blackpool but Good in the air. Not my idea of quality. 

2 minutes ago, SMcoolJ said:

Rangers made a bid of £300k for McLean!!!  Love the fact the west coast media propaganda machine quoted the figure as being £1M. 

If he isn't going to sign a new deal, I'd be actively looking to offload McLean to a side down south over the next few weeks. Christie is a vastly superior player in that position anyway. 

1 minute ago, Parklife said:

If he isn't going to sign a new deal, I'd be actively looking to offload McLean to a side down south over the next few weeks. Christie is a vastly superior player in that position anyway. 

McLean is far from being my favourite player and I agree with what you've said above.  However, it looks like he is going to extend.  Personally, I'd have tried swapped him Stewart on a permanent.   

Just now, SMcoolJ said:

However, it looks like he is going to extend.  

Where you getting that from? (not questioning, just haven't heard that). 

1 minute ago, Parklife said:

Where you getting that from? (not questioning, just haven't heard that). 

To be fair, I'm reading between the lines in the latest statement from McInnes - "absolutely no more exits from Pittodrie this window".  I don't think he'd be saying that if McLean wasn't going to extend - in other words, if Mclean did not extend now, we'd definitely be listening to decent offers......

15 minutes ago, SMcoolJ said:

Rangers made a bid of £300k for McLean!!!  Love the fact the west coast media propaganda machine quoted the figure as being £1M. 

"Also (and this will shock regular readers to the core) reports in the Daily Record that Rangers have bid £300k for Kenny McLean are, wait for it, not true."

This is from the Rangers observer website. The contributers seem to have genuine and accurate sources going by what they published so far (e.g. they were first to break the news on the retail deal).

Edited by theweestevie

1 minute ago, theweestevie said:

"Also (and this will shock regular readers to the core) reports in the Daily Record that Rangers have bid £300k for Kenny McLean are, wait for it, not true."

This is from the Rangers observer website. The contributers seem to have genuine and accurate sources going by what they published so far (e.g. they were first to break the news on the retail deal).

You're right. It's probably all just a tactic to unsettle him and AFC, in the hope of getting him for feck all next summer. 

3 minutes ago, Parklife said:

You're right. It's probably all just a tactic to unsettle him and AFC, in the hope of getting him for feck all next summer. 

Of course it is. Standard approach - nonsense offer made out loud and in media, unsettle player, increase pressure on host club, increase offer over time until deal happens.

2 minutes ago, SMcoolJ said:

Of course it is. Standard approach - nonsense offer made out loud and in media, unsettle player, increase pressure on host club, increase offer over time until deal happens.

Where do you suppose the media is getting it's information from? Rangers haven't been working with the media so far this summer. The Daily Record seems to always be among the first to report any Rangers related transfer activity, yet Rangers have not allowed them to attend any press conferences recently so it looks like the club isn't cooporating with them. Also all new player interviews etc. were conducted via Rangers TV and not through the MSM.

The opposite viewpoint is that Rangers made a bid which they felt was on the low side of what they felt was reasonable (tbf they aren't exactly going to jump in with an offer way above what they are willing to pay). Aberdeen wanted more money so released to the media to try to embarass Rangers and force them to up the offer. It has also been noted that the player has had a bit of interest from down south. So it could be Aberdeen released this to the media to signal to other interested clubs that activity was happening and if they wanted the player then they should act now, creating competition and as a result netting Aberdeen more money.

Or it could be to try to keep the Aberdeen fans onside? Maybe they have every intention of selling him now while they can get a fee from him rather than getting nothing next summer. They know that perhaps the fans might not be happy with this so the get Derek McInnes to come out and say that no other players will be leaving this summer. Then release these details to the press so they can then say, well an offer was made, it unsettled the player and we had no other choice as we don't want a player who isn't fully committed.

This reminds me of the O'Halloran tranfer, St Johnstone weren't going to sell him unless we paid them a lot more. The whole thing was pretty public, then right at the end of the window they accpeted the original offer.

Also looking at Rangers other transfers this summer, we didn't seem to undercut the other clubs we have dealt with. In fact 7 of the 8 transfers we had so far which involved fees were all resolved very quickly and quietly with no long drawn out public sagas. So stepping away from the "standard approach" seems to have been much more successful, maybe we should make that our new standard approach?