Panama papers - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Panama papers

Looks like there has been a massive leak of documents from a Panamanian legal company that specializes in tax avoidance for the rich and famous. Looks like a story that will keep on giving for a long time since 11 million pages of documents have been released. Particularly funny at the moment is the Icelandic pm when presented with the evidence in an interview

http://www.theguardian.com/news/2016/apr/03/iceland-pm-calls-snap-election-offshore-revelations

Panorama episode coming up soon with all the Brit's implicated too.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

55 minutes ago, Mee said:

Looks like there has been a massive leak of documents from a Panamanian legal company that specializes in tax avoidance for the rich and famous. Looks like a story that will keep on giving for a long time since 11 million pages of documents have been released. Particularly funny at the moment is the Icelandic pm when presented with the evidence in an interview

http://www.theguardian.com/news/2016/apr/03/iceland-pm-calls-snap-election-offshore-revelations

Panorama episode coming up soon with all the Brit's implicated too.

lol - definitely not the way to convince anyone that you havent done anything wrong

27 minutes ago, McDange said:

Strange... no mention of David Cameron's family involvement in the state Propaganda Machine. They've managed to turn it into another anti-Putin story.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-35918844 

Well it's no surprise that world leaders pals don't want to pay tax. The UK governments HMRC estate is managed by a tax exile company.

They just point to other dodgy shit to hide their own.

Oh I'm sure Alan will be along any minute now to explain how his deity, DC, is caught up in this.

Sure he'll also explain why his beloved HMRC, run from London, is evading tax by registering their properties in Jersey and Bermuda.

Oh the irony of the barstewards.

CfMqVNAWwAASUCT.jpg:large

50 minutes ago, phart said:

I've been going on about HMRC for ages now, Capita, Mapely, Hartnett.

I was actually working for them when the Lichtenstein Tax came up in 2008. It was a shambles.

A fine example of being "corrupt to the core". Although I'm not sure why there is an advantage in HMRC avoiding paying tax? Who gains from it?

44 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

A fine example of being "corrupt to the core". Although I'm not sure why there is an advantage in HMRC avoiding paying tax? Who gains from it?

Mapely was the company that maintained the buildings etc, Capita did the inside cleaning etc, neither are publicly owned but got paid to administer the estates of the civil service.

They aren't part of HMRC they looked after the estate.

I was going to bring it up the only time i met one of the senior civil servants but unfortunately it slipped my mind as i had to correct her for lying about computers. We were complaining about computers and said she got on no problem this morning, when in actual fact i had spent 15 mins and 4 work stations trying to get her one. Just glibly talking shit so used to no one correcting her. I pointed it out to her quite stridently that i had to spend 15 minutes finding her a computer that morning then never got to another meeting again. The place was full of folk trying to "progress" so anyone below you is worthless, anyone the same is competition and everyone above you slavishly suck up to them.

I used to review all the training material for my department add in steps or remove steps, check the material taught the skills needed etc. Then my Bosses colleague would go down to London and give a speech based on my work at some swanky hotel Dinner meeting place.

So  i resigned and went and did other shit.

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

HMRC doesnt pay Tax itself per se

The problem with HMRC is that successive Governments are intent on privatising it.

It used to be that those at the very top of the Inland Revenue were senior Civil Servants who in the main had did their time within the Inland Revenue.

There were very few at the top who were not Inland Revenue trained tax experts.

It was the same with the Customs and Excise

When they decided to "mordernise" and cuts costs both organisations were merged.

While they closed offices and reduced the workforce they also changed it at the top and created numerous Senior Executive posts and filled them from the private sector.

Move on 15-20 years and you now have at least half of the HMRC workforce who know very little about tax who  contribute almost nothing to tax collection.

Most of the the highest paid jobs in HMRC do not require you to have any tax knowledge and are all concerned with statistics and bean counting.

They are currently taking on new staff, giving them two weeks training which in total consists of listening in to experienced officers take calls and then they are put on the phones and expected to answer tax queries

I see the British media is circling the wagons and concentrating on over seas [ex] leaders, Putin in particular even though his name doesn't appear on any of the documents.

No doubt the phone lines will be red hot from the establishment today/tonight to all the press barons.

What am thinking! The press barons are some of the biggest tax avoiders.

No doubt the some royals will be involved, but we'll never get to hear about it unless an outside source reveals that.

4 hours ago, phart said:

Mapely was the company that maintained the buildings etc, Capita did the inside cleaning etc, neither are publicly owned but got paid to administer the estates of the civil service.

They aren't part of HMRC they looked after the estate.

Cheers, that makes sense noo.

The silence from this scandal is astounding, but not unsurprising.

us plebs just shrugging our shoulders and saying "I knew they were at it", is exactly what they want us to do. We should be up in arms about this and shouting from the rooftops. 

At a time where the poorest and most vulnerable in our society are being hammered, where 0 hour contracts are slipping into the mainstream, these cants are dodging tax and the rest of us.

Yet let's all focus on benefits Britian and the immigrants. It's these cants at the top that need to be held to account.

J

Just to continue BH's point above, one of the saddest aspects of this whole scandal is how timidly the people of Britain will react to it.

The Icelandic people are on the streets demanding their Prime Minister resign.

Brits will shrug their shoulders, ignore it, and get on with blaming immigrants and benefit thieves for everything.

The agenda in the UK has well and truly been set by the right-wingers. People are brainwashed, supine and powerless.

Edited by Rossy