Panama papers - Page 6 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Panama papers

1 hour ago, EddardStark said:

Thresholds for IHT should be kept although not sure if the current levels are too high but the current Salem style witch hunt against a perfectly legitimate practice is concerning.

Second property tax is slightly different. Speculative buyers accumulating wealth at the expense of pushing up local house prices should be discouraged

There are plenty of legitimate practices that people can feel anger towards and rightly complain about. Just because it doesn't break the law doesn't always make something right particularly when you look at who is making these laws.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, EddardStark said:

Thresholds for IHT should be kept although not sure if the current levels are too high but the current Salem style witch hunt against a perfectly legitimate practice is concerning.

Second property tax is slightly different. Speculative buyers accumulating wealth at the expense of pushing up local house prices should be discouraged

No, it isn't concerning.

It's a direct consequence of the Tories idealogical attacks (aided by the right wing press) on the less fortunate in UK society.

For either right or wrong, the perception is that the Tories look after the better off and demonise the rest.

You can't expect there not to be a reaction to that.

10 hours ago, antidote said:

So corporation tax is not a tax? Inheritance tax is not a tax? road tax is not a tax? The list is quite extensive.

Even the bbc licence fee can be considered a tax, pay your licence fee and the beeb pays taxes to the uk gov.

How naive of you and if anybody is embarrassing themselves it is you.

Just because it is does not have tax in the title doesn't really mean its not a tax, NI for example.

Again you chose to only consider direct taxation, but not the indirect taxes.

UK corporation tax is lower than that in Spain, France, Germany, Belgium. Sweden, Italy. Denmark, Austria and so on,

National insurance was factored into into the figures I quoted and this was stated in my post.

UK road tax is lower than Germany. Italy, Denmark, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Netherlands and so on.

The licence fee in not mandatory.

15 minutes ago, Larky Masher said:

UK corporation tax is lower than that in Spain, France, Germany, Belgium. Sweden, Italy. Denmark, Austria and so on,

National insurance was factored into into the figures I quoted and this was stated in my post.

UK road tax is lower than Germany. Italy, Denmark, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Netherlands and so on.

The licence fee in not mandatory.

Council tax?

1 hour ago, ParisInAKilt said:

I don't think it really matters what % corporation and private tax levels are, as long as there's legitimate and illegal ways to cheat the system then individuals and companies will go for it. 

Correct and you could say that the government seems to deliberately leave doors open for people to get around the tax system.

Doors that can only be fully opened by the rich.

Edited by antidote

17 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

I'd vote for Corbyn. You'd hope most of the U.K. Would especially after all this 

I wouldn't.  Most of the population of Scotland wouldn't.  We have better alternatives, none of which contain the word "Labour".

Corbyn is against independence for Scotland, so he can get tae feck.  He has no leadership qualities and much as I don't really care which party gets into power at Westminster (they're basically the same), I can recognise that having some leadership ability is a useful attribute for a PM.  Corbyn is a bit of a joke really, risen to his current level because there was nobody less bad to choose from.

30 minutes ago, Alibi said:

I wouldn't.  Most of the population of Scotland wouldn't.  We have better alternatives, none of which contain the word "Labour".

Corbyn is against independence for Scotland, so he can get tae feck.  He has no leadership qualities and much as I don't really care which party gets into power at Westminster (they're basically the same), I can recognise that having some leadership ability is a useful attribute for a PM.  Corbyn is a bit of a joke really, risen to his current level because there was nobody less bad to choose from.

Depends what you're hoping to achieve in terms of saying we have better alternatives. I can't think of a better way in terms of playing the political game to get a fairer society than electing a uk party led by Corbyn. 

1 hour ago, Alibi said:

:ok:

Property tax?

"Charges like stamp duty, council tax, capital gains tax, inheritance tax and business rates are higher in the UK than any of the 33 other members of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD)"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2489554/Britons-pay-highest-property-taxes-world-Charges-like-stamp-duty-mean-fork-60BILLION-year.html

9 minutes ago, antidote said:

Property tax?

"Charges like stamp duty, council tax, capital gains tax, inheritance tax and business rates are higher in the UK than any of the 33 other members of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD)"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2489554/Britons-pay-highest-property-taxes-world-Charges-like-stamp-duty-mean-fork-60BILLION-year.html

Yes badge and quoting the daily mail to make a political point. Brilliant. 

26 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

"No leadership ability"

What like Blair, Cameron or Osborne? 

You have to wonder if people actually want real change or just more of the same with a different flag or colour on it. 

What change?

Like all the other historic Labour leaders who wanted Scotland under the rule of westminster.

Red tory/blue tory they're all the same.

8 minutes ago, antidote said:

What change?

Like all the other historic Labour leaders who wanted Scotland under the rule of westminster.

Red tory/blue tory they're all the sams

Only when viewed through the narrow lens of independence. 

Like it or not Scotland is part of the Union for the foreseeable future. Social change, assuming that this is important to you, is surely best achieved via a Corbyn government? 

6 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Only when viewed through the narrow lens of independence. 

Like it or not Scotland is part of the Union for the foreseeable future. Social change, assuming that this is important to you, is surely best achieved via a Corbyn government? 

Viewed through Independence or not Labour leaders in the past have been just as bad at cuts etc. as the tories when in power.