The Two Squads - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Two Squads

ErsatzThistle

2 minutes ago, Geed said:

if true strachans missing a gem by letting him go so easy

Are we talking about a different Scott Arfield? He's completely average and about 5 levels below players like James Morrison (who's hardly fantastic himself). 

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

What about some predicted starting line-ups for the two matches?

Really hoping we don't go with that same awful, flat formation again. Works fine if you have creative ball players - 2 upfront is the way to go...

Agreed,rather give it a go than losing every game by the odd goal after a tired defence makes a mistake.

3 hours ago, ProudScot said:

What about some predicted starting line-ups for the two matches?

Really hoping we don't go with that same awful, flat formation again. Works fine if you have creative ball players - 2 upfront is the way to go...

At the moment I'd pick these players but to be honest I'm not entirely sure because of the "pick and mix" nature of the two squads. 

Czech Republic:

McGregor, Hutton, Martin, Berra, Robertson, Anya, D Fletcher, Bannan, Snodgrass, Naismith, S Fletcher.

Denmark:

Marshall, Anya, Cooper, Hanley, Whittaker, Bridcutt, Ritchie, Brown, Murphy, S Fletcher, Griffiths.

Edited by ErsatzThistle

I can see both sides on the Strachan debate. I agree there are certainly some bizarre inclusions in the squads but I think that having two squads is a decent idea and we need to give more players a chance to step up.  If 3 or 4 lads can really stake a claim for the next campaign,  then fair enough. 

That said,  the exclusion of Shinnie is baffling.  He's really excellent,  the most deserving Dons player in years.  With Reynolds, Anderson, Jack etc,  the case for a call-up would be based on potential,  spl performances and the lack of quality in the squad generally. It's different with Shinnie,  he's a Scotland player all day long. 

4 hours ago, Geed said:

I never saw that article, if true strachans missing a gem by letting him go so easy, him, McDonald and Bannan all work there socks off in midfield.

Says spoke with Strachan and he made no effort to change his mind.

http://www.deadlinenews.co.uk/2016/02/09/scotland-manager-gordon-strachan-wishes-scott-arfield-well-on-canada-switch/

Really not worried by the arfield aliegence switch. I just don't see the benefit of adding yet another championship level player to the squad that's already much of a muchness. We have pretty much nobody playing for top clubs consistently in the top leagues ie England Spain Germany etc. As strachan said we need a bale, ibrimivovich type, not another that we already have loads of.Good luck to him for using the system to get international football though. 

Oh aye and predictable horrendous journalism by moron uk tabloid twats yesterday re strachan picking tony watt - they were trying to say strachan had compared Watt to ibrohimovich in the headlines when he did no such thing. He just pointed out that we need a player that can produce something a bit different in the final 3rd. 

11 minutes ago, JECK said:

Oh aye and predictable horrendous journalism by moron uk tabloid twats yesterday re strachan picking tony watt - they were trying to say strachan had compared Watt to ibrohimovich in the headlines when he did no such thing. He just pointed out that we need a player that can produce something a bit different in the final 3rd. 

With a few honourable exceptions, the standard of football journalism in Scotland is truly dire. The Daily Record's hacks being the very bottom of a particularly rotten barrel.

They had an article yesterday on the "controversial" omission of world beaters Scott Fox, Stephen Kingsley and Jason Holt from the team. :blink:

I'm reluctant to say it really, but the comparisons with Vogts feel merited. When I saw the squads I thought of the friendly against Estonia that some of us will remember travelling to. I remember standing in the ground and being bemused that quite a few of those on the park were anywhere near a game for Scotland, and thinking 'how the fvck did it come to this?' Hopefully Scotland play well in both games, and a couple of the new players emerge as genuine options, but too many of those names make me think of  the likes of Steven Caldwell, Robbie Stockdale, Gareth Williams, Scott Dobie and Warren Cummings. Hopefully I'm 100% wrong.

On 10/03/2016 at 7:21 PM, Rossy said:

In 5 years time we'll be ridiculing Strachan in the same way as we're doing to Vogts just now.

Sadly, I think you may be right.

The last campaign would see Strachan get 4/10, anyone would have got us to 4th place. He was very lucky to be offered a new contract, and if he keeps this crap up, it will have been a mistake. Still, im sure he has a very funny comment about a yoghurt to make at his next interview.

6 hours ago, Pool Q said:

I'm reluctant to say it really, but the comparisons with Vogts feel merited. When I saw the squads I thought of the friendly against Estonia that some of us will remember travelling to. I remember standing in the ground and being bemused that quite a few of those on the park were anywhere near a game for Scotland, and thinking 'how the fvck did it come to this?' Hopefully Scotland play well in both games, and a couple of the new players emerge as genuine options, but too many of those names make me think of  the likes of Steven Caldwell, Robbie Stockdale, Gareth Williams, Scott Dobie and Warren Cummings. Hopefully I'm 100% wrong.

Hes chosen to pick 2 lots of 16 for 2 different friendlies and if nobody steps up its business as usual.

Vogts didn't have a business as usual, there's no comparison at all.

Business as usual hasnt been very good. If you can't see any comparisons that's fine, as I say I hope that it turns out to be a worthwhile exercise. I'm all for trying out new players who are clearly either good enough or have a lot of potential. Whether this is what Strachan is doing here, or it is his version of the scattergun time will telll.

Turns out Oliver Burke was born in Scotland (Kirkcaldy) and not in Melton Mowbray like so many people thought.

he has confirmed it on Twitter and his Wiki page has been updated.

Edited by wanderer

2 hours ago, wanderer said:
On 3/10/2016 at 7:21 PM, Rossy said:

The more I look at the squads, the more I realise that we're still in the fast-lane of the long road to nowhere.

Hutton must the be the worst defender (not just right-back) in the country. Steven Fletcher ? Forrest ? A guy who failed in the SPL but plays OK against Alloa ? An 18 year old completely untried left-back ?

This is the identical, unrelenting scattergun pish that Vogts tried. 

In 5 years time we'll be ridiculing Strachan in the same way as we're doing to Vogts just now.

In what sense is he completely untried at left back? He has played pretty much a full season and behind Griffiths has arguably been our best player. I think this attitude around age and experience is so over rated and has held us back for a long long time.

Now I'm not suggesting he should be in the squad, tbh, I think Shinnie should be there but I understand why he has been included. 

Can understand why Tierney has been included - no chance that he and Robertson might do a McGrain and Jardine? Strachan often plays flank men on the 'wrong' wing but I guess it might be more difficult defensively.  Surprised that Whittaker is in whereas Shinnie isn't.

Find it strange that McCormack continues to be overlooked and that Martin still gets included - no doubt he's a good Championship player but not seen anything that convinces me he can make a difference at a higher level (unfortunately).

Surprised that Arfield has been overlooked, he palyed very well in EPL last season and will probably be a regular in EPL next season as well.  We atually haven't got too many players who fit into that category - if Arfield has finally decided to represent Canada then best of luck to him but I wouldn't have minded him in the squad

7 hours ago, wembley67lisbon said:

Now I remember why at times I hated him as Celtic manager. Has his favourites and is totally blinded by it.

james Forrest ffs. 

Form means nothing to strachan.

He seems to really rate Forrest for some reason...