The Two Squads - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Two Squads

ErsatzThistle

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Pâté said:

He should never have had his contract renewed - I would have rather given someone new these next 4 games to build up a refreshed squad, rather than a regressed squad.

I saw a lot of progress under Gordon. Performances were really good with a nation of limited ability. We were 'unlucky' to see ROI take 4 points off of Germany.

Stay calm, support the team.

This group is extremely favourable for the first time in a while

23 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Strachan is seriously starting to hack me off, I know that we will never agree on the squads he choses but you cannot leave out one of the best players in our league like shinnie

Can't wait for the inevitable 3rd or 4th place finish though.

Unfortunately, I think that's about the level we're at just now.  These squads just reflect that.  It isn't as if Strachan is overlooking players who play regularly in the EPL or la Liga.

Personally, I'd have liked to have seen Tam Cairney, Ross McCormack and Jordan Rhodes get picked but even so, those are three English Championship players I'm talking about.

Then again, he has picked a player who plays in the Scottish Championship ... :unsure:

Edited by scotlad
Just noticed...

6 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Unfortunately, I think that's about the level we're at just now.  These squads just reflect that.  It isn't as if Strachan is overlooking players who play regularly in the EPL or la Liga.

Personally, I'd have liked to have seen Tam Cairney, Ross McCormack and Jordan Rhodes get picked but even so, those are three English Championship players I'm talking about.

Then again, he has picked a player who plays in the Scottish Championship ... :unsure:

Having championship players doesn't seem to have an adverse effect on Northern Ireland, Rep of Ireland, Wales............. are Iceland full of superstars from the EPL and La Liga.

Its our persistence with "experience" and our fear of anything further east than Belgium that causes us problems

pish squads full of 2nd division garbage.

No Rhodes, or Shinnie ? And a guy who was rubbish in the Premiership but plays OK against Alloa gets a place ?

Strachan is becoming as big a joke as Vogts.

I am loosing the faith.  

Any manager might have favourites but their are guys who have been taken into the squad and never got a game.  So you think they must get a game next time in a meaningless friendly. No. Not in the squad.

Just can't fathom what he is doing with bringing players into squads with no intention of ever actually picking or playing them.  

15 minutes ago, GaryWood34 said:

I saw a lot of progress under Gordon. Performances were really good with a nation of limited ability. We were 'unlucky' to see ROI take 4 points off of Germany.

Stay calm, support the team.

This group is extremely favourable for the first time in a while

Ireland's 4 points off of Germany wouldn't have mattered if we hadn't naively squandered winning positions twice against Poland and lost to a team ranked about 100 places below us.  Strachan should have been punted the minute he had to "decide" whether he wanted to stay in the job or not.  That last campaign was a disaster and if had happened under Levein or Burley the press and majority of fans would have made sure he got his jotters but as it's cuddly wee Gord he gets an easy ride. 

Shinnies mistake was nae moving south of Stonehaven, absolute joke that he's nae in one of the squads!!!! ^?^

Mind you he went to the Gib game & was the only one nae to kick a ball so the writing was on the wall then. :mad:

Least he won't get injured wi Scotland & keep him fit for the league title !!!!:lol:

3 minutes ago, RDFH64 said:

Shinnies mistake was nae moving south of Stonehaven, absolute joke that he's nae in one of the squads!!!! ^?^

Mind you he went to the Gib game & was the only one nae to kick a ball so the writing was on the wall then. :mad:

I've no idea if this is why he didn't get on in the second half but he definitely didn't deserve to because of his antics at half time.

Really wish Tierney and Robertson both weren't left backs, they are both a class act and going to go far, one on either side of the defence would be quality going forward! Graeme shinnie was a class act at Inverness and carried that team at times now he has gone up a level up and is still over looked to play someone like whittaker at left back :( 

9 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

what did he do?

jumped over the advertising boards and into the away end to get photos with a few fans - most likely his mates.

All the other subs continued to warm up and knock a ball about between them whilst this went on.

2 minutes ago, clarky1606 said:

jumped over the advertising boards and into the away end to get photos with a few fans - most likely his mates.

All the other subs continued to warm up and knock a ball about between them whilst this went on.

oh dear god

he should never be called up again and he should stand trial for this crime too.

17 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Their finishing makes up for a lot, admittedly, but Watt is a natural finisher, too

For a team that (Gib aside) scored 10 goals in qualifying isn't finishing what we are after?

I don't disagree entirely with Watt being included in the squad but if your going to include him he should be in with Rhodes McCormack and Griffiths while our established strikers are left out until May/June friendlies.

Strachan could have used a few other little capped or uncapped players, however guys calling for his head are to the extreme.

Overall I think some of us are getting a wee bit carried away with the standard of the selection - these squads in no way represent what squad we will have come Malta.

Edited by Mazziessc

Seeing what Brighton fans are saying about Murphy and Greer.... Murphy looks to be in the squad on merit as his confidence is sky high just now..... Greer has hardly kicked a ball since coming back from injury down to his replacement Connor Goldson playing brilliantly and the managers 'keep the jersey' policy'.

13 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

oh dear god

he should never be called up again and he should stand trial for this crime too.

Comical is it!! I really hope that ain't the reason Strachan has left him out. He more than deserves his chance to show what he can do for Scotland.

Strachan clearly isn't a fan of anyone who plays for Aberdeen and its looking like he just calls up 1 player at a time as a token gesture in hope that it will keep us Aberdeen fans happy.

Jack vs Croatia - unused sub 

Pawlett vs. Nigeria - unused sub

Reynolds - various call ups but never played (I think Strachan even said in the NI/GIB double header that every player would play at some point then realized his mistake when it was pointed out that Reynolds & Stevie May didn't feature in either game?)

Shinnie vs. Poland/GIB - unused sub

Kenny MacLean....................................

Shinnie and Rhodes are really unlucky I think. We are unusually flush at left back atm but I would've thought his ability to play midfield would have merited a call. That plus Tierney is still really young. It seems obvious now that wgs simply doesn't rate Rhodes. I'm not fussed about McCormack or any of the others, more concerned about the total lack of options at centre back!

1 hour ago, Donaldo87 said:

Somewhere Tartan Tammy 1314 (think that was his name) is dancing a jig at Jamie Murphy being called up

??

1 hour ago, GaryWood34 said:

Very pleased.

Only note I would make is that S Fletcher can do no wrong despite being garbage and that if McGinn was called up then why was Jason Holt not given the call up.

Paterson would have been in if not for his arm injury.

Because Mcginn is better?