January Transfer News - Page 36 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

January Transfer News

The annoying thing for me is that McInnes doesn't supplement our first team with youth players. We're short up front and our best young forward is on loan at st Mirren.

Cammy smith barely gets a kick. Scott Wright is the same.

Our squad is so thin. 2 injuries in certain positions and we've got no one at all to cover.

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The annoying thing for me is that McInnes doesn't supplement our first team with youth players. We're short up front and our best young forward is on loan at st Mirren.

Cammy smith barely gets a kick. Scott Wright is the same.

Our squad is so thin. 2 injuries in certain positions and we've got no one at all to cover.

Maybe some of these guys will get more of a chance in the rest of the season.

I won't be holding my breath on that though...

There are weaknesses but these players have got us to within six points of Celtic in February, if we win tomorrow it's only three points. The only player I feel is a massive loss is ward but he was never ours t begin with.

Unfortunately we no longer have the players that got us to within 6 points. Even then, we are still 6 points behind the poorest Celtic team I can ever remember. I am the last person to condone rash purchases and the scattergun approach, but clearly a midfielder and a centre half are needed, not only to help us win on Wed but to send a message that we are serious about the challenge. Agree that if we win on wed, most if this gets forgotten about. However, if we lose then I suspect the knives will be out.

It just looks awfully like we're settling for Europe.

Simon Church will score goals in Scotland. I've always rated him, and he has played a few games in the Championship this season and will be going to the Euro's. He'll be looking for 6-8 goals and a bit of a run to try and force a start in France.

The reason is there is quite a bit of needle between the ICT chairman and the powers that be at Pittodrie. The latter have been quite derogatory to ICT in the past and also how they conducted themselves in the pursuit of Shinnie.

There was absolutely no way on earth ICT were going to sell Tansey to Aberdeen today.

Aberdeen have nobody to blame but themselves for this

Rubbish. What would be the point in putting a clause in if it is "confidential" a club could bid and bid and bid and not come close to what the the clause is if it's "confidential" so what would be the point of that? Aberdeen have been a bit naughty here and tapped him up i believe. They really don't conduct themselves well when it comes to dealing with ICT for whatever reason.

Have to say i don't blame the ICT chairman for not selling to them.

Aye I'm sure he's another one who's obsessed...

I've no idea if he's obsessed or not. I don't even know who he is as a poster.

I'm still waiting for him to post absolute proof of his assertion though.

It's interesting to see some Dons fans think there is now a title race after months of telling everybody that there isn't one.

I'm amazed at how pish Celtic are. There was always a title race.

I'm pleased with our signings this month. A Danish international defender, a £14m winger and we've swapped a poor Turkish forward with an attitude problem for a less poor Turkish international forward with an attitude problem.

Edited by PASTA Mick

I'm pleased with our signings this month. A Danish international defender, a £14m winger and we've swapped a poor Turkish forward with an attitude problem for a less poor Turkish international forward with an attitude problem.

You say '£14M winger' as if that means something? Only thing it proves, is that the insanity down South is ever increasing. He is very highly rated though, it's definitely the signing that I would be most excited about.

What did you make of the lad that came on? Seems decent on the ball. Wasn't just me or did he look like he could be doing with losing a bit of timber?

I'm amazed at how little ambition Aberdeen have shown in this window given how pish Celtic are.

There's plenty of mumping and moaning from Dons fans on this thread (including me) pointing that out.

In reality though, which players...within Aberdeen's financial reality...that moved in this window would have improved Aberdeen ?

Cowie ? Maybe, but give me a younger Greg Tansey everyday. Aside from him, I can't think of any player that changed clubs that would have made Aberdeen's title challenge any stronger.

You should be. No one is expecting auld baldy to throw millions at it but a wee bit of help for his manager isn't too much to ask.

I don't disagree.

But I'm still struggling to think of any player that moved within Scotland (that we could have realistically afforded) that would significantly have improved the team.

Surely adding one imaginative loan signing and adding a wee bit of depth in areas you're short would have given everyone a lift though.

I don't know, maybe McInnes didn't have any ideas within budget it just seems that the Jambo's have been far more proactive this window.

Surely adding one imaginative loan signing and adding a wee bit of depth in areas you're short would have given everyone a lift though.

I don't know, maybe McInnes didn't have any ideas within budget it just seems that the Jambo's have been far more proactive this window.

At first glance, that would seem to be the case.

Proactive isn't always a guarantee of success though. Hibs for years had a scattergun approach to transfer windows, but ultimately it did them no good.

McInnes has a decent record in the January window....Rooney, Logan and McLean all arrived in January, and all have been excellent investments.

As I said earlier, aside from the obvious signings we could (should ?) have made to try and challenge Celtic, there's very little pressure on Aberdeen in this window. We're not in the cup, we're pretty much guaranteed a European place, and we only have 15 games left to play this season.

McInnes and Milne have obviously decided that...Tansey aside...there was nobody out there within our budget that was going to improve the side. Quite a few of us are moaning about it, but McInnes has done enough good trhings for the club to deserve the right for his decisions to be respected.

Nothing we can do about it, onwards to tomorrow...

Edited by Rossy

We could've moved for Tansey one week ago. Why wait until the last minute?

We're short in defence and on the wings. I agree it's not always easy to bring players in but we should've been looking at at least a loan from down south (like McLaughlin who left) to provide that cover. Who in the development squad can step up in defence if need be?

We have Scott Wright to cover on the wing. However, Mcinnes played Josh Parker more than him which hardly inspires confidence... I assume Pawlett will be shunted wide, where he's ineffective IMO.

I agree that we shouldn't sign folk just for the sake of it but we're badly short. Who's playing rb if Logan gets injured, for example?

At first glance, that would seem to be the case.

Proactive isn't always a guarantee of success though. Hibs for years had a scattergun approach to transfer windows, but ultimately it did them no good.

McInnes has a decent record in the January window....Rooney, Logan and McLean all arrived in January, and all have been excellent investments.

As I said earlier, aside from the obvious signings we could (should ?) have made to try and challenge Celtic, there's very little pressure on Aberdeen in this window. We're not in the cup, we're pretty much guaranteed a European place, and we only have 15 games left to play this season.

McInnes and Milne have obviously decided that...Tansey aside...there was nobody out there within our budget that was going to improve the side. Quite a few of us are moaning about it, but McInnes has done enough good trhings for the club to deserve the right for his decisions to be respected.

Nothing we can do about it, onwards to tomorrow...

That's assuming it was McInnes who decided there was no signings other than Tansey coming in to be fair.

getting over a million for Sow and still having him available for Sunday will be an excellent bit of business for Hearts and getting Duada in who was our number one target is a bonus too.

King would have been out of the team with Nicholson and Walker returning from injury and Gomis would have been further down the pecking order with Cowie coming in so don't mind seeing them loaned out.

Swanson never really seemed to cut it so not that bothered to see him go and Souttar looks like a good investment and not that disappointed to see McGhee's move to Boro fall through

Very happy to have kept hold of Nicholson, Walker and Paterson though, thought one of them might have been off.

Very good transfer window for Hearts