January Transfer News - Page 35 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

January Transfer News

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to see Sow leave, but the reported fee for him is good business. With Gomis and King out on loan, and Soutar, Dauda and Cowie coming in it looks like we have done OK in the transfer window. To be honest though I know hee-haw about Dauda, and haven't seen Cowie play for years, so I've really no idea if they are as good, better or worse than what they are replacing. Signing a defender makes sense, we are weak at the back, but Soutar is young and inconsistent, I've not always been impressed with him when I've seen him play. Be interesting to know the fee involved, Scottish clubs do tend to badly underpay when buying from each other. Not a fan of January signings, certainly not last minute ones, but initial impression is that Levein and Neilson have done their job well.

Signing Souttar is a coup for Hearts. He's not a defender in my opinion and has had a difficult year (along with rest of the squad) but he has limitless potential. I always knew he would leave, but assumed it would be to Celtic or a big English club.

I think he's the last of the golden generation gone and there's us 11 points in the shit. A very sad day.

So, the club who have a thicko manager who publicly states you don't stand in someone's way when the Old Firm come calling apparently rejected this this due to the wording of the release clause being ambiguous.

Could it be they wanted the release figure and what they have to pay Stevenage?

Hearts have strengthened, Celtic have strengthened. Aberdeen ship out 5 and get in 2. Oh well, Dons fans might be fecked off, but not as much as Greg Tansey!!

As much as I would have liked to see us add more players to the squad, there is no reason to suggest Celtic and hearts have strengthened yet. They've added numbers but those players could be pish.

So, the club who have a thicko manager who publicly states you don't stand in someone's way when the Old Firm come calling apparently rejected this this due to the wording of the release clause being ambiguous.

I thought it was because Aberdeen were kqunts ? :blink:

As much as I would have liked to see us add more players to the squad, there is no reason to suggest Celtic and hearts have strengthened yet. They've added numbers but those players could be pish.

Given how short you boys are in certain areas, I think adding a ball boy to their respective squads would be enough to say they had strengthened.

It's even pissing me off now :)

Given how short you boys are in certain areas, I think adding a ball boy to their respective squads would be enough to say they had strengthened.

It's even pissing me off now :)

Goodwillie gone - I'm happy with that, I no longer rate him. Simon church comes in and he will be given a chance. Goodwillie only came on with ten minutes to go anyway and I'd rather see the likes of Cammy Smith given more time on the pitch to improve.

Quinn gone - he wants to start every week and he not good enough to do that at AFC. We are short of cover here but Considine can play CB should we lose Reynolds or Taylor.

Ward gone but nothing much we can do about that as he wasn't our player.

I'd have liked to see more players come in but the January transfer window isn't the be all and end all of football unless people believe everything sky sports tell them.

Yes, very true. Even if they aren't great players, however, they still seem willing to be proactive, but I take your point. We have shown very little ambition, that's the real concern. Especially when there are some fairly clear weaknesses at the moment.

Yes, very true. Even if they aren't great players, however, they still seem willing to be proactive, but I take your point. We have shown very little ambition, that's the real concern. Especially when there are some fairly clear weaknesses at the moment.

There are weaknesses but these players have got us to within six points of Celtic in February, if we win tomorrow it's only three points. The only player I feel is a massive loss is ward but he was never ours t begin with.

I'd have liked to see more players come in but the January transfer window isn't the be all and end all of football unless people believe everything sky sports tell them.

In the sense that we've only got 15 games left to play, you're right.

It does smack though of conceding the Championship to Celtic before we've even given it a good go....and given that our squad's paper thin, there's always the danger that a couple of injuries and/or suspensions will see Hearts close in on us.

But....I reckon Milne and McInnes have had a look at the players out there and decided (Tansey aside) that there was nobody available that we wanted at this moment in time. They've also looked at the league table and seen that...barring some kind of mad, mental disaster....European football is pretty much guaranteed next season, and given that both 2nd place and 3rd place start at the same point there's very little risk left for the Dons in the rest of the season.

We've done well in the January window in the last couple of years, bringing in real quality in Rooney, Logan and McLean. I'd rather we waited until summer and get the players in that McInnes really wants, rather than adopt a scattergun policy just now.

It still feels though that we're rather dangerously exposed in a few positions.

Goodwillie gone - I'm happy with that, I no longer rate him. Simon church comes in and he will be given a chance. Goodwillie only came on with ten minutes to go anyway and I'd rather see the likes of Cammy Smith given more time on the pitch to improve.

Quinn gone - he wants to start every week and he not good enough to do that at AFC. We are short of cover here but Considine can play CB should we lose Reynolds or Taylor.

Ward gone but nothing much we can do about that as he wasn't our player.

From what I've seen and heard of you boys, Goodwillie offered bugger all anyway so getting shot of him seems sensible.

My mate actually said to me at the weekend that everyone would say it was terrible move letting Quinn go because he had just scored in a semi final. He agrees with you completely.

I think you are spot on regarding the window, and I do think some clubs get pressured into buying, because a huge number of supporters get caught up in all the Sky Sports pish. That said though, I do think you boys would have really benefitted from adding a couple of faces. There are players in your team that are now pretty much guaranteed their place until the end of the season (as you have just touched on). As I said a couple of pages ago, what do you do if Rooney gets injured or loses a bit of form for example?

Speak to most Celtic fans and they will tell you that they are there for the taking. Tim at work last night summed it up perfectly. 'thank feck Aberdeen don't really believe they can win the league'. Hard to argue with that.

Anyway not much you can do now, and I'll be delighted to be proved wrong.

From what I've seen and heard of you boys, Goodwillie offered bugger all anyway so getting shot of him seems sensible.

My mate actually said to me at the weekend that everyone would say it was terrible move letting Quinn go because he had just scored in a semi final. He agrees with you completely.

I think you are spot on regarding the window, and I do think some clubs get pressured into buying, because a huge number of supporters get caught up in all the Sky Sports pish. That said though, I do think you boys would have really benefitted from adding a couple of faces. There are players in your team that are now pretty much guaranteed their place until the end of the season (as you have just touched on). As I said a couple of pages ago, what do you do if Rooney gets injured or loses a bit of form for example? ow

Speak to most Celtic fans and they will tell you that they are there for the taking. Tim at work last night summed it up perfectly. 'thank feck Aberdeen don't really believe they can win the league'. Hard to argue with that.

If we beat them tomorrow we won't even remember the transfer window

In the sense that we've only got 15 games left to play, you're right.

It does smack though of conceding the Championship to Celtic before we've even given it a good go....and given that our squad's paper thin, there's always the danger that a couple of injuries and/or suspensions will see Hearts close in on us.

But....I reckon Milne and McInnes have had a look at the players out there and decided (Tansey aside) that there was nobody available that we wanted at this moment in time. They've also looked at the league table and seen that...barring some kind of mad, mental disaster....European football is pretty much guaranteed next season, and given that both 2nd place and 3rd place start at the same point there's very little risk left for the Dons in the rest of the season.

We've done well in the January window in the last couple of years, bringing in real quality in Rooney, Logan and McLean. I'd rather we waited until summer and get the players in that McInnes really wants, rather than adopt a scattergun policy just now.

It still feels though that we're rather dangerously exposed in a few positions.

I think you are spot on in terms of your long term approach. There is no question you are in a stable position and a shoe in for European football. Given the inconsistencies previous managers have shown, you have to say well done to those running the club to have you established at the right end of the table but....

If you want to win the league, there comes a point where you will need to take a bit of a risk and really go for it. Won't get a better chance than this year imo.

You're probably right.

Not the fans attitude by the way, but the club are (for right or wrong) being pragmatic.

I heard last week that since Celtic last played Aberdeen back in October, Aberdeen have taken 1 point more than Celtic in the league....and that with a relatively small squad.

I'm not sure what that proves, other than the margins are a bit finer than many would think between Celtic and Aberdeen.....and with a bit of ambition from the Dons...? Well, we might never know.

I think you are spot on in terms of your long term approach. There is no question you are in a stable position and a shoe in for European football. Given the inconsistencies previous managers have shown, you have to say well done to those running the club to have you established at the right end of the table but....

If you want to win the league, there comes a point where you will need to take a bit of a risk and really go for it. Won't get a better chance than this year imo.

I don't think the manager does risk.

Yeap, I completely agree.

Someone pointed out to me last night the scenario where Aberdeen win every game between now and the end of the season, but still finish 2nd on goal difference. Nightmare.... :lol:

Edited by Rossy