Minimum Price For Alcohol - Page 7 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Minimum Price For Alcohol

9 hours ago, Parklife said:

Of course. It's a very expensive drink. Even when i first started drinking it 13/14 years ago, it was £5.50/bottle, which is still above the current minimum price for it :lol: 

Aye- even if you saved your lunch money Monday - Friday you were still 50p short :lol:

At least with MD20:20 would could treat yourself to a couple of sausage rolls on a Friday.

Going back even further, my Pater had to save up for weeks to afford his New Year cargo.

Now it just goes in as part of the shopping.

The income V alcohol cost has changed massively since I were a lad.

1 minute ago, Flure said:

Going back even further, my Pater had to save up for weeks to afford his New Year cargo.

Now it just goes in as part of the shopping.

The income V alcohol cost has changed massively since I were a lad.

You only feel that way because you stole all of Parkie's money. See that pension plan that you got for nothing? That rightly belongs to Parkie.

52 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

It will probably lead to me buying nicer lager.

:lol:

If it’s about 90p minimum for a can of tennents, I’ll be going for some of the nicer stuff that’s just over a £1.

I very rarely buy canned beer these days. Even less so now if a few pence more will get you a nice ale in a bottle.

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

You only feel that way because you stole all of Parkie's money. See that pension plan that you got for nothing? That rightly belongs to Parkie.

Stocks, shares, bonds, gilts? I stole all them from Parkie?

2 hours ago, Flure said:

Stocks, shares, bonds, gilts? I stole all them from Parkie. 😔😔

Coming clean heals the soul. 😁😁

Oh and I think it was his gilet* not gilts. 

*body warmer to auld yins like you. 

11 hours ago, Stu101 said:

Aye- even if you saved your lunch money Monday - Friday you were still 50p short :lol:

At least with MD20:20 would could treat yourself to a couple of sausage rolls on a Friday.

MD. The drink of kings. 

12 hours ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

Lower alcohol consumption due to cost will lead to higher profits for drug dealers selling dodgy gear (street valium). There is and always will be somebody making a profit on people who have addiction issues. Not sure if the MAP legislation will make a difference.

It'll still be cheaper buying booze than gear.

8 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Had a wee bottle of Jubilee on my way to Edinburgh on Saturday.

Lovely 10am in the morning treat.

I just class the flavours as the colours. Is Jubilee Orange, red or blue (my favourite)? :lol: 

There is a testimony from a guy on twitter who's stepson was nearly killed by Frosty Jack cider 8 years ago

The chemicals in it have poisoned every organ in his body

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

There is a testimony from a guy on twitter who's stepson was nearly killed by Frosty Jack cider 8 years ago

Was it just a rumor that that stuff is actually made with onions and flavored? 

8 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

By "chemicals" do you mean alcohol or are there other chemicals specific to that drink?

3 hours ago, aaid said:

No apples were harmed in the making of this drink. 

There's no standards or regulations around what you can call cider. Fruit doesn't really have to be involved. 

Edit - it seems I am mistaken. Law was changed about 7 years ago so that to be called Cider it has to have 35% apple or pear juice. 

Edited by biffer

16 hours ago, Orraloon said:

By "chemicals" do you mean alcohol or are there other chemicals specific to that drink?

15 hours ago, aaid said:

No apples were harmed in the making of this drink. 

12 hours ago, biffer said:

There's no standards or regulations around what you can call cider. Fruit doesn't really have to be involved. 

Edit - it seems I am mistaken. Law was changed about 7 years ago so that to be called Cider it has to have 35% apple or pear juice. 

All you have to do is google "Frosty Jack Cider/ white cider chemicals" and you will get the picture

Gut rot used to be a throwaway phrase but there is some (disputed) evidence that it is actually true with white cider

Obviously certain alcoholic drinks have more chemicals than others - Newcastle Brown Ale was always notorious

However i agree that it would have been the alcohol content that done the damage to the stepson - i think there is an equivalent of 20 or so shots of vodka in a litre bottle of FJ

3 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

All you have to do is google "Frosty Jack Cider/ white cider chemicals" and you will get the picture

Gut rot used to be a throwaway phrase but there is some (disputed) evidence that it is actually true with white cider

Obviously certain alcoholic drinks have more chemicals than others - Newcastle Brown Ale was always notorious

However i agree that it would have been the alcohol content that done the damage to the stepson - i think there is an equivalent of 20 or so shots of vodka in a litre bottle of FJ

Wow, no wonder it was so popular.

9 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

A litre of white cider, typically 7.5%, would contain the equivalent of 7.5 shots of vodka.

24 minutes ago, glasgow jock said:

Anyone recommend a good bottle Lager - not too strong or "hoppy", just a nice crisp taste would do the job ??

London Lager from the Greenwich brewery is decent. 

As far as readily available supermarket lagers go, i'd probably go for Estrella Damm. 

Edited by Parklife

30 minutes ago, Parklife said:

London Lager from the Greenwich brewery is decent. 

As far as readily available supermarket lagers go, i'd probably go for Estrella Damm. 

Cheers Parkie - Had Estrella Damm before - good stuff !!