Minimum Price For Alcohol - Page 6 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Minimum Price For Alcohol

13 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Just purchased 4.5 litres of voddy, will  cost approx 30 quid more to buy that tomorrow. Get doon the offy pronto folks...

Only if you're in to dirt cheap, humming vodka. 

Prices of premium brands will be unaffected. 

Just now, Orraloon said:

What price did they settle on in the end?

50p/unit. Cost of a bottle of vidka will be minimum £14. 

I can see premium brands seeing an upturn in sales as folk pay an extra couple of quid for a better quality product, rather than £14 for Smirnoff or the like. 

1 minute ago, Parklife said:

50p/unit. Cost of a bottle of vidka will be minimum £14. 

I can see premium brands seeing an upturn in sales as folk pay an extra couple of quid for a better quality product, rather than £14 for Smirnoff or the like. 

And then it's only a question of time before the premium brands up their prices to maintain the differentials. This is just going to lead to a bigger profit margins for the drinks industry. I agree that something should be done to reduce alcohol consumption but, I think this is the wrong answer.

Half the battle is the high price of pints in pubs.  Getting more people into pubs and out of their homes would help.

i'm suspicious of any tax which involves increasing prices.  I see the "experts" everybody is beholden to when it suits them.. want it increased to 70p and higher...thin end of the wedge.

https://inews.co.uk/news/scotland/scotlands-50p-unit-alcohol-price-means/

binge drinking culture is the problem.  We keep getting told we're the thirstiest and we have a problem. The other European countries have cheaper alcohol than us.  More should be done to improve day-to-day social infrastructure, social spaces, focal points.  The problem is people sit in their houses too much in this country.  

27 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

Half the battle is the high price of pints in pubs.  Getting more people into pubs and out of their homes would help.

i'm suspicious of any tax which involves increasing prices.  I see the "experts" everybody is beholden to when it suits them.. want it increased to 70p and higher...thin end of the wedge.

https://inews.co.uk/news/scotland/scotlands-50p-unit-alcohol-price-means/

binge drinking culture is the problem.  We keep getting told we're the thirstiest and we have a problem. The other European countries have cheaper alcohol than us.  More should be done to improve day-to-day social infrastructure, social spaces, focal points.  The problem is people sit in their houses too much in this country.  

I blame central heating. Folk were much more sociable before they got central heating.

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

And then it's only a question of time before the premium brands up their prices to maintain the differentials. This is just going to lead to a bigger profit margins for the drinks industry. I agree that something should be done to reduce alcohol consumption but, I think this is the wrong answer.

Fair enough. I guess time will tell. I'd have rather it was a tax but i think for political reasons, the Scottish Government have not introduced that. 

It's certainly not the be all and end all to the solution. However, it has the backing of health professionals, who think it will have a real effect on the health of our country. In the absence of any other proposals, i'm all for it. 

9 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Fair enough. I guess time will tell. I'd have rather it was a tax but i think for political reasons, the Scottish Government have not introduced that. 

It's certainly not the be all and end all to the solution. However, it has the backing of health professionals, who think it will have a real effect on the health of our country. In the absence of any other proposals, i'm all for it. 

The Scottish parliament doesn't have the power to levy an alcohol tax.

3 minutes ago, Flure said:

Fair enough. Well hopefully the new powers "bonanza" that we've been promised following Brexit enables them to... 

2 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Buckie unaffected.

Happy days.

Of course. It's a very expensive drink. Even when i first started drinking it 13/14 years ago, it was £5.50/bottle, which is still above the current minimum price for it :lol: 

2 minutes ago, Parklife said:

Fair enough. Well hopefully the new powers "bonanza" that we've been promised following Brexit enables them to... 

Of course. It's a very expensive drink. Even when i first started drinking it 13/14 years ago, it was £5.50/bottle, which is still above the current minimum price for it :lol: 

£6.50 from my local Asian distributor.

A god send on a cold midweek away jaunt to Dingwall  and the likes.

Edited by Squirrelhumper

12 minutes ago, Flure said:

Can't see the Scottish Government increasing excise duty even if they had the power.  Over 60% of the cost is tax as it is.

White Cider was already taxed separately in the last UK budget as well.  

Edited by PapofGlencoe

3 hours ago, Orraloon said:

I blame central heating. Folk were much more sociable before they got central heating.

I blame the shit weather. Also, the SNP have been in power for 11 years now and have done NOTHING about it FFS.

6 minutes ago, Alan said:

How does this impact Whisky Export Duty? Who gets that money?

Overview

A minimum unit price for alcohol will start on 1 May 2018.

From that date, the minimum price of alcohol will be 50p per unit. Anyone with a licence to sell alcohol won't be allowed to sell it cheaper than this.

The minimum unit price for alcohol applies to both:

retailers that sell alcohol for drinking off the premises (like newsagents and supermarkets)

places that sell alcohol for drinking on the premises (like pubs, bars, clubs and restaurants)

https://www.mygov.scot/minimum-unit-pricing/

13 minutes ago, Alan said:

How does this impact Whisky Export Duty? Who gets that money?

I don't think it has any impact at all, mainly because no such thing exists, as far as I am aware. But, I think you knew that?

Looking at the statistics for hospital admissions. The rate has dropped the last 10 years but is still 4.4 times higher than 1981. Also twice as many deaths.

Men make up 3 times the admissions that woman do.

1 in 15 deaths in Scotland are directly related to alcohol.

Alcohol is involved in 42% of All violent crimes in Scotland.

Plus it;s the older generations who need hospital more as a result of alcohol, which surprised me. it's the 40-50's for woman and 50-60's for men.

Between policing and NHS it's costing a £1,000,000,000 a year.

http://www.isdscotland.org/Health-Topics/Drugs-and-Alcohol-Misuse/Publications/2017-11-21/2017-11-21-ARHS-Report.pdf

Alcohol is ridiculously cheap now compared to when I started drinking. I read somewhere that it is something like 60% cheaper now than in the 70s and 80s. So maybe this measure will help, but I can't say that with a lot of confidence.

29 minutes ago, jailender said:

Alcohol is ridiculously cheap now compared to when I started drinking. I read somewhere that it is something like 60% cheaper now than in the 70s and 80s. So maybe this measure will help, but I can't say that with a lot of confidence.

To be fair, you baby boomers all bought your house for about £5000.00. So you could afford as much drink as you wanted :lol: