Old Nightclubs/pubs You Used To Haunt - Page 5 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Old Nightclubs/pubs You Used To Haunt

For the old ravers amongst us

Just to let you know the good old saltcoats metro is reopening. Should be open for the festive period. It has been sold be the foxes to, from what I can gather, to a group made up of ex metro employees who want to try and take it back to its nights. Wouldn't be surprised if an ex dj or 2 is involved

Just to let you know the good old saltcoats metro is reopening. Should be open for the festive period. It has been sold be the foxes to, from what I can gather, to a group made up of ex metro employees who want to try and take it back to its nights. Wouldn't be surprised if an ex dj or 2 is involved

Foam parties? :ok:

Aye Shawlands was always a good alternative to the town.

Loved the Village & it's basement bar which was called Rosie O'Grady's i think

And i'm sure the Newlands hotel was also known as J J Booths ?

J J Booths is correct. Open till 1am at the weekend but no Jeans rule applied.

Mates ex wife was called Jean but she was never allowed to come along.

Most of 5th and 6th year at our school went there on a Thursday night. In fact everyone I ever spoke to in there on a Thursday night was still at school, or facing a mid-life crisis.

:lol:

( I should add, I was too, I wasn't 30 or anything! :lol: )

We would also go to Bar Yava in Hamilton, was always shooty in to pull in there, the clientele was even younger in there!

In Glasgow.

The shack and trash that both burned down. Loved the shack, was there Thursday and Saturday through uni, was a bit classier than the garage. Tuesday's in Trash was an interesting night, as it was a mix of students, footballers and wannabe WAGS.

(Bizarrely got turned away from there once as it was "students only", but the guy interrupted his student only patter to let Bobo Balde in. :lol: )

Archaos was some place, so loud! late 90s it was quite cool, but then went quite neddy, I like my dance music, so always liked it.

Been in the place across the road under about 10 different guises, think it was Planet peach when we first went, always a bit of a last resort.

Went through a spell early 2000s where everyone was into Rnb and wanted to be black, there was a place up at Charing Cross end of sauchiehall street, velvet rooms I'm sure it was called.

Only other one I can think of that's no longer there was Destiny, it sounded like a great idea, but was full of neds, again, I liked dance music, but it attracts the neds.

I was in the Shack the night it burnt down, it was it's birthday party (obviously burnt down after we left!)

Used to frequent The Tunnel, Archaos, The Shack, Trash, The Arches and the Subby in my younger days.

Only one i go to now is the Subby.

The Metro in Saltcoats used to have some massive nights with buses from Glasgow, Fife etc and even further. Massive club given the size of the town. Been shut a few years but reopening allegedly.

I know who's got it. :ok:

ABERDEEN

Pubs

Henry J Beans, The Star and Garter, The Grill, Bells Hotel, Filthy McNasty's, Malt Mill, Adams Lounge, The Ferryhill Hotel, Café Ici, Drummonds, The Wild Boar, Radars, Ma's (Ma Camerons), Kirkgate Bar, Triple Kirks, Blue Lamp, The Butchers Arms, My Father's Moustache, The Masada, Rosemount Bar, POW (Prince O Wales), Egg and Dart, Runway Inn (Dyce), Spiders Web (Dyce), Snooty Fox (Altens), The Red Lion, The Bobbin Mill, Pittodrie Bar, Shadows, Bond Bar, The Rat Cellar (Victoria Bar in Torry), Criterion, Neptunes, Tilted Wig, Portals, Atheneum, Crow's Nest.......

Clubs

Happy Valley, Ritzys, Smart Alex, Oh Henry's, Cotton Club, The Pelican (below the Metro Hotel).....

I'm meeting mates back in toon on Saturday and when they are finished with the Hearts game I'll trail them round the pubs list above, shouting 'this used to be a great boozer' at frightened Starbucks customers!

I was in the Shack the night it burnt down, it was it's birthday party (obviously burnt down after we left!)

Used to frequent The Tunnel, Archaos, The Shack, Trash, The Arches and the Subby in my younger days.

Only one i go to now is the Subby.

I forgot about "the Sally Gunnell", I think it only closed reasonably recently.

Only been to the sub club a handful of times, and never really had a good night in it.

i went to their u-18 night every week for about 2 years, then ran the gauntlet outside to get to the train home without getting stabbed. Those were great nights in their time!

When at college in portobello it was the hotel the next to the halls or if we felt flush the white heart in the grass market

Back home in west Kilbride it was

The galleon

The Inverclyde/merrik

Being an Ayrshire boy it was always trips the the metro in salcoats

When I was a bit older we would go to largs Vegas for nights out ending up in fiddlers

Wellington Bar also :-)) think I drank in it once before it closed.

Tried the Kilbride Tavern and Kings after the Galleon closed, and when the Inverclyde/Merrik became a dump (tried to clean its act up as a "respectable" restaurant rather than the town bar) but never the same.

Preferred Fids to Metro (but that was down to going to Largs Academy, so was a case of mates sticking to their patch), but grew out of it by 21'ish, and not been back in years (brother always went and kept asking him if the dodgy 50-something drug dealer from Kilbirnie who hung around it all the time was still there.....which to my surprise he was!)

Did the Doune Castle eventually become an O'Neill's (then Stube - no idea what it's called now)?

Stube is now, rather wankily, called "Jayz" which I understand isn't pronounced the same as the American hip hop artiste. And it's pretty expensive, although does live music during the week which is pretty decent.

Most of 5th and 6th year at our school went there on a Thursday night. In fact everyone I ever spoke to in there on a Thursday night was still at school, or facing a mid-life crisis.

:lol:

( I should add, I was too, I wasn't 30 or anything! :lol: )

We would also go to Bar Yava in Hamilton, was always shooty in to pull in there, the clientele was even younger in there!

In Glasgow.

The shack and trash that both burned down. Loved the shack, was there Thursday and Saturday through uni, was a bit classier than the garage. Tuesday's in Trash was an interesting night, as it was a mix of students, footballers and wannabe WAGS.

(Bizarrely got turned away from there once as it was "students only", but the guy interrupted his student only patter to let Bobo Balde in. :lol: )

Archaos was some place, so loud! late 90s it was quite cool, but then went quite neddy, I like my dance music, so always liked it.

Been in the place across the road under about 10 different guises, think it was Planet peach when we first went, always a bit of a last resort.

Went through a spell early 2000s where everyone was into Rnb and wanted to be black, there was a place up at Charing Cross end of sauchiehall street, velvet rooms I'm sure it was called.

Only other one I can think of that's no longer there was Destiny, it sounded like a great idea, but was full of neds, again, I liked dance music, but it attracts the neds.

I once got dragged into the gents in Archaos by a dirty wee English lassie who looked like Su Pollard for 'afters' following a trouser-sex episode on the dance-floor. Alas, the wee deoderant guy scuppered her/our plans.

I loved The Shack. They had just started a '90s music night every week in the back bar area and then the bloody thing burned down.

Being based centrally, I had Falkirk, Stirling and Glasgow all very accessible.

I also played in bands in my younger days which took us to new places. I'll never forget a night in The Balcony Bar, Dundee for as long as I live. Amps up at 11 and people crowd surfing and stage diving in a boozer. Had never seen anything like it, or since.

No one ever venture to Paps in Cumbernauld? That was best described as a "life experience."

Stube is now, rather wankily, called "Jayz" which I understand isn't pronounced the same as the American hip hop artiste. And it's pretty expensive, although does live music during the week which is pretty decent.

I once got dragged into the gents in Archaos by a dirty wee English lassie who looked like Su Pollard for 'afters' following a trouser-sex episode on the dance-floor. Alas, the wee deoderant guy scuppered her/our plans.

I loved The Shack. They had just started a '90s music night every week in the back bar area and then the bloody thing burned down.

Good Lord! :(

Wellington Bar also :-)) think I drank in it once before it closed.

Tried the Kilbride Tavern and Kings after the Galleon closed, and when the Inverclyde/Merrik became a dump (tried to clean its act up as a "respectable" restaurant rather than the town bar) but never the same.

Preferred Fids to Metro (but that was down to going to Largs Academy, so was a case of mates sticking to their patch), but grew out of it by 21'ish, and not been back in years (brother always went and kept asking him if the dodgy 50-something drug dealer from Kilbirnie who hung around it all the time was still there.....which to my surprise he was!)

Fids was just a daft wee dancing, the Metro was an an actual club,

Being based centrally, I had Falkirk, Stirling and Glasgow all very accessible.

I also played in bands in my younger days which took us to new places. I'll never forget a night in The Balcony Bar, Dundee for as long as I live. Amps up at 11 and people crowd surfing and stage diving in a boozer. Had never seen anything like it, or since.

No one ever venture to Paps in Cumbernauld? That was best described as a "life experience."

Was in it once, but that would've been late eighties / very early nineties (can't recall much about it - same applies to Casper's in Kirkie).

Glasgow 1995 -

Rock Garden - was in here every week.

Fixx II

Kilkennys

Brunswick Cellars

Living Room

Lounge

Strathclyde Union

Chimmy Chungas

The Garage - by far favourite place. Can't believe it's still going.

Fury Murrys - good tunes but shit location.

Alaska - Tuesday nights

Art School - first place i could get in. Exciting then realised full of indie pretentiousness with half folk looking like Liam Gallagher and other half looking like Jarvis Cocker

Was in it once, but that would've been late eighties / very early nineties (can't recall much about it - same applies to Casper's in Kirkie).

Caspers! Got to be most random post yet. I have experienced Babylon and The Works in Kirky. The Works was renamed "Go" with locals quickly renaming it "Square Go" .