Mobile Phones @ Gigs - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Mobile Phones @ Gigs

I've got a smartphone but still proud to say:

I don't have Facebook

I don't have Twitter

I don't even know what Instagram is

I haven't a f***ing clue why the hashtag is suddenly so important to everybody.

I don't know what I don't know about every other one otherwise I would have listed them as well.

I remember fondly the days when you could disappear in the morning & nobody knew where the hell you were or what you were doing until you got home.

And I still wear double denim to the perpetual annoyance of my son :blink:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not just concerts, it's everything - folk on buses, walking down the street risking collisions, during movies, heck some time even funerals.

People fly 10k miles to Sydney then sit and stare at their phones etc

the smartphone has been a massive change to society, Google maps has been a great addition but not convinced 100% internet is really a good thing.

turning us all into short attention span zombies

I'm going to see Stewart Lee at the Leicester Square Theatre in London this week - should be excellent.

I'll see if I can film some of it on my mobile...

He'll love that. :ok:

I saw this one from a gig of his, funny way of dealing with a heckler.

Edited by phart

People spend more time looking at cameras and filming concerts than actually enjoying it with their eyes.

I've never understood this. If all you want from a gig is to see it on video, stay at home. There'll be 10000 videos of it on Youtube anyway.

The worst thing about it is they constantly block the view for other people who are there to actually see the thing.

Idiots.

same at the Happy Mondays gig last night. I just don't get it. Also a very neddish element there last night.

I was actually going to say I didn't notice a lot of it at the Mondays last night. I did notice the ned element though, I think the 2 pint tumblers would have contributed to that! An awful lot of Stone Island and Aquascutum on display too.

my main gigging years were the 91-99 so cameras, phones etc were pretty rare.

I'm baffled that folk will spend £50+ on a ticket and then view the whole concert through a 3 inch screen.

I recall one year at TITP (97 i think) were one guy was getting abuse for using a mobile phone to make a call. 2 years later I think everybody had one, including me.

Definitely, it's the same every where you go. Folk constantly taking pictures on nights out and doing daft poses for selfies. All so they can post them on Facebook so all the folk they vaguely know and their ex's can see.

Worst of all are folk that "check-in" places. Fvck up, no one gives a fvck that you're at the pub/out for your dinner/at the cinema. Arseholes!

I sacked Facebook about 5 years ago for reasons like this. What is the constant need to play out your entire life online?

My mother is terrible for this. She was genuinely upset when I told her no photo's of her grandchild were allowed on there.

Weirdo :)

The phones at gigs thing doesn't bother me. I never do it but I quite like going back and watching clips from ones I've been to so can hardly moan.

I sacked Facebook about 5 years ago for reasons like this. What is the constant need to play out your entire life online?

My mother is terrible for this. She was genuinely upset when I told her no photo's of her grandchild were allowed on there.

Weirdo :)

The phones at gigs thing doesn't bother me. I never do it but I quite like going back and watching clips from ones I've been to so can hardly moan.

You don't mind not being able to see properly for loads of people holding up phones? ^?^ Next you will be telling us that you don't mind blokes trying to prove how macho they are by putting their attention seeking girlfriends on their shoulders right in front of you! :blink:

You don't mind not being able to see properly for loads of people holding up phones? ^?^ Next you will be telling us that you don't mind blokes trying to prove how macho they are by putting their attention seeking girlfriends on their shoulders right in front of you! :blink:

Is this what this is all about? Is no one putting you on their shoulders at gigs? :-))

But naw as said I couldn't really care. Can't say I've ever been a gig where it was so bad that I couldn't see right enough.

Edited by Angus_Young

I don't understand why folk constantly take pictures or videos simply to check in, once i'm out the only time my phone comes out the pocket is to phone a taxi home at the end of the night!

The other one with gigs are the folk that must phone there pal to let them listen to a certain song, just enjoy it! Last thing i'd wanna hear is the racket of a phonecall from someone at a gig!!

Went to a McCartney concert when I worked in Budapest. We were doing a bit of sightseeing beforehand and had our primative digital camera with us, all bags searched on the way in, cameras had to be removed, bagged and taken back to the ticket office to be watched for a fee if you wanted to see the gig and your camera again.

Hard to believe it's just over a decade ago...

The phone is a godsend if your early to the pub or if there's just two of you's and they go for a pee. Just wapp the phone out and you don't feel like a sad ###### drinking by yourself

Agree with that but a soon as they appear phones away again

it's disheartening to see a minutes silence and their 1st thought is to get the phone out

Yeah, if there was ever a time where you should put your phone away...

Who is going to watch that video? Its a step away from filming a funeral!

(I'm rarely in the house but 2 Thursday's ago sky sports news were giving live updates from Howard Kendall funeral, actually live footage from the service. I hadn't realised his achievements as Everton manager, as I was very young, but still thought it was a bit much...)