Paris - Page 15 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Yup religion is not the cause only the excuse. Do folk still believe the troubles in northern Ireland was purely Catholics against prodistants or was it really about gangsters using religion to gain power

The conflict in Northern Ireland has always been ethno-political rather than religious - religion is just thrown into the mix to spice things up further.

• Replies 885
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.wsj.com/articles/attacker-tried-to-enter-paris-stadium-but-was-turned-away-1447520571?alg=y

story now saying at least one of the Stade de France bombers had a ticket and was stopped at the gate after being frisked, could have been very nasty inside the ground on live tv

could result in airport style checks before major events?

Edited by Robroysboy

Nobody, even the most pious, rushes to make thread about the latest atrocity in beirut because they couldn't care enough to do it but will all rush to comment with mock indignation when folk write anything about another that happens to folk they can relate.

######ing pathetic.

Why don't you start a Beirut thread yourself then

I am not sure that is an adequate explanation.

Millions (or at least hundreds of thousands) have been killed in similar attacks over the last 10 years. Folk on here do not care in general (my observation) . But 130 people die in Paris and suddenly it is big news. Why?

I know why but it is weird that lives in France matter soooooo much when lives in Syria or Iraq mean so little. No?

It is very weird IMO but easily explained by how our attitudes are controlled by the media. And I include myself in that.

It's a bit like how folk leaving the UK to spread their undoubted talents all over the planet is usually thought of as "good migration" but folk coming here is always going to contain a big proportion of undesirables.

in fairness phart, I usually keep abreast of the news but like Most others I have a life outside the Internet and didn't hear about Beirut until the Paris story broke on a night off.

Everyone has a life outside the internet. It's the disparity in the worth of lives that saddens me, not by folk who didn't know (if you don't know you don't know, we're all reliant on news services) but by the media outlets that DID know and hardly covered it.

They say they thought long and hard about it - absolute pish

Sensationalism at it's worst to sell papers

Imagine you were the relative or a friend of those killed

Just another rag like the rest

nobody else obviously cares enough about it either.

Well I do son. Even if you dont. Enough fannying about. Time as Joe Jordan days. Get in to them. them. They s hate us so them. Very sorry to wee apologists who blame media and usa for yesterday. Pricks. ashamed for you calling you so called scotland supporters. Scotland and france forever.

Well I do son. Even if you dont. Enough fannying about. Time as Joe Jordan days. Get ######ing in to them. ###### them. They ######s hate us so ###### them. Very sorry to wee apologists who blame media and usa for yesterday. Pricks. ashamed for you calling you so called scotland supporters. Scotland and france forever.

I believe you can get into Kurdistan through Turkey. They will provide you with an AK-47 and basic training.

You can hardly blame individuals when our nation press chooses to ignore stuff that doesn't suit the national narrative. For the vast majority who dont have the time, means, whatever to actively Google foreign affairs, how do people really expect the majority to be? Even brief, factual coverage sometimes fails to capture the tragedy that goes on daily around the world, certainly nowhere near the scale of coverage we see from Paris.

Slowly working my way back through the thread (when there is a big fight on during the night i have to take a nap now, otherwise i fall asleep, getting old). Yeah when i say lebanon flag it's not in a judgement of the individual but to the paltry news service. Also to make folk aware they aren't always getting good information, in fact often it is bad information.

I don't sit and google news though. Although i generally go to people who aren't learning the news at the same time as me as they read it off a tele-prompter.

Lastly everyone is responsible a little bit for the quality of information they use. You never know when it could come and bite you on the bum.