Paris - Page 14 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

People in the UK will care a lot more about an Australian jet going down rather than say an Iranian one shot down by a US warship. (flat Earth was always good value on that topic.)
 It is not about geography it is about sides. Their lives are not important while ours our sacred. Folk dying in Syria and Iraq don't matter to us. Folk in France do.

With respect, I've explained that by saying that it's only human nature to 'relate' to some people more than others.

Do you think that the Lockerbie disaster has the same effect on people in Pakistan or Afghanistan as it does in people in Peebles or Aberdeen ?

I can't explain that in any other way. None of us want innocent people in Syria to lose their lives, but the fact of the matter is that most of us relate more to Paris than Damascus.

I'm not going to apologise for that. It's just the way it is.

• Replies 885
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it not more that someone starting this thread is reacting more to something that is getting massive coverage on the news? And therefore it is bound to get a bigger reaction from people on here. Nothing to do with lebanon or other lifes being cheap or not cared about.

Is it not more that someone starting this thread is reacting more to something that is getting massive coverage on the news? And therefore it is bound to get a bigger reaction from people on here. Nothing to do with lebanon or other lifes being cheap or not cared about.

You're probably right actually. I wasn't thinking 'oh jesus, it's in Paris' when I started the thread, more that it was a massive breaking story on the news. I hadn't heard anything about Beirut until it was mentioned in this thread.

I think it's more to do with the fact that Paris is right on our doorstep and the biggest majority I would reckon have been to Paris and visited the areas where it happened

For me personally after our qualifying debacle where we got knocked and didn't get a play off, I have a ticket to last nights game but thankfully I've been ill for weeks so thankfully threw the towel in before I ended up booking flights

Edited by DoonTheSlope

With respect, I've explained that by saying that it's only human nature to 'relate' to some people more than others.

Do you think that the Lockerbie disaster has the same effect on people in Pakistan or Afghanistan as it does in people in Peebles or Aberdeen ?

I can't explain that in any other way. None of us want innocent people in Syria to lose their lives, but the fact of the matter is that most of us relate more to Paris than Damascus.

On a serious point, this is the case - the 1989 (?) British Midland crash in Northern England being a case in point.

I think it's more to do with the fact that Paris is right on our doorstep and the biggest majority I would reckon have been to Paris and visited the areas where it happened

For me personally after our qualifying debacle where we got knocked and didn't get a play off, I have a ticket to last nights game but thankfully I've been ill for weeks so thankfully threw the towel in before I ended up booking flights

This is it exactly for me. I was there with the wife a couple of years and we stayed right in the middle of the area between the shootings.

We were drinking in bars around Blvd Voltaire. It's eirie looking at pictures and thinking I've been there.

However,I do think the lack of coverage for Beirut had been shocking. I hadn't even heard about it until this morning, had to go digging on sky news and bbc websites to find any trace of it.

(Kay Burley is a .)

The Lockerbie disaster happens (pretty much) every second day for them. They have died in enormous quantities over 10+ years. Even with the excuse of distance surely folk would have noticed by now. These western terrorist attack events are (so far) rare and when they happen there is this orgy of victimhood and grief (ironic eh).

You're probably right actually. I wasn't thinking 'oh jesus, it's in Paris' when I started the thread, more that it was a massive breaking story on the news. I hadn't heard anything about Beirut until it was mentioned in this thread.

Neither had i. But i don't watch a lot of the news anyway.

You can hardly blame individuals when our nation press chooses to ignore stuff that doesn't suit the national narrative. For the vast majority who dont have the time, means, whatever to actively Google foreign affairs, how do people really expect the majority to be? Even brief, factual coverage sometimes fails to capture the tragedy that goes on daily around the world, certainly nowhere near the scale of coverage we see from Paris.

This helps create an us and them attitude, where we're only allowed to sympathise with those who meet the approval of those in power. There really is no excuse for the lack of coverage of major incidents in the Middle East.

The world is ####ed up and I really dont know how we take control back. It's been asked a couple of times why terrorists go to the complexity of trying to blow up airliners when crowded, high profile events are surely a much simpler target. It looks like terrorists have started to realise this too and it's a terrifying escalation if so. I cant even begin to imagine what we'd be looking at today if the terrorists managed to make it into Stade de France. Live TV footage, the lot.

Absolutely awful. :(

You can hardly blame individuals when our nation press chooses to ignore stuff that doesn't suit the national narrative. For the vast majority who dont have the time, means, whatever to actively Google foreign affairs, how do people really expect the majority to be? Even brief, factual coverage sometimes fails to capture the tragedy that goes on daily around the world, certainly nowhere near the scale of coverage we see from Paris.

This helps create an us and them attitude, where we're only allowed to sympathise with those who meet the approval of those in power. There really is no excuse for the lack of coverage of major incidents in the Middle East.

The world is ######ed up and I really dont know how we take control back. It's been asked a couple of times why terrorists go to the complexity of trying to blow up airliners when crowded, high profile events are surely a much simpler target. It looks like terrorists have started to realise this too and it's a terrifying escalation if so. I cant even begin to imagine what we'd be looking at today if the terrorists managed to make it into Stade de France. Live TV footage, the lot.

Good post. Regarding the last paragraph, I agree that these evil bastards will probably move more and more towards these kinds of attacks rather than the odd one-off like this or 7/7. Shopping centres, trains, cinemas etc. I'd imagine being a fan trying to get anywhere near Wembley on Tuesday will be a nightmare, but a necessary one. I also dread to think what's planned for shopping centres packed with Christmas shoppers over the next month or so. The Police and Security Services have got their work cut out. Edited by redstevie007

Given that a clip of Assad was on the news earlier of him basically saying 'hell mend ye' I think he can expect a chap on the door at some point.

Why? He's been keeping a lid on these nut jobs for years. I assume that's what he referring to. More like an "I told you so".

Dare I say it, but so did Saddam in Iraq. There wasn't any Isis before 2003.

J

Completely agree with you (Beirut is a lot like Paris actually!). But given the conditioning people receive in this part of the world they see Beirut as a desert rat shit hole that they can't relate to.

Well that is just utter ignorance on their part then. Think those that know better have a responsibility to challenge that ignorance rather than accept or excuse it

Edited by Lamia

The world is ######ed up and I really dont know how we take control back. It's been asked a couple of times why terrorists go to the complexity of trying to blow up airliners when crowded, high profile events are surely a much simpler target. It looks like terrorists have started to realise this too and it's a terrifying escalation if so. I cant even begin to imagine what we'd be looking at today if the terrorists managed to make it into Stade de France. Live TV footage, the lot.

I get my. news from rt or so Jazeera .seems to be on the ball concerning foreign news.

When all of Western Europe was Catholic there were non stop conflicts. Then WW2 began by Christian country invading Christian country.

Yup religion is not the cause only the excuse. Do folk still believe the troubles in northern Ireland was purely Catholics against prodistants or was it really about gangsters using religion to gain power