Paris - Page 13 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 885
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So could've been a whole lot worse but for the vigilance of a steward. Jesus :worried: Sounds like the plan may have been one bomb in the stadium, everyone legs it outside and the other two then send themselves off to meet Allah, taking feck knows how many more innocent people with them.

Edited by redstevie007

I mean wtf is behind all this crap in the world?

Is it just religion alone that causes all the conflicts that we've seen for the last 100 plus years??

When all of Western Europe was Catholic there were non stop conflicts. Then WW2 began by Christian country invading Christian country.

Because it's in Europe and it's creeping closer to our shores. But you knew that.

I am not sure that is an adequate explanation.

Millions (or at least hundreds of thousands) have been killed in similar attacks over the last 10 years. Folk on here do not care in general (my observation) . But 130 people die in Paris and suddenly it is big news. Why?

I know why but it is weird that lives in France matter soooooo much when lives in Syria or Iraq mean so little. No?

I am not sure that is an adequate explanation.

Millions (or at least hundreds of thousands) have been killed in similar attacks over the last 10 years. Folk on here do not care in general (my observation) . But 130 people die in Paris and suddenly it is big news. Why?

I know why but it is weird that lives in France matter soooooo much when lives in Syria or Iraq mean so little. No?

If there's a big car crash or dramatic fire in your town you're interested in it, want to know more, and take a personal interest in the welfare of the people involved. If the same thing happens in a town 200 miles away you'd take a passing interest, perhaps sympathise, and then forget about it.

A basic way of rephrasing my original point, but hopefully makes sense nonetheless.

I think we all agree that lives matter, wherever people are.

However, it;'s ridiculous to 'blame' people (I know you're not doing that) for not having the same reaction to an atrocity in Beirut as they do to one in Paris.

Perception of geographical closeness, and perception of 'identity' play a huge part in people's reactions.

Think about it as the 'plane crash' reaction......if a plane crashes in Indonesia with 250 killed, it'll hardly be mentioned on UK news and it'll pass most people by. If a flight from Amsterdam to Malaysia get shot down over Ukraine, then people here sit up and take notice and feel empathy...it happened closer by.

If a flight from Glasgow to London crashed with 200 deaths, the shock in this country would be enormous and it would be talked about for months.

Nobody wants innocent people in Beirut, or Damascus or Baghdad to be killed, but it's ridiculous to blame people for simply reacting as they're designed to.

If it was in the US our media would be all over it too. They, and we to an extent, value some people's lives more than others.

If a tornado in the USA flatten a town in Oklahoma with 20 people killed, it will barely get a column on page 5 of the New York Times.

It happened 5 hours flying time away.....that';s London to Beirut.

Think about it as the 'plane crash' reaction......if a plane crashes in Indonesia with 250 killed, it'll hardly be mentioned on UK news and it'll pass most people by. If a flight from Amsterdam to Malaysia get shot down over Ukraine, then people here sit up and take notice and feel empathy...it happened closer by.

Which is equally as bad

It's all about being able to relate to the situation and the people. We relate to french people and the idea of going out on a Friday night for a drink and a dinner much more easily than we relate to the people in Beirut. Human nature. Doesn't make Lebanese lives worth less than French ones... To us at least. For news companies 100 French lives are worth infinitely more than 200 Lebanese. But that's another story...

I think we all agree that lives matter, wherever people are.

However, it;'s ridiculous to 'blame' people (I know you're not doing that) for not having the same reaction to an atrocity in Beirut as they do to one in Paris.

Perception of geographical closeness, and perception of 'identity' play a huge part in people's reactions.

People in the UK will care a lot more about an Australian jet going down rather than say an Iranian one shot down by a US warship. (flat Earth was always good value on that topic.)
 It is not about geography it is about sides. Their lives are not important while ours our sacred. Folk dying in Syria and Iraq don't matter to us. Folk in France do.

Edited by thplinth

It's all about being able to relate to the situation and the people. We relate to french people and the idea of going out on a Friday night for a drink and a dinner much more easily than we relate to the people in Beirut.

Pretty sure people in Beirut do exactly the same things on a Friday night to those in Paris to be honest.

This is one of the reasons people have been dismissing the plight of the refugees for so long

Pretty sure people in Beirut do exactly the same things on a Friday night to those in Paris to be honest.

This is one of the reasons people have been dismissing the plight of the refugees for so long

Completely agree with you (Beirut is a lot like Paris actually!). But given the conditioning people receive in this part of the world they see Beirut as a desert rat shit hole that they can't relate to. They see Parisians as people much like themselves. I totally understand why the Paris attacks gets hyped up way more than Beirut but it doesn't mean I agree with it.

So could've been a whole lot worse but for the vigilance of a steward. Jesus :worried: Sounds like the plan may have been one bomb in the stadium, everyone legs it outside and the other two then send themselves off to meet Allah, taking feck knows how many more innocent people with them.

It does seem strange that the bombs were detonated after kick off. They could have caused carnage had they done it before kick off as fans were heading into the stadium.

They blew up that wedding party recently and I think 130 were killed. No thread on here I recall. Why is this such an outrage in comparison? Strange attitude to death based on location.

The thing is - and I could be wrong (again) - but a significant number of the Tamb community may have been to Paris, or are potentially likely to go to Paris with it being almost on our doorstep.

I've been to Beruit -and I was at the (civil) wedding of ma mate Mo(hammad) - but I can't really identify with the people there.

It's not that I don't care (about them), I just can't relate to them as neighbours or people I could meet any day of the week here in Manchester.

Does that make sense?

I don't believe anyone (sane) would dismiss mass murder as a fact of life and irrelevant.

They blew up that wedding party recently and I think 130 were killed. No thread on here I recall. Why is this such an outrage in comparison? Strange attitude to death based on location.

I responded to this before reading the latter posts - soz.