League Cup - Page 4 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

League Cup

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You forgot about that complete waste of skin called Charlie telfer maybe the zombies will take him back soon

How in hell did Rangers manage to get £280k out of us for that Diddy. If he can't get in this team he is worth the square root of F all!

How in hell did Rangers manage to get £280k out of us for that Diddy. If he can't get in this team he is worth the square root of F all!

wasn't that long ago some of the United lads on here were snidely thanking Rangers for developing him for United

you are most welcome :wave:

Hibs were dominant tonight. Missed a lot of chances though. Think I heard 12000 there which is good for us just now.

Thought Murray for united looked a decent player when he come on. Otherwise DUTD looked very average.

Average is overstating it a bit. Since McNamara left we have put in three of the worst performances of the last decade. Utterly lost.

Another result that confirms what we've all known for years now...that there's no difference in quality between most of the teams in the Premiership (I hate calling it that) and the Championship (i hate calling it that).

Which begs the question....why not just have one bigger Premiership ?

It's been nuts having the likes of Rangers, Hibs, Hearts and even Falkirk et al in a lower league....expand the top league to 16, 18 or even 20 teams, and play each other twice a season.

No difference in real quality, and most teams have suitable stadiums. Why do we continue to piss around with small leagues, boring the f*ck out of everyone by playing each other 12 times a season ?

Another result that confirms what we've all known for years now...that there's no difference in quality between most of the teams in the Premiership (I hate calling it that) and the Championship (i hate calling it that).

It's been nuts having the likes of Rangers, Hibs, Hearts and even Falkirk et al in a lower league....expand the top league to 16, 18 or even 20 teams, and play each other twice a season.

No difference in real quality, and most teams have suitable stadiums. Why do we continue to piss around with small leagues, boring the f*ck out of everyone by playing each other 12 times a season ?

Testify Brother!

Been saying that since before we got relegated.

There is no difference between the Premiership and IMO the top half of the Championship.

But clubs are nepotistic. They would rather have Celtic/Hearts/Aberdeen twice a season rather than once. And the face that by expanding the league would mean less home games therefore less income. There's always talk of a revamped League Cup to fill the gap (Infact did they not announce some change for next year?)

J

Testify Brother!

Been saying that since before we got relegated.

There is no difference between the Premiership and IMO the top half of the Championship.

But clubs are nepotistic. They would rather have Celtic/Hearts/Aberdeen twice a season rather than once. And the face that by expanding the league would mean less home games therefore less income. There's always talk of a revamped League Cup to fill the gap (Infact did they not announce some change for next year?)

J

Yeah, the League Cup is being split in to mini groups for next season. Pointless IMO.

Have a League of 20, a 14 and 10 (add the winners of the Highland and Lowland Leagues that year) and then the '3rd Division' is the Lowland and Highland Leagues...

Either that or it means utd are heading for the championship.

Spot on. 20 teams as long as there is decent relegation - bottom 3 down, 4th bottom in play offs. Keeps it interesting.

My only gripe with going as high as 18-20 teams would be that it might take us just beyond the drop off point in quality. The top 2,3 or 4 in the 2nd tier could normally compete, but by the 7th team you're looking at part time clubs. Some of whom are comfortable at that level.

Expansion may strengthen these teams? And you've still got likes of Dunfermline below that, so who knows.

Possibly too late almost, as many of the "sleeping Giants" like Morton or Ayr are now less asleep and more in a coma.

Spot on. 20 teams as long as there is decent relegation - bottom 3 down, 4th bottom in play offs. Keeps it interesting.

Play-offs can GTF - you've had a whole season to get enough points to secure your place in the division.

My only gripe with going as high as 18-20 teams would be that it might take us just beyond the drop off point in quality. The top 2,3 or 4 in the 2nd tier could normally compete, but by the 7th team you're looking at part time clubs. Some of whom are comfortable at that level.

Expansion may strengthen these teams? And you've still got likes of Dunfermline below that, so who knows.

Possibly too late almost, as many of the "sleeping Giants" like Morton or Ayr are now less asleep and more in a coma.

Maybe a wee bit unfair to the likes of Morton, who are doing fine in the Championship and have knocked Motherwell out of the league cup (sorry to remind you). :wink2:

Ross County, Hamilton, Dundee have all come up from the Championship in recent years and are doing fine and dandy in the top league. In fact, it's been a while since a team came up and went right back down again the next season.

If we took the top 8 teams as it stands at this moment in the Championship and moved them into the Premiership, I couldn't see the quality of the top league going down at all.

Maybe a wee bit unfair to the likes of Morton, who are doing fine in the Championship and have knocked Motherwell out of the league cup (sorry to remind you). :wink2:

Ross County, Hamilton, Dundee have all come up from the Championship in recent years and are doing fine and dandy in the top league. In fact, it's been a while since a team came up and went right back down again the next season.

If we took the top 8 teams as it stands at this moment in the Championship and moved them into the Premiership, I couldn't see the quality of the top league going down at all.

This.

My cut from the Championship is

Hibs

Rangers

St Mirren

Falkirk

Raith

Queens

Funnily enough the top 5 in the Championship.

No difference in quality or competitiveness and will give the us the fans the variety we have been craving.

J

I kinda get what sbc is saying. I think the top league would be fine but you might get to the stage where whoever goes down comes straight back up as lets face it the second league will be pretty much a part time league. Might get some plucky results from the wee teams that come up but ultimately I think these teams would end up going straight back down.

Still worth a go though.

Agree 100% with this.