Just To Clarify..... - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Just To Clarify.....

Caledonian Craig

You must be on the wind up. We shouldn't be needing to score 3 goals to win games against top teams. To Score 2 goals twice against Poland should have been enough to take at least 4 points. To Score 3 goals over 2 games v Germany we should have taken something. The Defence needs fixing first before we start the next qualifiers.

When you've got a shit defence you need to score more goals to compensate. Unfortunately we have got a shit defence and are shit up front as well. I thought we were starting to improve in midfield but recent games have led me to the conclusion that we are only slightly better than shit there as well. I think we have 3 good keepers but when they are trying to cover up all that shit in front of them they are going to start making mistakes at some point.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a completely stupid thread.

I don't think anyone was ever under any illusion that our defence is any less leaky than our strike force is impotent.

Surely the only reason the strike force was discussed more widely was because that is the area where it is perceived by most that we have more options?

Edited by Marky

Losing so many goals (cheaply) at set pieces/crosses etc at this level is a problem

Some of our goals scored have been very well worked ; bordering on the sublime ( for Scotland)

Although we undo that by gifting other side easy chances ; was in Whittaker in Poland who's elephant touch set up one goal

Germany away ; schoolboy defending etc

Georgia away ; bad goal to lose ; didn't even challenge the second ball never mind the first ; guy had so much time to take it down at edge of box and pick his spot ; unchallenged

Nine out of ten games we scored in (all four games against automatic qualifiers).

Only three out of ten games did we keep a clean sheet in and two of those matches were against the might of Georgia and Gibraltar.

Your last sentence proves the case. Our defence couldn't even keep Gibraltar out at Hampden. Pathetic.

The rest of the team did their Job on the day.

If our defence was more reliable then we would score more goals as the forward going players wouldn't be needed to shore up at the back so often.

If you score 2 away and home to Poland, 2 at home to Germany yet get 2 points from a possible 9 somes our team up......to me our attack has done its job it's our defensive structure which has cost us. Too naive. No discipline at the back. We are far too easy to score against. Need to get a defensive minded CM in there for a start

ProudScot, on 15 Oct 2015 - 3:33 PM, said:

apart from when Scott Brown goes chasing balls etc.

How can someone so experienced be such a fecking idiot. Flying in to try and win the ball when the best course of action is to stand his ground and jockey his opponent.

bajin, on 15 Oct 2015 - 3:48 PM, said:

Obviously one extra goal conceded is exactly the same as one extra goal scored in terms of the result. Jesus wept.

It's fecking barmy that someone needs that explained to them :lol:

I agree to a certain extent. Our defence is pish, no question. I'd even probably agree that it's where we are weakest. Plenty we're pish at, though, so it's a bit much to think that is we dig up a Baresi from somewhere all our problems will be solved.

I agree to a certain extent. Our defence is pish, no question. I'd even probably agree that it's where we are weakest. Plenty we're pish at, though, so it's a bit much to think that is we dig up a Baresi from somewhere all our problems will be solved.

You can start by getting some organisation in the team, especially at set pieces. We've started to lose a lot of scrappy goals, which seem to being passed off as bad luck but could be avoided by good defending and concentration.

Maybe Strachan needs to think about getting a defensive minded coach in as part of his back room staff.

What don't you get Parklife?

Ireland scored fewer goals than us but are in the play-offs - we missed out purely because we leaked more goals than Ireland at key times in key matches.

I can't figure out if you're trolling, or just dumb...

Parklife why the insults? You don't friggin' agree fine. No need for the nastiness. We are all after the same thing here - the difference of opinion is where the biggest weaknesses are and as far as I can see a blind man can spot our defence has problems if it can't shut out Georgia and Gibraltar and our attack can't be too shabby having scored three goals in two games against the world champions and four against the other automatic qualifiers Poland.

What don't you get Parklife?

Ireland scored fewer goals than us but are in the play-offs - we missed out purely because we leaked more goals than Ireland at key times in key matches.

Czech Rep scored less goals than us and conceded more yet they won a group which was far harder than ours. How did that happen? Mental. :blink: