Ally Away - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

There's definitely more Rangers leaning members of the media than any other team.

As a Rangers fan (and I don't consider myself a particularly mental one), I don't agree with that statement at all.

Keith Jackson and Richard Wilson (and perhaps Chick Young, but nobody really takes him seriously) are the only two mainstream ones I can think of who I would consider to be in any way Rangers-leaning. There are obviously Rangers 'plants' like Derek Johnstone and Gordon Dalziel on the Radio Clyde phone-in but they are there to be subjective.

On the other hand, we have Graham Spiers, Tom English, 'Spencey', Tam Cowan, Stuart Cosgrove, Hugh Keevins and Gerry McCulloch. The others (Richard Gordon, Davy Provan, Gordon Waddell et al) are pretty objective generally, as they should all be.

I wonder if your opinion isn't perhaps a historical one which needs revised because you would maybe have a point in the '90s but certainly not nowadays, in my opinion.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a Rangers fan (and I don't consider myself a particularly mental one), I don't agree with that statement at all.

Keith Jackson and Richard Wilson (and perhaps Chick Young, but nobody really takes him seriously) are the only two mainstream ones I can think of who I would consider to be in any way Rangers-leaning. There are obviously Rangers 'plants' like Derek Johnstone and Gordon Dalziel on the Radio Clyde phone-in but they are there to be subjective.

On the other hand, we have Graham Spiers, Tom English, 'Spencey', Tam Cowan, Stuart Cosgrove, Hugh Keevins and Gerry McCulloch. The others (Richard Gordon, Davy Provan, Gordon Waddell et al) are pretty objective generally, as they should all be.

I wonder if your opinion isn't perhaps a historical one which needs revised because you would maybe have a point in the '90s but certainly not nowadays, in my opinion.

So if you include Spier's who is a self confessed rangers supporter , albeit he is generally fairly unbiased, 40% of the mainstream ones are rangers?

So if you include Spier's who is a self confessed rangers supporter , albeit he is generally fairly unbiased, 40% of the mainstream ones are rangers?

Only if you completely twist my logic to suit your agenda and believe that I have named absolutely every single Scottish football journalist currently working which, by the way, I haven't because it was an off-the-top-of-my-head summary. If you disagree with my point, that's entirely up to you.

And you shouldn't include Spiers. You have presumably only included him to erroneously bump your percentage up because he is a complete turncoat, which is his prerogative, of course.

Only if you completely twist my logic to suit your agenda and believe that I have named absolutely every single Scottish football journalist currently working which, by the way, I haven't because it was an off-the-top-of-my-head summary. If you disagree with my point, that's entirely up to you.

And you shouldn't include Spiers. You have presumably only included him to erroneously bump your percentage up because he is a complete turncoat, which is his prerogative, of course.

I didn't twist anything Wolfy. I used your quote and your logic as it stands. Unless of course your original quote was twisted to suit your own agenda?

I liked him as a pundit.

Feel a bit sorry for him as it seems the name he created as a player has been tarnished a bit for some Rangers fans through his time as a manager.

Genuinely really nice guy who has a wicked sense of humour.

I think they can forgive his poor management to an extent, the noose he made for himself with the well intentioned "we don't do walking away" line might hang round his neck for some time though!

I think they can forgive his poor management to an extent, the noose he made for himself with the well intentioned "we don't do walking away" line might hang round his neck for some time though!

:lol:

Aye, true enough.

I still think he would make a reasonable manager at a club without the turmoils he had daily.

I think if you annoy both sides of the old firm, you're probably doing something right! (Unless you're just a knob...)

Surely counting Tam Cowan is stretching it a bit? :lol:

Although to counter that, does Gordon Dalziel not claim he's a 'well fan?

:lol:

Gordon Dalziel is a well fan, he says it all the time. :ok:

Heard Mark Wilson on Clyde the other night and I thought he was really good. Also had a sense of humour so that he could cope with the worst of the rockets that phone in.

Obviously had a soft spot for Celtic but was realistic with it.

I liked him as a pundit.

Feel a bit sorry for him as it seems the name he created as a player has been tarnished a bit for some Rangers fans through his time as a manager.

I like my pundits to have a wee bit of tactical nous about them, so admittedly I don't like many pundits. On the basis of the last 3 years at Rangers I am not expecting to be adding McCoist to the list of pundits I like. I hope he isn't on there just to play that "cheeky chappy" role.

It's more or less confirmed that he'll be a pundit for BT Sport's Champions League coverage.

Brilliant, I'll look forward to his insightful analyst of the top managers in europe.

Or will it just be 'hilarious' stories about putting a fish in somebody's motor or getting hit on the arse with the ball?

Edited by Big Col

IMO.

Met Ally on quite a few occasions and he was always spot on.

Very funny man who couldn't give enough time to everyone. Took him as a really down to earth man.

Take it you don't like him ?

Met him a couple of times and can't disagree

That was his downfall as a manager IMO

Edit: I'm not complaining mind you lol

Edited by DoonTheSlope

Sorry Del, must disagree. He's a scumbag. He refused to sit in on a press conference when Mo Johnstone joined Rangers because of his religion. Even though he roomed with him on Scotland trips. All because a Catholic joined Rangers.

Sorry Del, must disagree. He's a scumbag. He refused to sit in on a press conference when Mo Johnstone joined Rangers because of his religion. Even though he roomed with him on Scotland trips. All because a Catholic joined Rangers.

I'm not disputing this happened as I was a youngster at the time but I'd be intrigued to see any proof that this happened. And unbelievably disappointed if it's true.

I'm not disputing this happened as I was a youngster at the time but I'd be intrigued to see any proof that this happened. And unbelievably disappointed if it's true.

I once read a piece from Terry Butcher on it. When Souness found out Butcher's Father was a head of a church he automatically thought he was a Catholic. Turns out he was a minister. Butcher said he never told Rangers or Souness the truth as he couldn't really understand why this was an issue. Anyway he was signed with Souness believing he had pulled down a huge barrier. After time Souness found out the truth and then did he go after Johnston. When Johnston was being unveiled Souness wanted Butcher and McCoist to sit in on a press conference with him and Johnston. McCoist refused.

I've never met Ally McCoist though I have been told by folks who were present. On a couple of occasions during the 1990s when half the Rangers first team went out on the pish together and started singing certain "cultural ballads" - McCoist always immediately drank up and left the building and didn't have anything to do with them.

Shouldn't be forgotten that McCoist and Smith were great pals with the late great Tommy Burns, a devout Roman Catholic and a bigger Celtic man there has never been.

John Brown on the other hand ...............

Edited by ErsatzThistle