Ally Away - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I once read a piece from Terry Butcher on it. When Souness found out Butcher's Father was a head of a church he automatically thought he was a Catholic. Turns out he was a minister. Butcher said he never told Rangers or Souness the truth as he couldn't really understand why this was an issue. Anyway he was signed with Souness believing he had pulled down a huge barrier. After time Souness found out the truth and then did he go after Johnston. When Johnston was being unveiled Souness wanted Butcher and McCoist to sit in on a press conference with him and Johnston. McCoist refused.

Surely even souness would know the head of a Catholic Church is unlikely to have a son...

It's a bit of a leap to assume mccoists motives for not sitting in in on a press conference were religious. I'm a bit young to know but hadn't Johnstone been a successful Celtic player and been parading around in a Celtic top just before?

This is the same ally mccoist who has raised money for SCIAF and was a pall bearer at tommy burns' funeral.... But terry butcher said so, so it must be true.

Edited by bruce778

Terry had a book to sell.I think McCoist is about as far removed from being a bigot as you could get.

He was clearly shattered when Tommy Burns died. He understands Rangers v Celtic rivalry unlike many on here. Most Rangers and Celtic fans get on just fine, just as normal Scots and English do. It's a different matter when the whistle blows.

I heard McCoist talking about Johnston's signing and how Mo had phoned him for advice as he was considering the offer from Souness...

Also talks about being on Scotland duty, where he roomed with Mo, and hearing phone calls regarding the move to Rangers. Anyone who seen the pair of them play together could see how close they were.

Surely even souness would know the head of a Catholic Church is unlikely to have a son...

It's a bit of a leap to assume mccoists motives for not sitting in in on a press conference were religious. I'm a bit young to know but hadn't Johnstone been a successful Celtic player and been parading around in a Celtic top just before?

This is the same ally mccoist who has raised money for SCIAF and was a pall bearer at tommy burns' funeral.... But terry butcher said so, so it must be true.

It's a leap, because it's absolute Pish. Butcher had already been dug up about several innacuracies in his book, that being one of them. I'm not naive btw, I'm quite sure there were those at the club who had a real issue with Mo signing. Ally McCoist wasn't one of them however.

Correct about Mo being paraded in a Celtic top. It was announced he was resigning without anything actually being signed. Souness bumped into his agent and said he would have taken him. All went from there.

I think it's a bit of a leap to say mccoist can't be a bigot, 'cos he had a pal that was a ginger headed Catholic.

I'm not saying mccoist is a bigot, just that that's a pish reason to say he's definitely not.

(My opinion on that would be that he probably was a "90 minute bigot" so to speak in a less enlightened time, but grew out of it. Was there not an interview with Johnstone were mccoist was singing the sash in the background? It would've been meant as banter, and probably was funny to most folk at the time.)

It's a leap, because it's absolute Pish. Butcher had already been dug up about several innacuracies in his book, that being one of them. I'm not naive btw, I'm quite sure there were those at the club who had a real issue with Mo signing. Ally McCoist wasn't one of them however.

Correct about Mo being paraded in a Celtic top. It was announced he was resigning without anything actually being signed. Souness bumped into his agent and said he would have taken him. All went from there.

Ally McCoist is no bigot. Davie cooper was and that clown who drives your bus is certainly one.

I think it's a bit of a leap to say mccoist can't be a bigot, 'cos he had a pal that was a ginger headed Catholic.

I'm not saying mccoist is a bigot, just that that's a pish reason to say he's definitely not.

(My opinion on that would be that he probably was a "90 minute bigot" so to speak in a less enlightened time, but grew out of it. Was there not an interview with Johnstone were mccoist was singing the sash in the background? It would've been meant as banter, and probably was funny to most folk at the time.)

My opinion is you just made that up with not a shred of evidence.

Aye, saying McCoist isn't a bigot because he was pally with Johnston is the same as John Terry saying he's not racist because he has a black mate.

Almost as ridiculous as you relying on him not being at johnstones press conference as justification to call him a "scumbag".

I would say that your accusation is much less plausible given you accept he was mates with Johnstone.

Edited by bruce778

Ally McCoist is a tosser.

His "we deserve to know who these people are" pish was a fecking disgrace. He already knew exactly who they were, he just wanted it to be made public so that the cretinous element of the Rangers support could abuse and harass them (which, of course, they did).

Edited by Parklife