Sporting Event That Has Changed The Law. - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Sporting Event That Has Changed The Law.

My missus is a teacher and one of her lessons is about sport/sporting events changing law, particularly Health & Safety Legislation.

Obviously there is Hillsbrough, I've come up with the Ibrox Fire, Bradford fire and the 1980 SFA Cup Final (banning alcohol at sport in Scotland).

Anyone else have any other ideas. I'm thinking something like protective equipment, but can't think of any examples.

Cheers

J

The Ibrox stairway 13 disaster in about 1971? I think that was a factor in the implementation of the guide to safety at sports grounds (the green guide as it's generally known) although it was probably Hillsborough that was the main catalyst for that as I don't think it came into force until the early 1990s.

My missus is a teacher and one of her lessons is about sport/sporting events changing law, particularly Health & Safety Legislation.

Obviously there is Hillsbrough, I've come up with the Ibrox Fire, Bradford fire and the 1980 SFA Cup Final (banning alcohol at sport in Scotland).

Anyone else have any other ideas. I'm thinking something like protective equipment, but can't think of any examples.

Cheers

J

Was there not a change in law surrounding defibrillators after the Muamba incident?

Formula 1 safety regs and their development...... did the senna/ratzenburger weekend cause a change in the F1 safety rules?

Boxing recently stopped headgear for amateur men ..... dunno if there was a specific event that caused this change? But pretty sure someones death meant there was a rule that doc had to attend fights?

FIFA requires law changes in World Cup host countries.

http://berkeleytravaux.com/world-cup-changing-countrys-laws-one-tournament-time/

I suspect the IOC do similar.

EDIT: Sorry, just realized the OP requested info on changes to H&S legeslation. I don't think FIFA care about that too much.

Edited by Denny's Yard

Formula one must have something.

not a sport tho :wink2:

the NFL changing rules regarding leading with the helmet when tackling/helmet to helmet collisions due to them realising that players were basically just giving themselves brain damage. there's loads of stuff on ex-nfl players and brain injuries and the consequences of those injuries online now as it is a hot topic. hope this is helpful

That discussion about fox hunting/ whether it is a sport will be worth marks. It will demonstrate you have analysed the question set. Just a brief discussion to say it is a wide definition and you are aware there may be other viewpoints, so you have settled for those activities which its participants and governing bodies regard themselves as sport.

You can then shoehorn in motor sport - presumably this has had an impact on health and safety legislation. I'd like to think so, if only so that I can believe the boredom I endure when people go on about it is worth something.

I think Churchill effectively banned football for a bit during the war when someone told him there were thousands attending matches all over the country. He thought that would be a target/ was a waste of resource so banned it, although you'd have to research that. However, it gives you a chance to show your awareness of how the law operates and can change swiftly to react to extraordinary circumstances, etc.

Top marks.

Maybe not what you're looking for but could be slotted in as part of a light intro - King bans football headline (from Wicki)

The earliest historical reference to "fute-ball" in Scotland was in 1424 when King James I outlawed the playing of it in the Football Act 1424.

This was presumably because of the disruption football was having on military training as well its often violent nature.

Subsequent kings issued very similar decrees, suggesting that the bans were unsuccessful.

Certainly James the VI King of Scots was well aware of the violent nature of football, stating in his personal publication of 1603 a debar from commendable exercise "all rough and violent exercises, as the foot-ball"

The earliest historical reference to "fute-ball" in Scotland was in 1424 when King James I outlawed the playing of it in the Football Act 1424.

You can always tell the character of a place by what is banned there.... usually, it's a sign its a good place to do it

Suppose this is right on the periphery of H&S, but what about darts players (snooker too?) drinking alcohol in front of the crowd.

Thinking along those lines there was also the end of cigarette advertising in snooker, cricket, motor racing and a number of other sports.

That discussion about fox hunting/ whether it is a sport will be worth marks. It will demonstrate you have analysed the question set. Just a brief discussion to say it is a wide definition and you are aware there may be other viewpoints, so you have settled for those activities which its participants and governing bodies regard themselves as sport.

You can then shoehorn in motor sport - presumably this has had an impact on health and safety legislation. I'd like to think so, if only so that I can believe the boredom I endure when people go on about it is worth something.

I think Churchill effectively banned football for a bit during the war when someone told him there were thousands attending matches all over the country. He thought that would be a target/ was a waste of resource so banned it, although you'd have to research that. However, it gives you a chance to show your awareness of how the law operates and can change swiftly to react to extraordinary circumstances, etc.

Top marks.

Clyde were allowed 20k at games whilst Celtic allowed 10k during war ; due to Shawfield being outside Glasgow cc; Rutherglen ?

Helmets in cycling ?

Was there not a change in law surrounding defibrillators after the Muamba incident?

Don't know about that - but a collision at Cappielow between Collins and O'Keefe resulted in two stretchers being required at all grounds by St Andrews Ambulance. .. or so I am led to believe.

Edited by Betty

There was an incident at a Bradford - Huddersfield game back in the late 90s that led to a High Court case & a Bradford player being awarded around £1m damages. The ruling I think set some sort of a legal precedent about a professional player's responsibilities to their opponents. They did fail to acknkowledge that Watson was a soft, cheating tw@t but that's judges for you.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/204017.stm

http://www.sportslaw-uk.co.uk/richardking.pdf