Worst Gig Ever? - Page 5 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Worst Gig Ever?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In terms of disappointed from a gig. Iron Maiden at the SECC in 2006. They played their new album in track order then a few hits at the end.

They made up for it when they came back in 2011 though!

This. I hated that gig. Seen maiden 7 times and this was by far the worse. It's bad enough when bands play classic albums in full but playing a new album is just arrogant. Hope they don't do that next time!

Mark Kozelek/Sun Kil Moon/Red House Painters.

The guy is a genius, his band(s) are brilliant,yet he seems to be a massive, massive #####.

It didn't help that it was Halloween. So he comes on stage with a Scream/stoned mask on - and decides as a joke (to his roadie and second guitarist) to play about 80% of the set with the mask on. I didn't care personally, but when a few fans shouted out their itineary e.g ''I'm from Elgin'' he just ignored or shrugged his shoulders. Cue a few "Mask off" shouts inbetween songs, he refused.

When he did take the mask off, someone of course shouted out "mask on" then he got pishy like he does, and eneded up adding on 2-3 minute solos to the end of his songs.

His music and bands are brilliant. Sun Kil Moon - Benji is one of the greatest records ever recorded, with great lyrics, but there's no need to be an absolute bellend. He's like this everywhere I think. See him twice and both times he was a proper twat.

If anyone's music deserves to be downloaded without profit, is his.

This. I hated that gig. Seen maiden 7 times and this was by far the worse. It's bad enough when bands play classic albums in full but playing a new album is just arrogant. Hope they don't do that next time!

Saw Graham Parker recently (he was fantastic) but he did say 'look, this is from the new album, I'm sorry, I know this is the bit everyone hates'.

Also on his last tour Springsteen was doing whole albums, in order, and it was seen as a great thing by fans, because each album included a couple of rarities that he hardly ever pulls out live.

Van the Man crops up a lot. One of my favourites music wise, but he's pretty much the Yin to Bruce Springsteen's Yang when it comes to audience engagement. The music's still good live but I've never gone along to one of his concerts expecting more than a 'G'night' after the last song.

A guy I knew from Northern Ireland a while back was a huge fan of Van Morrison and also knew his manager. He saw the manager with Van in a quiet bar one day and went over to say hi to the manager and also hopefully to meet Van. He was introduced and was just launching into the next bit about how much he loved the music when Van made it clear that he really couldn't give a toss what the guy thought of his music. The conversation was swiftly ended - never meet your heroes...

On a related note, I saw Van's 70th birthday concert on Cyprus Avenue this week (on TV) and it was excellent - he was actually cracking jokes. The guy I mentioned earlier obviously doesn't bear a grudge either, as he's on the end credits as doing the electrical work for the gig. It's on BBC Four around 10.30pm tonight - worth watching...

Mine was almost going to be revised to say The Libertines last night as they didn't show up till 9.50pm, leading to whistles and boos from a number of fans worried that they weren't going to turn up at all.

As it was though, they were excellent and, more remarkably, appeared pretty sober!

Edited by thewolf_1980

Springsteen, Earls Court.

OK, I'm joking, I didn't actually get there. Bought the tickets in February for the gig in May. Finished my contract early, decided to take the family to Cyprus. Standing on my balcony in Aya Napa when it suddenly dawned on me what date it was. Still have the unused tickets and look at them wistfully from time to time.

Thankfully, have seen him few times. Even went twice on his last tour, San Siro and Hampden.

Mine was almost going to be revised to say The Libertines last night as they didn't show up till 9.50pm, leading to whistles and boos from a number of fans worried that they weren't going to turn up at all.

As it was though, they were excellent and, more remarkably, appeared pretty sober!

that happened tae me wae the housemartins upside tae that night the proclaimers played fur ages wan o their first tours a think

David Bowie's Tin Machine at the Barras or any Tartan Docs gig, anywhere ever :wave: ( I know it will have been said several times on the thread already but stopped reading about 7 posts in.)

Why is it arrogant? If you want to see the greatest hits for the 10000th time buy one of their 50 dvds.

Wolf Alice's set at Jersey Live on Saturday was effin woeful.

Had been really looking forward to it but she cannae sing and whatever voice she has got was totally drowned out by the guitars.

Not necessarily the worst gig I've ever been to, but definitely my most embarrassing, would've been when I was about 16 and I went to see Shalamar at the old Apollo on Renfield Street. That was a Night to Remember! Boom tish!

PD put Glasgow Academy into his Satnav and ended up at the school.

Seriously!

Smashing Pumpkins at the SECC on their fairwell tour.

Corgan spent most of the gig mincing about in a dress playing an acoustic.

Shame as I like their music.

I think I was there too. Did they do a 1st half all dressed in white then a 2nd half all dressed in black?

It was boring as for the first half but finished well with the darker harder stuff. I do remember thinking half way through that I'd wasted my money.