Worst Gig Ever? - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Worst Gig Ever?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rush at the SECC about 5 years ago.

We'll agree to disagree there!

I'm struggling to think of a gig I've left thinking i shouldn't have bothered.

Most shambolic was possibly Alex Chilton from Big Star at the old 13th Note. I'd seen him other times and he was great but his band had been cobbled together and were still rehearsing when we got to the venue. Francis from the Fannies was drumming and had an absolute mare.

We'll agree to disagree there!

I'm struggling to think of a gig I've left thinking i shouldn't have bothered.

Most shambolic was possibly Alex Chilton from Big Star at the old 13th Note. I'd seen him other times and he was great but his band had been cobbled together and were still rehearsing when we got to the venue. Francis from the Fannies was drumming and had an absolute mare.

When was that roughly?

Can't believe I missed it (although doesn't sound like I missed much...).

After the game in Dublin we went to Cork and were in the Hi-Bee bar - barman was playing Big Star and Gene Clark - I was impressed!

Edited by Charlie Endell

Jist watchin an 80s program on vintage tv temptation by new order brilliant song but mind gaun tae see them in 83 et tiffanys a think there tape machines kept breaking doon they wur shit

I was there too - April '83. New Order live were always very hit or miss. I've seen them much worse than this gig!

Worst for me was Simple Minds c.1985 at Hammersmith Odeon. About 2 minutes into a song I only then realised then that they were playing 'The American' . Awful - I looked at my girlfriend and asked 'are you enjoying this?'. 'No' was the answer, so we walked out. The only time in 38 years of gig going that I've walked out on a band.

Nicest gig surprise was the day of the England v Scotland game in May 1988. I went to see the Sugarcubes after the match at the Cambridge Theatre and just after the doors had opened the Jesus and Mary Chain ambled onstage, played 4 songs and then ambled off. Stuart Cosgrove was sat in front of me. A nice, unexpected surprise.

Another bad wan wiz dexys et the pavilion in 2003 met Kevin Rowland in lauders before it he wiz pished through out the gig he refused to play any old stuff he jist pranced aboot like a world war 2 spiv very disappointing