Relentless Bombardment - The Final Straw - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Relentless Bombardment - The Final Straw

I think this relentless and disgusting media bias means we won't get the yes vote.

I still can't believe they are getting away with promising more powers because a) votes have been cast and b. extra powers was never an option

I'm feeling really pissed off about this right now.

They are not offering more powers. What they are claiming to offer is not more power, it is less power with more responsibility. If we vote NO they don't need to give us anything. Don't forget they have history on this. In 1979 they said "Vote NO and we will give you something better". What we got was 35 years of Thatcherism.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know they will deliver badger all to us in the event of a no vote but the fearful among us scots will swallow this up and vote no.

I believe this is the turning point and I don't trust our population get this right.

You clearly know what they are up to. It's up to all of us to get out and about and make sure everybody else knows as well. Only a week to go. We can do this. :ok:

This is only the start. Just wait till it gets closer

The media have decided they are going to get No a victory - so they think - with the tactics previously exposed in the BBC Bias university report

Scotsman officially declaring as No tomorrow

Appears no chance of Rupert Murdoch getting the Scottish Sun to come out as Yes now from his tweets and wouldnt be surprised if they go No too

Going to be hard work to hang on

Just have to hope the Scottish people can see through most of it

Tonight is the first time in the whole campaign that i'm starting to have doubts...

All of the Nawbags big guns are being fired. A Tory PM on his knees begging us to stay (Scotland might hate the Tories, but nobody wants to kick a man when he's down). 'Scottish' banks/pension companies confirming they will relocate south if there's a Yes vote. The 24hr news channels spinning the BT message like there's no tomorrow...

Worrying. If Scotland bottles it from here...well.... :blush:

I suppose this is the time when we will find out if collectively we are the real deal or not. They hit us with everything yesterday and it really depends just how much folk trust Westminster or decide lets do our own thing.

It just seems bizarre that 3 political leaders who are all basically the same colour politically can fly in and fly out of this country and basically sweep some crumbs from their table for the Scots to feed on and our media fall over themselves to doff their caps and say thank you guv.

Tonight is the first time in the whole campaign that i'm starting to have doubts...

All of the Nawbags big guns are being fired. A Tory PM on his knees begging us to stay (Scotland might hate the Tories, but nobody wants to kick a man when he's down). 'Scottish' banks/pension companies confirming they will relocate south if there's a Yes vote. The 24hr news channels spinning the BT message like there's no tomorrow...

Worrying. If Scotland bottles it from here...well.... :blush:

These are very similar arguments and bombardments thrown at us all year - from threats to leave and threats to not use the pound - miraculously, the opinion polls did not go down, but up.

If this were a 2 week campaign, based on mainstream media, all this would be a shock, but it's not... we've had it before... it's a test of resilience though

Regardless of the Scottish dimension (!) this is partly an issue of democracy - are we to give up and be governed by bankers?

BBC just interviewed someone from John Lewis and asked if costs would rise in an jndependent Scotland. Costs might, over time, diverge from those in England, was his answer. There you have it, says BBC reporter, costs might rise in an independent Scotland. Fckrs.

I thought the bus had left according to Salmond and the momentum was with the Yes campaign?The scare tactics from the Yes campaign has been well covered in the press as well as the shameful divisive Team Scotland soundbyte.

What exactly are these YES scare tactics you speak of, or are you being tongue in cheek....if so :-))

I am just about to throw the towel in :(

Stapes, just saw that. F/king at TV this early ain't healthy. The bbc reporter spoon fed "so you are saying costs will go up" ? No he FUKKInG didn't.

He certainly tried to suggest it!

I am just about to throw the towel in :(

Courage, Sister.

This onslaught is understandable and was predictable and is eminently refutable. The full weight of the British Establishment is now behind the battering ram that is Mainstream Media.

But we WILL win this.

Salmond on Radio Scotland there debunking their reporting. "You're saying Lloyds will move their head office to London. Lloyds head office has been in London for over a century". Brilliant.

60% Yes.

Edited by Flure

Just let them blow out the day on their attack, loving the Aberdeen Asset Management boss coming out in the Press and Journal today spiking some of the guns. Eck just been on Radio Scotland giving them both barrels. Swinney on morning call which will be a full front attack on us, but at least its played to a limited audience.

Starting to like Faisal Islam on Skynews, his reporting seems a bit better than the BBC crowd. Sensing NO smell blood on YES involvement in getting Galloway banned from the Big, big debate tonight. When you get Ruth Davidson tweeting that it was wrong for him to be censored, you know the world has gone crazy.

Banks Westminster elite and their pals are predicting doom. Why are they telling people this? Becuase its a threat to their power.

The House of Lords, Eton, Bankers, BP and their dodgy environmental record and corruption, UKIP, the Orange order.

Without fail the people saying vote no in powerful positions are scum sucking bottom dwellers.

Keep the heid, keep campaigning, keep fighting for each vote...

These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated.

BBC just interviewed someone from John Lewis and asked if costs would rise in an jndependent Scotland. Costs might, over time, diverge from those in England, was his answer. There you have it, says BBC reporter, costs might rise in an independent Scotland. Fckrs.

Aye the costs of them shipping in stuff from Egypt etc.

Once we have independence, surely it will mean more chance for locally produced goods? Therefore improving our economy.

Here's a post I wrote for a couple of local Yes sites. Just raging. So angry that I took Chris Harvie's word over Flure's :yikes3:

Yesterday's onslaught on Scotland by the forces of the British State - political, financial, media - was, quite simply, one of the most disgusting spectacles I've ever witnessed. Swaying back and forth between battering Scots and showering us with love, it was an attempt to force those undecided and soft Yes voters into the No camp, and to stop the haemorrhaging of No voters. As someone who was quite sure Yes were on the verge of victory (the polls do not reflect the picture on the ground, and poor internal polling was the reason the Three Stooges graced us with their presence) yesterday had me worried. Some people will buckle under the intense pressure, and I wouldn't view them in any less a light for doing so – we all need to ensure we and our families are looked after. But now is a time for clarity and strength, a time to view these threats for what they are and stand up against the bully. It will be hard. When we see major institutions threatening to leave we see only the worst. In some cases they've threatened it before and nothing happened. Why? Because they don't need to move - you can run a financial services business from anywhere in the world.

And let’s look at the people who are making, or behind, these statements. Politicians, financiers, and media moguls. The very three groups that in the last three years have been embroiled in an expenses scandal, the virtual collapse of the banking system, and the phone tapping scandal. The very people threatening us are the very people we need to be rid of. I don’t want to live in a Scotland controlled by them, by this Cambridge and Oxford-educated boys’ club. They are not like me, and they are not like you. They don’t scrimp and save every month hoping they can make it to the next payday before the money runs out. They don’t wonder where the shoes for their kids feet will come from. They don’t visit food banks because a tin of beans from Tesco is too expensive. They have a lavish lifestyle that most of us can only imagine. They don’t inhabit the same reality as most voters in the referendum. But what Scotland has done is threaten their cosy little lifestyle. In the case of politicians, for example, 59 of them are looking at their P45 (most of us already know what that looks like) – easy to see why they’re fighting like hell to stop us going. For the others it’s about the loss of fringe benefits – the knighthood or free holidays in the Caribbean – or they’re repaying past favours (isn’t that right ‘Sir’ Ian Wood).

But this may backfire on them. Scots don't like to be bullied. And we especially don't like to be bullied by three Cambridge posh boys representing the British establishment. Let's take our country back people and build a new, better one where the gap between rich and poor narrows rather than widens. Where we aren't obsessed with spending £200,000 a day on nuclear weapons we don't even control. Where oil is used for our benefit rather than funding infrastructure vanity projects. Where we don't have troops dying needlessly in illegal wars. Where we never again have to put up with a poll tax or bedroom tax. Where our industries are protected, unlike our steel, coal and shipbuilding ones of days past. Where we control our own destiny. And that final point is the most important, because this is not a fight between Scotland and England, it is not an Alex Salmond vanity project. It is about controlling the destiny of our country and giving us and our kids the opportunity of a better future. More of the same is not enough any more. Grasp this chance people because you will never get it again. Look beyond the cheap threats to the wonderful possibilities. Vote Yes for a better Scotland.

Here's a post I wrote for a couple of local Yes sites. Just raging. So angry that I took Chris Harvie's word over Flure's :yikes3:

Yesterday's onslaught on Scotland by the forces of the British State - political, financial, media - was, quite simply, one of the most disgusting spectacles I've ever witnessed. Swaying back and forth between battering Scots and showering us with love, it was an attempt to force those undecided and soft Yes voters into the No camp, and to stop the haemorrhaging of No voters. As someone who was quite sure Yes were on the verge of victory (the polls do not reflect the picture on the ground, and poor internal polling was the reason the Three Stooges graced us with their presence) yesterday had me worried. Some people will buckle under the intense pressure, and I wouldn't view them in any less a light for doing so we all need to ensure we and our families are looked after. But now is a time for clarity and strength, a time to view these threats for what they are and stand up against the bully. It will be hard. When we see major institutions threatening to leave we see only the worst. In some cases they've threatened it before and nothing happened. Why? Because they don't need to move - you can run a financial services business from anywhere in the world.

And lets look at the people who are making, or behind, these statements. Politicians, financiers, and media moguls. The very three groups that in the last three years have been embroiled in an expenses scandal, the virtual collapse of the banking system, and the phone tapping scandal. The very people threatening us are the very people we need to be rid of. I dont want to live in a Scotland controlled by them, by this Cambridge and Oxford-educated boys club. They are not like me, and they are not like you. They dont scrimp and save every month hoping they can make it to the next payday before the money runs out. They dont wonder where the shoes for their kids feet will come from. They dont visit food banks because a tin of beans from Tesco is too expensive. They have a lavish lifestyle that most of us can only imagine. They dont inhabit the same reality as most voters in the referendum. But what Scotland has done is threaten their cosy little lifestyle. In the case of politicians, for example, 59 of them are looking at their P45 (most of us already know what that looks like) easy to see why theyre fighting like hell to stop us going. For the others its about the loss of fringe benefits the knighthood or free holidays in the Caribbean or theyre repaying past favours (isnt that right Sir Ian Wood).

But this may backfire on them. Scots don't like to be bullied. And we especially don't like to be bullied by three Cambridge posh boys representing the British establishment. Let's take our country back people and build a new, better one where the gap between rich and poor narrows rather than widens. Where we aren't obsessed with spending £200,000 a day on nuclear weapons we don't even control. Where oil is used for our benefit rather than funding infrastructure vanity projects. Where we don't have troops dying needlessly in illegal wars. Where we never again have to put up with a poll tax or bedroom tax. Where our industries are protected, unlike our steel, coal and shipbuilding ones of days past. Where we control our own destiny. And that final point is the most important, because this is not a fight between Scotland and England, it is not an Alex Salmond vanity project. It is about controlling the destiny of our country and giving us and our kids the opportunity of a better future. More of the same is not enough any more. Grasp this chance people because you will never get it again. Look beyond the cheap threats to the wonderful possibilities. Vote Yes for a better Scotland.

Stapes, that is a fantastic piece of writing. Shared on my FB, I hope many more follow suit.