Would You Take A Draw Right Now? - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Would You Take A Draw Right Now?

Stuart87

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As shown under Craig Levein many times playing for a draw doesn't work. You invite too much pressure from the opposition and 9 times out of 10 they will convert one of their chances.

Keeping it tight at the back is obviously a must but even away from home you should always be looking to score goals and get the win.

It is not about us setting out to get a draw though is it?

As I understand it the OP is asking whether we would take a draw if offered it now and that is regardless of how the match goes as could be end-to-end and be a 3-3 draw, As far as that question goes I would take the draw as it would still keep us favourably placed for a play-off spot whereas a loss would leave us out of the running as far as I am concerned. So would sooner still be in with a hope that be sitting here with hopes crushed. Obviously, give me a win any day but beggars can't be choosers.

No - if we are serious about qualifying we should be out to try and win every game. As mentioned before, we should never be settling for draws. A draw is 2 points lost.

If we beat Ireland that effectively rules them out of qualification.

The reality is getting 4 points off both Poland and Ireland should put us in a very strong position as long as we don't cock up against Georgia or Gibraltar.

We could also do with Germany not dropping more points unless it is at Hampden.

Settling for "anything" away from home is why we've not qualified for 18 years.

Some folk need to get a reality check.

I said I'd take a draw, I want a win!

Think the only thing that has cost us so far is not taking anything off Germany, while the two other teams who would (on paper at the start of the tournament) have got at least a point off them......

Germany will get out of first gear eventually, so I think picking up something against them at Hampden is a must, just to give us that extra couple of points that Ireland and Poland had over us.

Win in Dublin and 3rd place is the minimum we can expect... draw and suddenly we need other teams to help us out, while we still have a tricky trip to Tbilisi to come along.

Ideally next week we win and Georgia pick up a point v Poland (if that game was in Tbilisi I would be confident of that, but as it is in Warsaw I am not so sure) so would could leap frog into second place (as lets face it Germany are not going to screw up in Faro), which would see us going to Tbilisi knowing a win there will put some space between us and Germany or Poland depending on the result in Frankfurt that night.

Ideally next week we win and Georgia pick up a point v Poland (if that game was in Tbilisi I would be confident of that, but as it is in Warsaw I am not so sure) so would could leap frog into second place (as lets face it Germany are not going to screw up in Faro), which would see us going to Tbilisi knowing a win there will put some space between us and Germany or Poland depending on the result in Frankfurt that night.

It is a bit of a doubled-edged sword though that Poland V Georgia match. I mean best result for us, as you say, would be Georgia getting something from that match but wouldn't that act as a massive fill-up for them prior to us going there? Whereas if Poland handed them a comprehensive defeat spirits would be at a low and presumably soften them up for us?

It is a bit of a doubled-edged sword though that Poland V Georgia match. I mean best result for us, as you say, would be Georgia getting something from that match but wouldn't that act as a massive fill-up for them prior to us going there? Whereas if Poland handed them a comprehensive defeat spirits would be at a low and presumably soften them up for us?

Tried a number of different simulations and can find nothing that really suits us.

Germany beat Poland and they will be having their foot on the gas for the game at Hampden, with the knock on effect the Scotland v Poland game suddenly means winner takes all for 2nd place......

Poland win and they have won the group I feel, but in a fight between us and Germany for 2nd place, I do not fancy our chances, unless Poland feel "job done" and we can get something off them at Hampden.

At the minute its best to just take it a game at a time, as this group is still wide open I feel.

At the minute its best to just take it a game at a time, as this group is still wide open I feel.

Yes I agree with that. I have also been trying to work out permutations and feel another eight points from us would certainly get us into at least the play-offs. How do we get those eight? Point in Ireland, point in Georgia, win in Gibraltar and a home win and a home loss V Poland and Germany would give us eight.

They were softened up / out of contention the last time we played them ; and playing teenagers

The rest is history

This Scotland team seems to be well set up for playing away from home though

- aside from the dodgy defence

Yes I agree with that. I have also been trying to work out permutations and feel another eight points from us would certainly get us into at least the play-offs. How do we get those eight? Point in Ireland, point in Georgia, win in Gibraltar and a home win and a home loss V Poland and Germany would give us eight.

Yeah, 8 should be enough.... its just where 5 of that 8 is coming from.

My gut feeling still is Poland will win the group as I feel they have looked the best (I think we caught them off guard in Warsaw after they were still on a high of beating Germany.... as it was backs to the walls for us when they did get their act together in the 2nd half)

Win in Dublin and 3rd place is the minimum we can expect... draw and suddenly we need other teams to help us out, while we still have a tricky trip to Tbilisi to come along.

How have you come to this conclusion when we are already ahead of Ireland?

How have you come to this conclusion when we are already ahead of Ireland?

Only by 2 points...... If we draw we have the safety net of head to head to keep us above them should we mess up in Tbilisi and they are able to grab something against Germany and Poland, but its relying on far to many if's and but's.....

Us winning and feel that could knock the stuffing out of Ireland for the rest of the campaign (especially as they have to travel to Warsaw).

Only by 2 points...... If we draw we have the safety net of head to head to keep us above them should we mess up in Tbilisi and they are able to grab something against Germany and Poland, but its relying on far to many if's and but's.....

Us winning and feel that could knock the stuffing out of Ireland for the rest of the campaign (especially as they have to travel to Warsaw).

A draw still leaves us ahead of them with 4 games against the same sides remaining. That would mean it's in our hands, not that we are looking for favours from other teams.

We'll win over there anyway. 2-0

No I wouldn’t take a fkin draw against a team we beat thanks.

I’ll take a draw if the game develops into one that taking a draw would be a good result and I’d take one if we were losing.

OP should not take up chess

I wouldn't take 3rd place right now if offered so no a draw wouldn't do me. We should be targeting automatic qualification in this group. We are a better team than Ireland (not necessarily better individuals) so I go over there fairly optimistic that we can win the game.

I think we will win in ireland and geogia then draw with poland,lose to germany and beat gibraltar.where does that leave us.

Twenty points and probably best placed third placed team, hopefully avoiding the play off!