Charles Kennedy - Page 6 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was my understanding (of which I could be mistaken) that rather than 'needlessly connecting' anything, he answered a question he was asked about CK and Better Together?

I didn't hear the whole interview, but that's what I've read.

Exactly. Sad that so many are blinkered by their SNP bad agenda. At least Alex Massie has had the good grace to concede he was OTT. Wouldn't it be nice if more people could do likewise.

Exactly. Sad that so many are blinkered by their SNP bad agenda. At least Alex Massie has had the good grace to concede he was OTT. Wouldn't it be nice if more people could do likewise.

Some people are so deeply into their "SNP Bad" agenda, that they can't think otherwise.

Some people are so deeply into their "SNP Bad" agenda, that they can't think otherwise.

I think you're giving Massie too much credit.

Some of (most of ?) his articles in the lead up to the referendum and General Election were disgusting.

Edited by Rossy

I thought Alex Massie's piece was pretty unbelievable, read quite a bit of his stuff over the last couple of years and while I generally don't agree with much he says, it doesn't normally fall to the level of a visceral attack such as this.

I suspect he saw the interview with Salmond and reacted basing his piece largely on his opinion of Salmond as a person and less on what he was saying about Kennedy. It had all the hallmarks of something written in haste and in a rage and reminded me of one of those emails you write at work in response to some "outrage" that you immediately regret as all it does is make you look foolish and lose the argument. Of course, this piece in "the Spectator" was published within minutes of Massie pressing Save. None of that is to excuse Alex Massie, he is an experienced journalist who should know better.

There was a really good piece in Saturday's Guardian by the departing editor about how much the paper - and the industry - has changed over the last couple of decades.

Personally, I'm not sure that press regulation has caught up with the technology in the 24-7 rolling news, instant comment, social media tsunami. The vast majority of these advances have been positive and take power away from the established centre. A great example of this was Nikileaks which was discredited in hours largely via Twitter.

However, I think there needs to be much more done to correct news stories where the real facts have been established, often long after the stories themselves have died. I think this is really crucial as everything that is published these days remains easily referencible in the public domain *forever*. To go back to Nikileaks as an example, i think the Telegraph article doesn't have any reference to the contents of the memo being discredited, there is a denial by an SNP spokesman - which wasn't in the original article of course - but that's not the same thing. I don't believe that incorrect articles should be rewritten or deleted but perhaps the regulators can enforce some form of disclaimer - possibly a link to a piece that outlines some form of judgement.

In five years people will be using that Telegraph article to prove that Nicola Sturgeon loves the Tories.

Alex Massie's piece is opinion and isn't news and should stand, if only to remind people - and himself - that he can be an arsehole.

So sad, but aye, I'm glad it wasn't suicide

It might be totally unwarranted but have you seen Leaving Las Vegas ?

It might be totally unwarranted but have you seen Leaving Las Vegas ?

Aye, great movie.

You think he drank himself to death on purpose? I hope not, and there's no indication of that

Aye, great movie.

You think he drank himself to death on purpose? I hope not, and there's no indication of that

Clearly it's a god awful disease and im sure he would have been warned what effect it was having on him so i guess it's a fine line when saying he did or didnt do it on purpose

Should maybe not have said anything

Sorry Charlie

Most alcoholics know full well what the likely outcome of their continued drinking will be.

Their inability to stop in most cases is as a result of the disease being too strong for them and would rarely if ever be considered deliberate of even suicidal.

It must be bloody horrendous to be addicted to alcohol to the extent that you cannot touch the stuff at all because you know if you do you won't stop until you are blootered. But still often times you will do it anyway.

I can't imagine not being able to enjoy a few social pints or drams because of this terrible affliction.

I know people who have beaten it (so far) and people who have been beaten by it.

It is truly tragic in all cases, even when you win.

Edited by DaveyDenoon

Most alcoholics know full well what the likely outcome of their continued drinking will be.

Their inability to stop in most cases is as a result of the disease being too strong for them and would rarely if ever be considered deliberate of even suicidal.

It must be bloody horrendous to be addicted to alcohol to the extent that you cannot touch the stuff at all because you know if you do you won't stop until you are blootered. But still often times you will do it anyway.

I can't imagine not being able to enjoy a few social pints or drams because of this terrible affliction.

I know people who have beaten it (so far) and people who have been beaten by it.

My uncle is battling it just now. Horrible to watch at times. He does really welqul then has a wee relapse. Doesn't help he runs a pub. But looking St getting rid of it because he knows it's not helping.

My uncle is battling it just now. Horrible to watch at times. He does really welqul then has a wee relapse. Doesn't help he runs a pub. But looking St getting rid of it because he knows it's not helping.

Yup, it's like watching someone self destruct and you're totally helpless to do anything at all about it. Weeks on end when everything seems to be ok, full of hope and thinking this time it's beaten then wham back to square one. Heartbreaking.

Good luck to him, hope he beats it. Or should I say hope he can stay ahead of it, cos you never beat it.

I was the first to say - "oh, aye, he canna say no", but it's Nae like that. Very difficult to explain to you sociable drinkers.

Yup, it's like watching someone self destruct and you're totally helpless to do anything at all about it. Weeks on end when everything seems to be ok, full of hope and thinking this time it's beaten then wham back to square one. Heartbreaking.

Good luck to him, hope he beats it. Or should I say hope he can stay ahead of it, cos you never beat it.

Yeah he's doing well. He knew he needed help and it took a push from the family for him to go to the Priory and get it. Cost a lot but its !add a difference. Now he needs to get out of the pub business and it would help more. Its hard and I don't think people really understand it until they see someone who suffers it or suffer themselves.

Cheers for the well wishes too.

Did I really hear Andrew marr asking Alastair Campbell this morning if the "abuse" Kennedy received from "snp folk" before and after the election could have contributed?

people were describing salmond as "scum" and "despicable" earlier this week - what the hell does that make marr with a question like that?

Did I really hear Andrew marr asking Alastair Campbell this morning if the "abuse" Kennedy received from "snp folk" before and after the election could have contributed?

people were describing salmond as "scum" and "despicable" earlier this week - what the hell does that make marr with a question like that?

I think he said cybernat ... not that it makes a great deal of difference ...still a despicable insinuation from Marr and par for the course from BBC.