Human Rights - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Human Rights

Guest flumax

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this a material change that could cause another referendum? ;):P

Leaving the ECHR would breach the Good Friday Agreement as well... http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/may/12/scrapping-human-rights-act-would-breach-good-friday-agreement

The UK can't pull out of the ECHR and still be a member of the EU. The EU’s Charter of Fundamental Rights is the same thing as the ECHR. :cheers3:

Edited by Clyde1998

The HRA is devolved up here so we would be exempt, no matter what the ill-informed David Mundell trots out.

Not sure it's as clear cut as that. It's the UK that's the signatory to the HRA, not Scotland. But I'm not an expert on it, so apologies if I'm talking kak.

Not sure it's as clear cut as that. It's the UK that's the signatory to the HRA, not Scotland. But I'm not an expert on it, so apologies if I'm talking kak.

They would have to amend devolved legislation as KOP says

An absolute can of worms

Lawyer on Newsnight said so last night and questioned whether the Tories would really want to try that at this particular point in the political climate

From what I understand - and I am far from a legal expert - the UK government could enact some changes that would have an impact across the UK, for example you could no longer appeal to the European Court in Strasbourg for Human Rights cases. The Scottish Government could legislate to mitigate most but not all of the impacts, and there would be some weird contradictions.

Key thing here is whether or not the UK government wants to pick a fight with Holyrood - and also Stormont - given the wider political dynamic. Should give a good indication on what Cameron is thinking.

This is a bit awkward though.

Ruth-Davidson-Human-Rights.jpg

Edited by aaid

I can't see how it could work of constituent countries of the UK have different HR arrangements.

An example. I advise students in immigration and assist them in making visa extension applications to UKVI. We often include a cover letter saying we are sending the application under HRC (just to cover their back). If the visa is refused under possible future arrangements where would that leave students who apply from Scotland to the UK government and get a refusal?

Can of worms indeed.

Edited by Mindimoo

Now that the LibDem handbrake has been removed, expect more policies of this ilk, designed to appease the uber right-wing of the party and the nutters in the Tory press.

Edited by Rossy

Now that the LibDem handbrake has been removed, expect more policies of this ilk, designed to appease the uber right-wing of the party and the nutters in the Tory press.

Talking of the LibDem handbrake, they may say "you'll regret you got rid of us" but on the other hand, by propping them up even while curbing the worst excesses of the Tories, they made the prospect of a Cameron-led government less scary than it would have been. If we'd had 5 years of pure full-on Tory regime, they might have been voted out by now, rather than voted in. IMHO.

Edited by exile

Talking of the LibDem handbrake, they may say "you'll regret you got rid of us" but on the other hand, by propping them up even while curbing the worst excesses of the Tories, they made the prospect of a Cameron-led government less scary than it would have been. If we'd had 5 years of pure full-on Tory regime, they might have been voted out by now, rather than voted in. IMHO.

Agreed. One could almost feel sorry for them.

Almost.

Anyone reckon they will argue to bring back the death penalty after this!

I think there's a strong Tory lobby for it, but probably not strong enough to see it through & it's historically (albeit a long time ago) a free vote issue not a party line one. The destruction they are already causing though to the Justice system generically is frightening & brutal though this point is, more offenders are committing suicide in prison than they would ever get around to executing.

I think there's a strong Tory lobby for it, but probably not strong enough to see it through & it's historically (albeit a long time ago) a free vote issue not a party line one. The destruction they are already causing though to the Justice system generically is frightening & brutal though this point is, more offenders are committing suicide in prison than they would ever get around to executing.

Instant booting out of the EU for that. And TBH I believe the British electorate are not that savage.

J

Yet another piece of half arsed populist crap from a lazy kkunt of a Prime Minister (who's probably not even bothered to read the fecking Human Rights Act) designed to appeal to other lazy halfwits and pub bores who don't know what the Human Rights Act says and get all their 'news' from the Daily Mail and the Sun.

As Lord Bingham said - which of these rights do we want to discard?

The rights protected by the Convention and the Act deserve to be protected because they are, as I would suggest, the basic and fundamental rights which everyone in this country ought to enjoy simply by virtue of their existence as a human being.

Let me briefly remind you of the protected rights, some of which I have already mentioned.

The right to life.
The right not to be tortured or subjected to inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment. The right not to be enslaved.
The right to liberty and security of the person.
The right to a fair trial.
The right not to be retrospectively penalised.
The right to respect for private and family life.
Freedom of thought,conscience and religion. Freedom of expression.
Freedom of assembly and association.
The right to marry.
The right not to be discriminated against in the enjoyment of those rights.
The right not to have our property taken away except in the public interest and with compensation.
The right of fair access to the country’s educational system.
The right to free elections.

Which of these rights, I ask, would we wish to discard? Are any of them trivial, superfluous, unnecessary? Are any them un-British?

There may be those who would like to live in a country where these rights are not protected, but I am not of their number.
Human rights are not, however, protected for the likes of people like me – or most of you. They are protected for the benefit above all of society’s outcasts, thosewho need legal protection because they have no other voice – the prisoners, the mentally ill, the gipsies, the homosexuals, the immigrants, the asylum-seekers, those who are at any time the subject of public obloquy.