Unionists - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They do love their country they believe Britain or the UK is a country ,

this is where they are fundamentally, legally and factually incorrect ,

they are Nationalists ( country before everything else) and dont want their 'country' to be broken.

The

This takes me back to the scenes in George Square on Friday 19th September, horrible hate filled loyalist's meant to be celebrating their victory, god only knows what would have happened if the "45" had been a "51"

That is the only thing i 'like' about the no vote.

The 'no' side cant handle the fact they have won, imagine how bad it would have been if they had lost

I believe there would have been civil unrest, riots, a sort of Orange walk with much more support, imo and all over Scotland,,

Scotland wasnt ready in September, it will be in ten years time, the sting has been taken out of Indy, people thought it was a fringe movement. they now know it isnt......

remember they were saying that if it wasnt a 70% no , it would be a disaster.....

It's the staunch No voting unionists who paradoxically declare their pride in Scottish sporting teams, bore folk down the pub about great inventors of bygone ages, and get all misty eyed at the Bonnie Prince sailing over the sea to Skye etc that gets me.

Fair enough if you want to be British but this want it both ways is basically delusional, it was somehow just about reconcilable pre Sep as the question had never been asked.

We've been subconsciously conditioned for generations Bannannan, no surprises some folks have little or no self

confidence especially in the older generations.

education is the key. it's no co-incidence that broadcasting wasn't devolved but the social media is a game changer

10yrs after a Yes vote all self loathing stuff will be impossible to imagine still occurring except by the most bitter types, indeed telling that it used to exist to a first time voter they'd prob doubt it ever happened.

The fledging USA colonial army in 1766 wasn't supported by the majority of the Americans, indeed New York was steadfastly loyal to the crown. Roll forward a decade post Indy, impossible to think of a return of the British empire.

During the course of a day I get really down thinking about our lack of self confidence.What a chance we had and didn't use it.

I think it is due in a large part to the "Brain Drain" which has been going on for decades, if not centuries. If you just take this message board for example. There is a huge amount of talent, confidence and even intellect amongst the folk who regularly post on here. I reckon a sizeable proportion of them have moved abroad to better themselves. If all of those folk had decided to stay in Scotland, I think we would be a far more confident nation as a whole.

It's the staunch No voting unionists who paradoxically declare their pride in Scottish sporting teams, bore folk down the pub about great inventors of bygone ages, and get all misty eyed at the Bonnie Prince sailing over the sea to Skye etc that gets me.

Fair enough if you want to be British but this want it both ways is basically delusional, it was somehow just about reconcilable pre Sep as the question had never been asked.

Although on the other hand celebrating these things doesn't require the belief that Scotland should be politically independent.

Many of our great inventors did their work in England. Prince Charlie wanted to be king of the UK. As for sport, it's only a game...

10yrs after a Yes vote all self loathing stuff will be impossible to imagine still occurring except by the most bitter types, indeed telling that it used to exist to a first time voter they'd prob doubt it ever happened.

10 years after a Yes vote, our current generation will seem as ridiculous as the ladies of the Womens Anti Suffrage League.

I didn't vote No because of nationalism. I'm a individualist and don't believe that it matters what we define as our nation. I voted No because I think that the path that many independence supporters want to go down is not a desirable one.

I would support independence if I thought we would go down that right path and choose to apply some of the greatest aspects of Scottish success i.e. free banking system and a fair market economy.

I didn't vote No because of nationalism. I'm a individualist and don't believe that it matters what we define as our nation. I voted No because I think that the path that many independence supporters want to go down is not a desirable one.

I would support independence if I thought we would go down that right path and choose to apply some of the greatest aspects of Scottish success i.e. free banking system and a fair market economy.

Problem is, those two things don't align. To operate properly, a market needs to have enough suppliers and customers so that the exit of one player has no overall effect on the market as a whole, and there need to be no barriers to entry or exit as both a supplier and a consumer. Banking can't be considered a free market in those terms so has to be regulated to ensure that there are no adverse effects when suppliers or consumers hit trouble. It was pushing the free market in banking and financial services that caused the financial crisis.

Problem is, those two things don't align. To operate properly, a market needs to have enough suppliers and customers so that the exit of one player has no overall effect on the market as a whole, and there need to be no barriers to entry or exit as both a supplier and a consumer. Banking can't be considered a free market in those terms so has to be regulated to ensure that there are no adverse effects when suppliers or consumers hit trouble. It was pushing the free market in banking and financial services that caused the financial crisis.

What we have today is not even close to a free market banking system. Lender of last resort, government guaranteed deposit insurance and loads of legal privileges does not a free market system make.

Scottish history shows an example of a long-lasting and successful free banking system.

I've been back a week now and find it all very depressing, watched the debates and spoke to people in pubs and find myself losing any interest or hope in UK politics.

There's a lot to love about Scotland but if after many lifetimes of the Union, this is all we have to show for it and people are scared because they think things will get worse then me, no wonder so many leave.

I've been back a week now and find it all very depressing, watched the debates and spoke to people in pubs and find myself losing any interest or hope in UK politics.

There's a lot to love about Scotland but if after many lifetimes of the Union, this is all we have to show for it and people are scared because they think things will get worse then badger me, no wonder so many leave.

SNP polled gains are unprecedented. What more would you liked to have seen to reignite your interest in UK politics?

And every country loses young people who travel away for different experiences. Scotland is no different - a large proportion come back and this is also balanced by the students coming in. If SNP can wrestle anything from a possible coalition it would be to re-introduce post graduate visas with a route to ILR. If this is only introduced in Scotland then so be it.

Loads to be optimistic about post referendum. I don't share your holiday pessimism.

There's a lot to love about Scotland but if after many lifetimes of the Union, this is all we have to show for it and people are scared because they think things will get worse then badger me, no wonder so many leave.

Exactly. For proof, read my signature. :(

SNP polled gains are unprecedented. What more would you liked to have seen to reignite your interest in UK politics?

And every country loses young people who travel away for different experiences. Scotland is no different - a large proportion come back and this is also balanced by the students coming in. If SNP can wrestle anything from a possible coalition it would be to re-introduce post graduate visas with a route to ILR. If this is only introduced in Scotland then so be it.

Loads to be optimistic about post referendum. I don't share your holiday pessimism.

Any other countries have the same population stagnation over years as Scotland?

I'm probably being naive, the referendum was so exciting, full of hope and hearing actual debates about the type of Scotland people want to live in but the return to party politics is easy to disengage from, but I guess this is politics, I don't. I'll still vote and keep an interest in it as much as possible.

I can understand non Scots voting No but just cant get my head round why Scots did.Are we to go down in history as being the first nation to vote against our countries independence? Scots unionists should have the letter Q tattooed onto their foreheads as a mark of shame.