Matt Ritchie - Page 8 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Matt Ritchie

kmcca5

Wow. If I had to move, and in my field of work I quite possibly would; I would never bring my children up as anything but Scottish. Scotland tops, Scottish history, Braveheart.. the lot.

I couldn't comprehend what type of person, or persons, would make the conscious decision to not bring up their children as Scottish due to what part of the world they live in.

Braveheart?!!

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm trying to get my head round what kind of person, or persons, would make a conscious decision lo live in another country than Scotland but bring their children up as Scottish? So that country is a good enough country to work and live in but being a national of that country isn't acceptable for their children that grew up there. That is mental. Sociopathic even.

I always have a good laugh on here when I read "someone was brought up to be Scottish". What a load of nonsense. No, they have Scottish ancestry or family links.

Military family? A Dad works in the Foreign Office? My cousin who lives in Qatar and works in the oil industry? Civil Servants? Anybody who moved to England for work? Corby? All Scottish, and all could raise their children to be proud Scots.

Please feel free to replace Scots with any other nationality, because they can feel equally proud.

J

I'm trying to get my head round what kind of person, or persons, would make a conscious decision lo live in another country than Scotland but bring their children up as Scottish?

I think it's fair play if you want to raise your kids abroad immersed in Scottish culture, although I do think that you could never be 100% Scottish if you haven't lived here.

I know being brought up in England is a bit of a grey area as (for now) it's technically the same country.

Certainly from my own family I know my cousins in Ontario are immensely proud of their Scots roots, but they'd never consider themselves to be anything other than Canadian.

I think it's fair play if you want to raise your kids abroad immersed in Scottish culture, although I do think that you could never be 100% Scottish if you haven't lived here.

I know being brought up in England is a bit of a grey area as (for now) it's technically the same country.

Certainly from my own family I know my cousins in Ontario are immensely proud of their Scots roots, but they'd never consider themselves to be anything other than Canadian.

Its funny, as I have come across the same in Australia. My theory is some countries assymilate people better. IMO Canada, Australia & New Zealand are prime examples of this.

The childern of immigrants are very much Australian first and Scots second.

I also believe if you are living in a country but intend to return home. That gives you a link to Scotland. My cousins kids would never say they are Qatari.

Also, the lines are obviously blurred in the UK. People move across this island for a number of reasons and still consider themselves Scots, and would consider their children Scots.

J

Here's a question.. has anyone gone back to Scotland for their kids birth? or considered it?

With how mobile people are these days and a lot of Scots who live outside Scotland, it seems quite easy to end up with younger generations of Scottish families which aren't actually eligible for Scotland any more. So has anyone 'refreshed the link' so to speak?

As a Scot outside Scotland, I don't know that I'd do it, mainly cos the trip back would probably not be the best thing for my pregnant missus.

Here's a question.. has anyone gone back to Scotland for their kids birth? or considered it?

With how mobile people are these days and a lot of Scots who live outside Scotland, it seems quite easy to end up with younger generations of Scottish families which aren't actually eligible for Scotland any more. So has anyone 'refreshed the link' so to speak?

As a Scot outside Scotland, I don't know that I'd do it, mainly cos the trip back would probably not be the best thing for my pregnant missus.

Sure I read that Archie Gemmil did it

I'm trying to get my head round what kind of person, or persons, would make a conscious decision lo live in another country than Scotland but bring their children up as Scottish? So that country is a good enough country to work and live in but being a national of that country isn't acceptable for their children that grew up there. That is mental. Sociopathic even.

I always have a good laugh on here when I read "someone was brought up to be Scottish". What a load of nonsense. No, they have Scottish ancestry or family links.

Many reasons why? They moved to that country as a teenager with family and unless you have accommodating family back up in Scotland (quite possible you don't) then you are basically stranded. You do your schooling and need to find a job and the roots start to grow and before you know it you get married and have kids. The fire within for Scotland still burns bright but unless you win the pools or something there is no way of returning to the homeland. Doesn't mean you are any less a passionate Scot though - if anything you become more so. Why? Well if it is England you constantly take the ribbing from Englanders - takes a lot of heart and spirit to take years and years of piss-taking. And then look at the likes of James McCarthy - born here and lived a big preportion of his life here, brought up by Scots coaches etc and lo and behold turned his back on us or look at Duncan Ferguson (okay some will argue he had his reasons) but still turned his back on his country even though as a kid he would have sworn blind he was a passionate Scot.

Might as well chuck a grenade in here. :)

The general consensus appears to be that it's perfectly acceptable to leave Scotland and to bring up your children to feel Scottish rather than the country they were born in.

And if the children feel Scottish, we'll accept them. Jack Harper, Don Hutchison, Richard Gough, Andy Goram for example. So it follows that Matt Ritchie should be accepted too.

But it has to work both ways. We can't accept those players and then react with outrage if a natural-born Scot choses to play for another country because he has an ancestral link to it.

And I'm sure I can think of a couple who come into that category, both of whom we'll probably face in June. And who've had just a tiny bit of stick from us over the years....

Might as well chuck a grenade in here. :)

The general consensus appears to be that it's perfectly acceptable to leave Scotland and to bring up your children to feel Scottish rather than the country they were born in.

And if the children feel Scottish, we'll accept them. Jack Harper, Don Hutchison, Richard Gough, Andy Goram for example. So it follows that Matt Ritchie should be accepted too.

But it has to work both ways. We can't accept those players and then react with outrage if a natural-born Scot choses to play for another country because he has an ancestral link to it.

And I'm sure I can think of a couple who come into that category, both of whom we'll probably face in June. And who've had just a tiny bit of stick from us over the years....

Which is why the booing of them never sat well with me, as basically my kids could be considered an "Aiden McGeady".

TBH I boo them just to put them off their game (and the rest of the stadium is doing it). If we get a reaction, jobs done from a fans perspective, we have helped the team.

J

You can register your kid anywhere so you could register him at your parents home in Glasgow even if you lived in London so no need to actually make the journey!

You can register your kid anywhere so you could register him at your parents home in Glasgow even if you lived in London so no need to actually make the journey!

Wherever you registered your child you will have to provide the note from the hospital saying where he was born.

J

We kind of did. We were living in Bristol when the wife got pregnant and decided to move back to Scotland before the wee man was born. We felt we needed the support of family round about us - i.e. babysitters - but I have to admit that not wanting my wee boy talking like a wurzel was also a factor.

Wow. If I had to move, and in my field of work I quite possibly would; I would never bring my children up as anything but Scottish. Scotland tops, Scottish history, Braveheart.. the lot.

I couldn't comprehend what type of person, or persons, would make the conscious decision to not bring up their children as Scottish due to what part of the world they live in.

Same as what I'll be doing. He will be raised knowing his ansestry and history. If my English other half doesn't want to raise him to know her side then that's up to her but he will grow up to know that he has both nationalitys

When I first moved down here my mum asked what I would do if I met someone and got them pregnant straight away I told her as soon as she went into labour we would be onto the a1 and foot down till we hit the border. When my Mrs fell pregnant I told her. She still thinks I'm kidding lol

When I first moved down here my mum asked what I would do if I met someone and got them pregnant straight away I told her as soon as she went into labour we would be onto the a1 and foot down till we hit the border. When my Mrs fell pregnant I told her. She still thinks I'm kidding lol

Make it happen!!

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/gordon-strachan-asked-bournemouth-star-5346027

Strachan said: “The first thing you ask is: ‘Are you Scottish?’ It’s that simple. Some people might have Scottish fathers but think of themselves as English.

“He feels Scottish, that’s what he wants to be and he was so excited when he got the call. He was away to speak to his dad straight away.

“You ask if people want to be Scottish. There have been a couple who hummed and hawed and so, no.

“You need to have that feeling – as much as the paperwork. You have to feel you want to be Scottish.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/gordon-strachan-asked-bournemouth-star-5346027

Strachan said: “The first thing you ask is: ‘Are you Scottish?’ It’s that simple. Some people might have Scottish fathers but think of themselves as English.

“He feels Scottish, that’s what he wants to be and he was so excited when he got the call. He was away to speak to his dad straight away.

“You ask if people want to be Scottish. There have been a couple who hummed and hawed and so, no.

“You need to have that feeling – as much as the paperwork. You have to feel you want to be Scottish.

Well if it is good enough for Wee Gordon (and he seems to be happy) then that should be all that matters - although I know that will not be the case.

I told the wife the same thing that when the time comes we are driving back across the border. It never happened.

my boy was born down here and he is English but if he chooses to follow Scotland like me then I wouldn't stop him.

but to me you are where you were born.

far to many people want to think they are something different they want to change the country of there birth just for money and there own profile.

what a load of tosh