Matt Ritchie - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Matt Ritchie

kmcca5

I don't think its extremist to want scottish players to play for Scotland. He said himself he feels english but is technically half scottish because of his dad.

The same extremist fans are more than happy for players like alexander and Hutchinson so represent us.

It's not difficult if you read what people are actually saying

Well then, he is half scottish. There shouldn't even be a debate about him. All these people making a big deal over it more than likely don't even understand his situation with having one Scot and one English parent. The fact that this has reached 10 pages is embarassing.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 kids all born in germany .Complete schooling in Germany.Call them German they'd kill you.

mine too.... son never lived in Scotland until nearly secondary school, daughter born in Munich. Likes to 'switch' to Germany when we exit tourneys. They are Scottish through and through.... because they choose to be.

Well then, he is half scottish. There shouldn't even be a debate about him. All these people making a big deal over it more than likely don't even understand his situation with having one Scot and one English parent. The fact that this has reached 10 pages is embarassing.

I understand that he said he feels English and therefore should play for England.

Anyway, I realise that managers will cap the Ritchie's of the world regardless of the above, he'll get the same support as the other players if and when he makes his debut.

I don't think its extremist to want scottish players to play for Scotland. He said himself he feels english but is technically half scottish because of his dad.

He doesn't just feel English, he IS English. Anyone who's spent their whole life there clearly is. However he has Scottish heritage and is wants to play for us. If he's going to improve our squad I'm happy to welcome him aboard...

maybe gs would have been better asking him if he had the choice play for england or scotland who would he choose.chances are this is another player who has little chance of being asked/ selected for his place of birth so happy to take second best much like others

I understand that he said he feels English and therefore should play for England.

Anyway, I realise that managers will cap the Ritchie's of the world regardless of the above, he'll get the same support as the other players if and when he makes his debut.

Id hope so anyway. This talk of get him to feck and he's my new boo boy is totally shocking tbh.

If I was Ritchie and England called me up id say the exact same thing he has. I look forward to seeing him. He's another great option in that 3 behind the striker position. Anya left Ritchie right sounds great.

My only concern with Ritchie is he's a lefty who plays down the right. We don't get good delivery from the left as Anya can't cross a ball for love nor money, and having Ritchie need to cut back on his left to deliver won't be ideal. They have other attributes which will be valuable, I'm just not sure if they'll be the best combination. But then I guess we don't have a lot of wide men who actually hit really good crosses.

My only concern with Ritchie is he's a lefty who plays down the right. We don't get good delivery from the left as Anya can't cross a ball for love nor money, and having Ritchie need to cut back on his left to deliver won't be ideal. They have other attributes which will be valuable, I'm just not sure if they'll be the best combination. But then I guess we don't have a lot of wide men who actually hit really good crosses.

Anya's right footed - I feel bit sorry for him being played on the left. Strachan likes inverted wingers, it seems.

When Gauld, GMS and Armstrong get in the squad, which they will, then I think Richie may struggle for a place. He doesn't look to have much pace, so Forest will also get in a head of him, as will Snodgrass for other reasons. Save your energy.

Other players in the squad will inevitably get injured, suspended or fade away from the international reckoning. Maloney and Darren Fletcher are in their early thirties now, we need to have their future replacements in mind.

Anya's right footed - I feel bit sorry for him being played on the left. Strachan likes inverted wingers, it seems.

Wasn't that one of Craigs Browns favorite ploys? Sure he used to play John Collins on the right, when he would play for Celtic on the left.

Suppose its no worse than the news coming out of Lithuania today, who have included South African born and based player Larry Cohen in their squad after he was granted Lithuanian citizenship (no details on how he exactly qualifies, but its pretty much no secret that he is doing it just to get a move to Europe and not require a visa/work permit)

Wasn't that one of Craigs Browns favorite ploys? Sure he used to play John Collins on the right, when he would play for Celtic on the left.

It was a bit different for Collins because he didn't have the pace to get round a fullback. I don't like quick players like Anya, GMS and Forrest played on the wrong side - it kills the momentum when they have to check back. I suppose we have quick full backs on the overlap at least.

It was a bit different for Collins because he didn't have the pace to get round a fullback. I don't like quick players like Anya, GMS and Forrest played on the wrong side - it kills the momentum when they have to check back. I suppose we have quick full backs on the overlap at least.

Worked against Germany ;)

(till we lost)

Other players in the squad will inevitably get injured, suspended or fade away from the international reckoning. Maloney and Darren Fletcher are in their early thirties now, we need to have their future replacements in mind.

We already do.

Maloney - Snodgrass, Naismith, Morrison all play in that hole.. and did before Maloney became 1st choice fairly recently. If Snodgrass hadn't got injured, Maloney would probably not have got in the team is Snodgrass hadn't got injured. We've then got Gauld and Armstrong coming thru behind those 3.

Fletcher - Mulgrew, Morrison, McArthur are the main three. McDonald got a look in a little while ago.

I know some people like to see the international side packed with 22 year olds, but we all know that while it's nice to have a couple of young and exciting talents, the majority of footballers peak after 25. Our squad's currently a pretty good age, and ideally we'll keep that average age fairly steady, cycling thru players who are 25+ as they reach their peak. There will be exceptions, the likes of Hanley, Robertson and Gauld, but in generally you want the bulk of the team experienced and more mentally resilient. I think we're good for the next 5 years.. and by then who knows which new young players will have come thru. GMS will be 29, Gauld 24, Armstrong 27.

I don't agree with that, I don't think that DBTA is saying that you can't feel Scottish - whatever that is - if you are brought up out with Scotland.

Even if someone is "brought up Scottish", out with Scotland by Scottish parents then as much as that influence would be important, the influence of friends would also be important.

If you are brought up in Scotland to Scottish parents then *all* your influences are Scottish.

Spot on. I'm not saying anyone can't feel Scottish, that's not for me to say. But if you are born/brought up in Scotland then you are going to, normally, be subject to a lot more "Scottishness" than anyone outside Scotland. Unless their parents are the Mike Myers character from SIMAAM.

I know a lot of children brought up in Scotland who wear England tops to Rangers games.. It's all about upbringing.

Yep, sorry, should have qualified my remark by saying if you are are Scotland supporter brought up in Scotland.

Its not embarrasing at all. Im not going to stop debating this because you dont like the subject matter. Your opinion on this subject is equally alien and frustrating to me as mine is to you.

Suppose its no worse than the news coming out of Lithuania today, who have included South African born and based player Larry Cohen in their squad after he was granted Lithuanian citizenship (no details on how he exactly qualifies, but its pretty much no secret that he is doing it just to get a move to Europe and not require a visa/work permit)

It says he's of Lithuanian descent, I presume grandparents? Fair play to him, I don't think too many Jews returned there after the war...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Cohen_(soccer)

I don't agree with that, I don't think that DBTA is saying that you can't feel Scottish - whatever that is - if you are brought up out with Scotland.

Even if someone is "brought up Scottish", out with Scotland by Scottish parents then as much as that influence would be important, the influence of friends would also be important.

If you are brought up in Scotland to Scottish parents then *all* your influences are Scottish.

How about the Irish community, Pakistani community, Afro-Carribiean community, Polish Community, etc? The first three are now second/third generation Scots, with strong ties to their for fathers land of birth. Within a generation we will have second generation Polish/Scots.

J

I'm trying to get my head round what kind of person, or persons, would make a conscious decision lo live in another country than Scotland but bring their children up as Scottish? So that country is a good enough country to work and live in but being a national of that country isn't acceptable for their children that grew up there. That is mental. Sociopathic even.

I always have a good laugh on here when I read "someone was brought up to be Scottish". What a load of nonsense. No, they have Scottish ancestry or family links.

I'm trying to get my head round what kind of person, or persons, would make a conscious decision lo live in another country than Scotland but bring their children up as Scottish? So that country is a good enough country to work and live in but being a national of that country isn't acceptable for their children that grew up there. That is mental. Sociopathic even.

I always have a good laugh on here when I read "someone was brought up to be Scottish". What a load of nonsense. No, they have Scottish ancestry or family links.

Wow. If I had to move, and in my field of work I quite possibly would; I would never bring my children up as anything but Scottish. Scotland tops, Scottish history, Braveheart.. the lot.

I couldn't comprehend what type of person, or persons, would make the conscious decision to not bring up their children as Scottish due to what part of the world they live in.

This thread is like Groundhog Day. Every time some questionably eligible player gets selected, we get a 10 page minimum thread. Same arguments and usually the same posters.

indeed and you think folk would be able to understand the argument since it's been going on so long, alas they cannot, hence why i've got to drag the dead carcass of the argument in each time and explain again what the actual argument is, and it's nothing to do with where you were born.