Scotland Players In Action - Page 148 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Players In Action

kmcca5

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right, at Leeds v Hull game today.

Robertson great attacking wise, not a defender though.

Cooper outstanding. Why Strachan hasn't included him yet is beyond me.

If it were up to me then Robertson would start on the left wing. Would offer a great threat.

Seeing as how we are so low on central defenders, Liam Cooper should be given a couple of games to show what he can do. Mark McGhee has also mentioned that Cooperin some interviews. Sadly think Strachan would sooner call up an old favourite of his like Stephen McManus in an emergency rather than take a chance on Cooper.

Edited by ErsatzThistle

Right, at Leeds v Hull game today.

Robertson great attacking wise, not a defender though.

Cooper outstanding. Why Strachan hasn't included him yet is beyond me.

If it were up to me then Robertson would start on the left wing. Would offer a great threat.

Seeing as how we are so low on central defenders, Liam Cooper should be given a couple of games to show what he can do. Mark McGhee has also mentioned that Cooperin some interviews. Sadly think Strachan would sooner call up an old favourite of his like Stephen McManus in an emergency rather than take a chance on Cooper.

Or maybe we just take a growth mindset and give him some time to develop the defensive side of his game considering he's only 21 and only played at a professional club for 2 and a half years, rather than taking a classic Scottish football approach by deciding he'll never master his position at 21.

Or maybe we just take a growth mindset and give him some time to develop the defensive side of his game considering he's only 21 and only played at a professional club for 2 and a half years, rather than taking a classic Scottish football approach by deciding he'll never master his position at 21.

What age do we wait to give new Scotland players their debuts then ? 25 ? 26 ? To hell with that.

If they are good enough, they are old enough.

Also, don't know where you got the idea that Cooper has only recently turned professional. He's been a professional he was 16 and has already managed to play in all four of the senior divisions in England for Hull, Carlisle, Huddersfield and Chesterfield.

We badly need to find more central defenders. I'm not saying Liam Cooper is the new Willie Miller, far from it, but he is a young, fresh option and has to be looked at.

As much as I love him, Strachan is not to be above criticism. His stubbornness and reluctance to try out new players, preffering to stick with the same old declining favourites was partially his downfall at Celtic.

What age do we wait to give new Scotland players their debuts then ? 25 ? 26 ? To hell with that.

If they are good enough, they are old enough.

Also, don't know where you got the idea that Cooper has only recently turned professional. He's been a professional he was 16 and has already managed to play in all four of the senior divisions in England for Hull, Carlisle, Huddersfield and Chesterfield.

We badly need to find more central defenders. I'm not saying Liam Cooper is the new Willie Miller, far from it, but he is a young, fresh option and has to be looked at.

As much as I love him, Strachan is not to be above criticism. His stubbornness and reluctance to try out new players, preffering to stick with the same old declining favourites was partially his downfall at Celtic.

I'm talking about Robertson...

Macy said Robertson isn't a defender and you suggested playing him out of position on the left wing because he hasn't mastered the defensive side of the game yet.

It worked for Gareth Bale.

Bale was actually turned into a left winger because Assou-ekotto was keeping him out of left-back, oh....and Bale had the pace to gas the best right-back in the world before he moved there too.

Robertson should be given time to master his own position before exploring other options, if we start shifting him about it won't do his confidence any good at this stage.

I just hate this ''I've seen him numerous times and he's hopeless at defending'' when the guys only 21, most people would have said Cristiano Ronaldo couldn't shoot at 21.

More than anything the role of a full-back (and that of a winger) has changed so much now, the demands on a winger are more often than not now to play as more of an inside forward (usually opposite footed too) to drag your full-back in and be a goal threat/link up with central players whilst a full-back has to provide width, be a ball carrier and have excellent delivery.

Robertson has most of the attributes of the type of full-back which will dominate over the next 10 years, we just need to be patient and I'm sure he'll become stronger defensively too as he gets more and more gametime under his belt and more and more coaching.

Bale was actually turned into a left winger because Assou-ekotto was keeping him out of left-back, oh....and Bale had the pace to gas the best right-back in the world before he moved there too.

Robertson should be given time to master his own position before exploring other options, if we start shifting him about it won't do his confidence any good at this stage.

I just hate this ''I've seen him numerous times and he's hopeless at defending'' when the guys only 21, most people would have said Cristiano Ronaldo couldn't shoot at 21.

More than anything the role of a full-back (and that of a winger) has changed so much now, the demands on a winger are more often than not now to play as more of an inside forward (usually opposite footed too) to drag your full-back in and be a goal threat/link up with central players whilst a full-back has to provide width, be a ball carrier and have excellent delivery.

Robertson has most of the attributes of the type of full-back which will dominate over the next 10 years, we just need to be patient and I'm sure he'll become stronger defensively too as he gets more and more gametime under his belt and more and more coaching.

A professional footballer who has played now for a few seasons at a good level yet still can't defend.

I'd suggest he's not going to grow into that role now.

He is not a good defender but can go forwards. That's telling me he needs tried elsewhere.

A professional footballer who has played now for a few seasons at a good level yet still can't defend.

I'd suggest he's not going to grow into that role now.

He is not a good defender but can go forwards. That's telling me he needs tried elsewhere.

Tierney looks like a more natural defender, although Robertson will certainly get better. We do need to think defence first though. Height at set pieces is also an issue for us.

Hoping hanley will mature into a world class second half. It's our weakest position. Gone are the days when we could have a club pairing. Miller and mcliesh or leveine and mcpherson.

"World class"?

I hope I wake up next to Shakira tomorrow morning. It's more likely than Hanley ever being world class.

I thought Bridcutt looked a reasonable option for us when he got into the squad. Problem was/is that he was yet another holding midfielder when what we need is centre backs and forwards.

Its obvious though that he was "Poyet's boy" as he did really well for him at Brighton and he hardly featured for Sunderland after Poyet left.

A good option if he starts to get a regular game and can get himself to a decent club with a future - by which I don't mean Leeds.

Edited by aaid

I thought Bridcutt looked a reasonable option for us when he got into the squad. Problem was/is that he was yet another holding midfielder when what we need is centre backs and forwards.

Its obvious though that he was "Poyet's boy" as he did really well for him at Brighton and he hardly featured for Sunderland after Poyet left.

A good option if he starts to get a regular game and can get himself to a decent club with a future - by which I don't mean Leeds.

Our players don't need to be at 'decent clubs' just playing well regularly for shit clubs will do.

Did Bridcutt not get injured not long after signing for Sunderland and never been able to get a place?

Palmer I liked the look of when he was in the u21's, but think he was a central midfielder then, and looked far to light weight to make it as a footballer (as he was built like a needle) and seems to have found his ideal position.

Liam Palmer just got MotM for Sheffield Wednesday vs Derby. Could he be the competition for Hutton and Paterson? Totally forgot about him.

I spoke to Sheffield Wednesday fans about them when I say Brighton there a few weeks back and they all said the same thing that he was distinctively average. Hope I am wrong, still not seen him play so can't give an honest opinion.

He's not had a good run I'm the squad this season under the new manager and the words squad player were mentioned by all whom I asked.

Edited by kmcca5

I asked a mate of mine who is a Leeds member about him and his opinion was that Cooper was a long way off of International standard.

I asked a mate of mine who is a Leeds member about him and his opinion was that Cooper was a long way off of International standard.

Much like the current crop of central defenders then. He should slot in nicely.

Much like the current crop of central defenders then. He should slot in nicely.

Good point, if we're going down the route of eligibles, it would be better if we could get some good ones. Mind you england's centre halts aren't exactly brilliant either.

Tierney looks like a more natural defender, although Robertson will certainly get better. We do need to think defence first though. Height at set pieces is also an issue for us.

Tierney LB Robertson LW - Give it a chance in a friendly. Tried and tested failures like Whittaker etc your time has passed....

Parklife, on 06 Dec 2015 - 10:29 AM, said:

"World class"?

I hope I wake up next to Shakira tomorrow morning. It's more likely than Hanley ever being world class.

killiefaetheferry, on 06 Dec 2015 - 2:42 PM, said:

More likely you will wake up next to pakora tomorrow morning.

Shakira and Pakora were both absent this morning. :(