Scotland Players In Action - Page 160 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland Players In Action

kmcca5

Funny how pretty much all other nations don't follow that rule and regularly include teenagers in their full sides for friendlies yet we don't.

I guess we have been so successful that we should continue as we have been going...

Besides we should be genuinly blooding these players and trying them out rather than giving them 10 minutes of football. Also the experience of being around the full squad and international set up is very important.

Fletcher, Snodgrass and Dorrans did blaze a trail to the u19 Euro cup final and we all got quite excited, certainly more so than for a friendly against, say, Hungary. I'm all for fast tracking the best players but it depends on the circumstances surrounding each game. There's a lot to be said for a generation of talent bonding in a knock out tournament - against the very players they'll be facing in the years to come.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ritchie was known about. Circa 2009 there was an article in one of our papers, either the Record or the Evening Times about him being eligible. He was at Portsmouth then.

Can not remember Matt Ritchie, but there was a report at the time linking us with 3/4 players from England that Burley had uncovered as eligible for Scotland, sure there was 2 boys at Pymouth Argyil who were eligible for us (one of them was Jamie Mackie).

In fact it took a whole 30 seconds on Google to find an article about when we scouted him 5 years ago

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/scotland-manager-defends-courting-players-from-south-of-the-border-1-818690

Good find, but my point still stands. Although he might have been on the books at Portsmouth, at the time he was part way through a three year spell playing at League 2 sides. He wouldn't have been a realistic option at that point.

In fact it took a whole 30 seconds on Google to find an article about when we scouted him 5 years ago

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/scotland-manager-defends-courting-players-from-south-of-the-border-1-818690

Well done and point proven!

Ritchie has shown he is a good addition to the squad and will probably remain a PL player regardless of Bournemouth's status after his displays in recent times.

Well done and point proven!

Ritchie has shown he is a good addition to the squad and will probably remain a PL player regardless of Bournemouth's status after his displays in recent times.

Absolutely, I'm a big fan of Ritchie and he's one of the players in the Premiership who has really enhanced his reputation this season.

Lets not forget that there were plenty on here slagging him off on here when he was first called up.

Absolutely, I'm a big fan of Ritchie and he's one of the players in the Premiership who has really enhanced his reputation this season.

Lets not forget that there were plenty on here slagging him off on here when he was first called up.

Yeah true. It's nice that some of these "eligibles" prove their worth and show real passion.

People are too quick to assume players born in Scotland are passionate about playing for the national side and give their all - Which sadly is not always the case. Which is unbelievable.

Hoping that another 'does he feel Scottish, get him to tick a box' debate doesn't spark up :wink2:

Probably because he was shite

Was he? Shite to very good in a short space of time.

Miraculous turnaround....

Pretty sure he was in great form for a team on their way to getting EPL promotion when he was first called up

He was indeed but a lot of people just wrote him off because he only played for Bournemouth. In much the same way that Ryan Fraser was being ridiculed by many when he signed for them.

Was he? Shite to very good in a short space of time.

Miraculous turnaround....

Pretty sure he was in great form for a team on their way to getting EPL promotion when he was first called up

I'm unconvinced by him. He's far too slow, and can't beat a man. He has a good left foot although has he ever crossed a ball for us? I'd hope to see Ryan Fraser, Snodgrass and Forrest challenge for his position.

Ritchie has been pretty poor for us so far. He gives the ball away far too much and he isn't very fast.

He looks a lot lot quicker playing for Bournemouth. I wonder if he has to check himself playing for Scotland as Hutton goes forward so much.