Rangers are Rocking; Scottys Financial insight inside. - Page 92 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Rangers are Rocking; Scottys Financial insight inside.

Speirs  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Was Speirs talking the truth or lying

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

Larky for the year ended June 2014 it is a good news story for the club. They have manipulated a profitable result despite no Derbys and yes, the lack of rangers games. Why focus purely on the bad news? Is it that you want to?

I thought I was a cynical, negative, miserable, down in the dumps c*nt.

But I've got nothing on him.

Shed - Yer wasting yer breath - They're 'Green' with envy - You are not going to change that mucker!

well I just dont get the pessimism. TBH I dont really care how my club makes money. would be great if it was an operating profit but either way i'll take it. makes a change form being £7m in debt and staring into the abyss.

A debt free Rangers is worth around £120million on paper.

I can't believe that - it's probably based on paper prices for Ibrox and the Training ground that are completely unrealistic and would never be achievable. The training ground can't be sold for housing and flats in Ibrox would never be worth the kinds of values that are tossed about for it.

Not at all. United invested hundreds of thousands in their youth system when others were spunking money on wages and transfer fees. Sure, the dividends come sporadically but there's planning involved. Seems to be working quite well.

Working well when you've posted a loss in 9 of the last 11 years?

Given you'd struggle to give lesson in tying laces and quite comfortable with what I stated and subsequent posts would suggest I'm right.

Want to try that again? Using proper sentences?

Working well when you've posted a loss in 9 of the last 11 years?

Not sure that works Larky. we have posted a profit in 4 of the last 5 years. I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you simply misread the below statement:

Dundee United’s Annual Accounts for the period to June 2014 reveal a net profit of £1.218m for the year, an increase of some £900k on the prior year and the fourth time the Club has reported a profit in the last five years. This represents a significant improvement when compared to the previous 12 years, a period when the Club recorded only one profitable year.

This year’s figures include an exceptional gain relating to the exit of banking arrangements with the Bank of Scotland. Two player transfers were transacted subsequent to the end of the financial year and the profits arising from these sales will be recognised in the financial statements for the year to June 2015, ensuring a further profit in that period.

The profit for 2014 was underpinned by a 3% increase in revenues to £5.6m, reflecting improvements in league placing and Scottish Cup income, both of which helped to counter the loss of European participation and the commercial benefits of the Dundee derby matches evident in the prior year figures.

Before the application of exceptional items, the accounts reveal that the Club made a gross profit of £991k (2013: £817k) and an operating loss of £114k (2013: £100k) after administrative and other expenses. Interest payments were reduced from £174k to £110k while wages increased to £3.5m from £3.3m, largely due to improved performance payments. As a result of the latter, the wages to turnover ratio increased slightly to 63% from 61%.

Chairman Stephen Thompson said, “While pleased to report significant profitability again, the Directors recognise that this most recent financial performance was made possible by the arrangements put in place to buy out the bank debt.

“Looking ahead, we expect to record a further profit in the current year as a result of effective player trading, which is an integral part of our strategy to identify, develop and manage young players and provide them with the best opportunities to succeed within the Club and the football sector generally. This aims to achieve footballing success for Dundee United and the opportunity for players to improve and, where appropriate, enhance their earnings elsewhere.

“While this mutually beneficial strategy has resulted in a significant increase in trading income and contributes greatly to profitability going forward, we must also ensure that operating costs are kept under strict control. However, we must also strike a balance between managing costs and delivering a team capable of competing at the highest level in Scottish football and in these respects we consider the period to June 2014 a success”.

The Club is currently re-investing a significant part of the profit made in the year to the redevelopment of its Gussie Park community facilities opposite Tannadice. The key feature of this will be a new full size FIFA 2* rated 3G synthetic pitch which will form the centre piece for the Club’s Academy coaching and its wider community activity. It is expected that the new facility will be open in March 2015.

Not sure that works Larky. we have posted a profit in 4 of the last 5 years. I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you simply misread the below statement:

Dundee United’s Annual Accounts for the period to June 2014 reveal a net profit of £1.218m for the year, an increase of some £900k on the prior year and the fourth time the Club has reported a profit in the last five years. This represents a significant improvement when compared to the previous 12 years, a period when the Club recorded only one profitable year.

This year’s figures include an exceptional gain relating to the exit of banking arrangements with the Bank of Scotland. Two player transfers were transacted subsequent to the end of the financial year and the profits arising from these sales will be recognised in the financial statements for the year to June 2015, ensuring a further profit in that period.

The profit for 2014 was underpinned by a 3% increase in revenues to £5.6m, reflecting improvements in league placing and Scottish Cup income, both of which helped to counter the loss of European participation and the commercial benefits of the Dundee derby matches evident in the prior year figures.

Before the application of exceptional items, the accounts reveal that the Club made a gross profit of £991k (2013: £817k) and an operating loss of £114k (2013: £100k) after administrative and other expenses. Interest payments were reduced from £174k to £110k while wages increased to £3.5m from £3.3m, largely due to improved performance payments. As a result of the latter, the wages to turnover ratio increased slightly to 63% from 61%.

Chairman Stephen Thompson said, “While pleased to report significant profitability again, the Directors recognise that this most recent financial performance was made possible by the arrangements put in place to buy out the bank debt.

“Looking ahead, we expect to record a further profit in the current year as a result of effective player trading, which is an integral part of our strategy to identify, develop and manage young players and provide them with the best opportunities to succeed within the Club and the football sector generally. This aims to achieve footballing success for Dundee United and the opportunity for players to improve and, where appropriate, enhance their earnings elsewhere.

“While this mutually beneficial strategy has resulted in a significant increase in trading income and contributes greatly to profitability going forward, we must also ensure that operating costs are kept under strict control. However, we must also strike a balance between managing costs and delivering a team capable of competing at the highest level in Scottish football and in these respects we consider the period to June 2014 a success”.

The Club is currently re-investing a significant part of the profit made in the year to the redevelopment of its Gussie Park community facilities opposite Tannadice. The key feature of this will be a new full size FIFA 2* rated 3G synthetic pitch which will form the centre piece for the Club’s Academy coaching and its wider community activity. It is expected that the new facility will be open in March 2015.

From Dundee United's 2014 results press release

"Dundee United’s Annual Accounts for the period to June 2014 reveal a net profit of £1.218m for the year, an increase of some £900k on the prior year and the fourth time the Club has reported a profit in the last five years. This represents a significant improvement when compared to the previous 12 years, a period when the Club recorded only one profitable year."

Given you'd struggle to give lesson in tying laces and quite comfortable with what I stated and subsequent posts would suggest I'm right.

Not sure entirely what this is meant to mean due to the poor quality of the grammar.

Not it was a mistake it should have been 2 in 12.

From Dundee United's 2014 results press release

"Dundee United’s Annual Accounts for the period to June 2014 reveal a net profit of £1.218m for the year, an increase of some £900k on the prior year and the fourth time the Club has reported a profit in the last five years. This represents a significant improvement when compared to the previous 12 years, a period when the Club recorded only one profitable year."

Are you deliberately tryig to confuse me larky? Fourth profit in last 5 years compared with previous 1 profit in 12. how does that equal 2 in 12. surely its 5 in 17? and as i say the fourth in the last 5 years.

how does that equal "a loss in 9 of the last 11 years" ? its a loss of 1 in the last 5 years as the statement says.