Rangers are Rocking; Scottys Financial insight inside. - Page 132 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Rangers are Rocking; Scottys Financial insight inside.

Speirs  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Was Speirs talking the truth or lying

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

Mr Roar

The United Nations define the State we live in as the United Kingdom of Great Britain and northern Ireland and dependent territories....

The United Kingdom Is further described as consisting of the Country of England, the Country of Scotland , the Principality of Wales and The province of Northern Ireland.

You will forgive me for using the United Nations as a source of Information over your opinion. :ok:

you can get into any word game you like but a region we are. If we were a member of the UN then we'd be a country.

you can get into any word game you like but a region we are. If we were a member of the UN then we'd be a country.

It doesn't work like that as there are countries that exist that aren't in the UN.

Just because countries exist within a larger body (think the Soviet Union or the EU) doesn't mean that they cease being countries.

If you are looking for a general rule of thumb then I'd say that a team playing in World Cup qualifying would be from it's own country.

Out of interest, where does the UN say this? It seems strange to mix the broad term ('country') with more specifically political terms such as 'principality' and 'province' ('kingdom' would seem closer to the lexical field). I think most people would view Wales as a country. None of which means the UN could not have come up with such a daft definition (although I assume they would base such definitions on how member states wish to be defined).

when the united nations was set up in 1946? this is how the UK was described, it has not been amended,..

That is the Legal position,

Calling the UK a country is the same as calling the EU a country , the EU is a big political union, the UK is a wee political Union. Neither are countries.

That's why Scotland can have an Independence referendum and Shetland/Cornwall cant,,, I don't know about Wales, Legally they were incorporated into England around 1703, under Henry 7th's rule, but sometimes political reality takes over from Legality...

when the united nations was set up in 1946? this is how the UK was described, it has not been amended,..

Calling the UK a country is the same as calling the EU a country , the EU is a big political union, the UK is a wee political Union. Neither are countries.

That's why Scotland can have an Independence referendum and Shetland/Cornwall cant,,, I don't know about Wales, Legally they were incorporated into England around 1703, under Henry 7th's rule, but sometimes political reality takes over from Legality...

meant 1503...

Westminster could grant an independence referendum to any arbitrary unit of the UK that it chose - it's nowt to do with how the UN defines the state.

Still, I'd be interested to see a link to the UN document where England and Scotland are referred to as 'countries' while Wales is designated a 'principality'. As I said, I'd find it strange, but I'm perfectly willing to believe it - I just haven't been able to track down the source.

It doesn't work like that as there are countries that exist that aren't in the UN.

Just because countries exist within a larger body (think the Soviet Union or the EU) doesn't mean that they cease being countries.

If you are looking for a general rule of thumb then I'd say that a team playing in World Cup qualifying would be from it's own country.

So Kosovo isn't a country then?

But Wales is despite not actually being one?

I don't think this works as a definition.

Westminster could grant an independence referendum to any arbitrary unit of the UK that it chose - it's nowt to do with how the UN defines the state.

Still, I'd be interested to see a link to the UN document where England and Scotland are referred to as 'countries' while Wales is designated a 'principality'. As I said, I'd find it strange, but I'm perfectly willing to believe it - I just haven't been able to track down the source.

you know what its like,, old school, I read it a few years ago, it might have been in a book or in the paper, was before the internet, the source was reliable ,It might have been a BBC programme, and that's what I have always accepted. I have never found anything to say otherwise, it was in the articles that set up the UN. A country and a nation state had to be defined and that is how they defined the UK.

It still sounds logical today. IMO, so , sorry I cant link you a link.

The Cornwall thing is slightly different, as of course any state can grant a constituent part a referendum, but Scotland , as a Country had the right to have one without Permission, , Westminster Legally could not stop it.

In Catalonia, it can be stopped, because by the UN definition, Catalonia has never been a country, Spain is the Country and as such only Spain has the right to grant this...

The USSR was a Union and the constituent parts voted for Independence, and Yugoslavia was a Union of sorts , Slovenia,Croatia, Serbia etc,, But Kosovo is a sort of Cornwall situation.

I am sure if there was a majority of Plaid Cymru in Wales and they wanted a Referendum, I am sure Westminster would allow it...

But Westminster has granted NI the right to have one,

So Kosovo isn't a country then?

But Wales is despite not actually being one?

I don't think this works as a definition.

There won't be a perfect definition due to war, political struggles, etc. (which is why I said 'general rule of thumb').

Having a National anthem, your own money, National borders, a distinct culture/language, a National 'dress', a National instrument, unique National law, sports teams/athletes that represent you internationally, etc. are also pretty good indications that you have your own country.

(Kosovo has only been trying to get established since 2008. I would call Wales a country, but I understand that they officially aren't.)

Edited by Scotty CTA

1600 shareholders have confirmed their wish to attend the EGM :wink2: :wink2: :wink2:

https://www.change.org/p/wh-ireland-confirm-a-suitable-venue-for-the-general-meeting-of-rifc-has-been-selected

2000 attended the AGM at Ibrox. The hotel is notified every time a shareholder confirms they will be there.

Edited by EddardStark

1600 shareholders have confirmed their wish to attend the EGM :wink2: :wink2: :wink2:

https://www.change.org/p/wh-ireland-confirm-a-suitable-venue-for-the-general-meeting-of-rifc-has-been-selected

2000 attended the AGM at Ibrox. The hotel is notified every time a shareholder confirms they will be there.

Has anyone contacted Mega bus ... they may need a few more coaches.. :oops: