Epl Tv Rights - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Epl Tv Rights

You mean like going to real matches with real players & stuff? :blink:

I remember being in a pub a few years ago in Birkenhead before an away match at Tranmere Rovers. The pub was bang across the road from Prenton Park. Liverpool were on the TV, & when the game finished the pub near enough emptied with everyone turning away from the ground.

Said it all for me & I think football in England at anything below the top 25 or so teams is now in big trouble. Ticket prices probably won't come down & smaller clubs are just a laughing stock at the hands of people who have hardly ever walked through a turnstile in their lives while Sky pay millions to televise games that people living round the corner from the ground can't afford to get in to watch.

In so many ways the whole thing is just fundamentally obscene.

No not exactly , although i agree with your comments as to going along and watching your local team or game.

You can get the games through other "box's" and the internet if you know where to go

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember being in a pub a few years ago in Birkenhead before an away match at Tranmere Rovers. The pub was bang across the road from Prenton Park. Liverpool were on the TV, & when the game finished the pub near enough emptied with everyone turning away from the ground.

Said it all for me & I think football in England at anything below the top 25 or so teams is now in big trouble. Ticket prices probably won't come down & smaller clubs are just a laughing stock at the hands of people who have hardly ever walked through a turnstile in their lives while Sky pay millions to televise games that people living round the corner from the ground can't afford to get in to watch.

You're spot on. Lower league teams in England are going to be in big trouble. Attendances will dwindle as more and more "fans" grow up supporting a team through Sky Sports.

We get it up here. My ex's wee sister "supports" Man Utd, for example. She comes from fecking Fife, how can you support Man Utd?!?!

I'm pretty comfortable to say that if you pay for Sky Sports you are responsible for the decline of Scottish football.

You're spot on. Lower league teams in England are going to be in big trouble. Attendances will dwindle as more and more "fans" grow up supporting a team through Sky Sports.

We get it up here. My ex's wee sister "supports" Man Utd, for example. She comes from fecking Fife, how can you support Man Utd?!?!

I'm pretty comfortable to say that if you pay for Sky Sports you are responsible for the decline of Scottish football.

this is the problem. the deal could maybe be tolerated if the revenue could be fed down throughout the game but the greed at the top end takes care of that.

Just buy a Droidbox and get it all on there if your internet is half decent

My box has been delivered today, away to play about with it this evening.

I have Virgin Media and dont think its worth the money, looking forward to cancelling it very soon.

A very good point. Not that it is his local team, but I'm determined to bring my boys up Hibs fans.

I know, child abuse, social services, etc. But for me it's more than my team, it's a connection to and with my wider family back in Edinburgh. It's one of the few areas that brings us all together.

And I believe it instills character. If you get everything on a plate (Man U, Man City, chelsea, arsenal) then you do not apricate somthing when you do get it. You learn more from your knock backs compared to your victories.

J

The £5b is for domestic TV rights. The global rights package is still to be settled, I've heard figures of upwards of £3b quoted for that too. It's a house of cards if ever there was, any number of clubs being encouraged to spend money that, fundamentally, they can't afford. Folk enjoy the product though, and are prepared to pay for it. Good luck to them while it lasts. I enjoyed hearing Scudamore being torn a new one on Today this morning trying to defend the sums involved, although when he banks his bonus can't see he will really care that much. I got rid of Sky about 5 years ago, having had pretty much the full bhuna sport package for years before that. Gradually realised (with some help from my wife I'll admit) that, having sat through an hour or so of hysterical, breathless hype, I didn't watch beyond the first 15 minutes of most matches, found myself reading the paper and looking up whenever anything vaguely interesting happened, which usually isn't that often. In the process of having BT Broadband installed through my job (not ideal, but doesn't cost me anything) and will get BT Sport. Might watch some EPL games on that, though I doubt it. Incidentally, anyone hoping that these TV deals will somehow lead to a reduction in ticket prices is deluding themselves.

And I believe it instills character. If you get everything on a plate (Man U, Man City, chelsea, arsenal) then you do not apricate somthing when you do get it. You learn more from your knock backs compared to your victories.

J

I must have one bloody amazing character by now.

Totally agree.

Who would everyones current local team be?

Mine would currently be Falkirk as I stay in Maddiston.

I also support my local team being born and brought up in abbyhill in Edinburgh.

Rangers. If I supported my local team where I grew up it would have been St Mirren.

I'm pretty comfortable to say that if you pay for Sky Sports you are (here) responsible for the decline of Scottish football.

I think you would need to add "indirectly" to take it from being comfortable to anywhere near accurate.

Just buy a Droidbox and get it all on there if your internet is half decent

It works, but no true HD or instant channel zapping. There's always the risk the stream will go down, too. IPTV will take over eventually, especially when all the card-sharing services are blocked by new encryption techiques.

Who would everyones current local team be?

Mine would currently be Falkirk as I stay in Maddiston.

I also support my local team being born and brought up in abbyhill in Edinburgh.

Born and brought up in Inverness so ICT is my team but my nearest team just now is Ross County.

Not to sure mate what's the best one to get only heard about the android box the other day he mentioned something about getting a preloaded box

I've only just looked at this thread, coincidentally I've just started a thread a bit back on the other stuff section! Seriously looking into this as I'm no longer prepared to pay 3 figures a month for sky...