Epl Tv Rights - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Epl Tv Rights

I think my team generate about £2.3 million in gate receipts per game so including a few cup games at home maybe about 50 million + champions league games whatever they are over the season, obviosley the bigger grounds generate a bit more.

In the new package the lowest EPL team will get 99 million and the champions 157 million.

Should wait for the ink to dry on the new contract then every footy fan should pull the plug on Sky would love to see Murdoch on his arse.

I know it won't happen but we can dream.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think my team generate about £2.3 million in gate receipts per game so including a few cup games at home maybe about 50 million + champions league games whatever they are over the season, obviosley the bigger grounds generate a bit more.

In the new package the lowest EPL team will get 99 million and the champions 157 million.

Should wait for the ink to dry on the new contract then every footy fan should pull the plug on Sky would love to see Murdoch on his arse.

That might work if real football fans had sky

this,would love to see that happen

one thing for sure the subscribers will pay for this deal by way of an increase,if that happens mines will get ditched

I've had sky for about 8 years now. I've had it half price for the past 4 i think. I'm willing to pay 40 quid a month for every sport, movie and entertainment channel in 2 rooms. I think thats a fair price for me and them.

If they didn't give me half price your talking 80 odd quid a month which I wouldn't pay.

I probably watch less football now than I did before. Total saturation and like others I rarely watch a full 90 or I watch it on sky on my laptop with something else on TV. I am getting more interested in the NFL too (although to be fair thats even more of a bloated money farm than the EPL).[/quote

How have you got that?!? 40quid for two boxes is amazing! I tried to bluff them into a reduction recently only to be told you can't get Virgin and BT are more expensive so crack on and cancel! I knew that but wasn't expecting them to! I'm over 100 notes a month and have kinda fallen outta love with the game for many reasons. Any increase and I'm out! Think a fair few will be of a similar mindset.

100 pounds a month. So you sound like a well off chap and a good example so let's assume you pay 33% taxes (very low assumption in the UK) on your pay packet. (e.g. take all deductions from your pay and divide by your gross pay = 33%?)

Ok so to pay for Sky on 50k a year you have to earn...

100 per month X 12 = 1200 divide by (100% - 33% in tax ) = Gross Pay before tax of 1,791 pounds.

So I do not not know what you earn people but if it was 50k a year Rupert Murdoch is taking 3.6% of your pre tax income.

If you earn a lot less than 50k a year and have SKY TV you are probably paying a Rupert Murdoch Tax in the double digits I would expect.

edit: jeezo i forgot you are also paying VAT for the Sky.

Edited by thplinth

I have free BT sport package with my virgin cable. I enjoy the spl games especially the ones on the friday night but would not pay for it.

Sky having the rights to the scotland home internationals does not bother me as I am at the game, but I do miss the BBC highlights package that has been dropped. :angry:

100 pounds a month. So you sound like a well off chap and a good example so let's assume you pay 33% taxes (very low assumption in the UK) on your pay packet. (e.g. take all deductions from your pay and divide by your gross pay = 33%?)

Ok so to pay for Sky on 50k a year you have to earn...

100 per month X 12 = 1200 divide by (100% - 33% in tax ) = Gross Pay before tax of 1,791 pounds.

So I do not not know what you earn people but if it was 50k a year Rupert Murdoch is taking 3.6% of your pre tax income.

If you earn a lot less than 50k a year and have SKY TV you are probably paying a Rupert Murdoch Tax in the double digits I would expect.

edit: jeezo i forgot you are also paying VAT for the Sky.

I'm really not that well off mate. Decent income that's all. That is a very enlighting way to look at it. A laptop cost a few hundred quid and streaming is legal in UK, only posting a link or promoting a site is illegal.

Sometime takes an outsider to look into your lunacies to take cognisance. And that is quite a point you make. Mr Murdoch will be losing most if not all of my payments to his firm. I really do appreciate that input. That's crazy figures and ones I really should've been aware of.

Yep flynnyboy this is how I realized it was insanity paying for Sky.

Not only that but for the price of sky every year, i.e. paying for mind rotting shit, you could take your family on an incredible holiday, anywhere, every ing year, real memories that would last for ever not 10 seconds after you switch that shite off.

Yep flynnyboy this is how I realized it was insanity paying for Sky.

Not only that but for the price of sky every year, i.e. paying for mind rotting shit, you could take your family on an incredible holiday, anywhere, every ing year, real memories that would last for ever not 10 seconds after you switch that shite off.

Again a really good point. Pretty much makes it a no brainer. Laptop it is! Anyone got any streaming site? ;) mind no post them publicly!! Very well made point. Certainly has hit home to me. Thanks man.

Good news for journeymen footballers who sign for a Premier League club - they'll be set up for life. It won't raise the standard of the game that much though and there'll still be three clubs each season who are given £90 million at the start of the season but still end up being relegated.

I've had sky for about 8 years now. I've had it half price for the past 4 i think. I'm willing to pay 40 quid a month for every sport, movie and entertainment channel in 2 rooms. I think thats a fair price for me and them.

If they didn't give me half price your talking 80 odd quid a month which I wouldn't pay.

I probably watch less football now than I did before. Total saturation and like others I rarely watch a full 90 or I watch it on sky on my laptop with something else on TV. I am getting more interested in the NFL too (although to be fair thats even more of a bloated money farm than the EPL).[/quote

How have you got that?!? 40quid for two boxes is amazing! I tried to bluff them into a reduction recently only to be told you can't get Virgin and BT are more expensive so crack on and cancel! I knew that but wasn't expecting them to! I'm over 100 notes a month and have kinda fallen outta love with the game for many reasons. Any increase and I'm out! Think a fair few will be of a similar mindset.

Just cancel it every year. Moan about how its a luxury you can't afford. They'll instantly offer you some crap deal on the phone. Turn it down. Your now in your months notice. Expect at least 2 call from sky during the month offering you better deals, hold out for 50% off as thats what they offer new customers, if they don't offer you keep declining. They'll either offer you an acceptable discount 40% or keep decline and they'll phone again else just let it cancel and sign up as a new customer, preferably in the missus name. Plenty new customer 50% deals about on various sites. They'll also bomabard you personally with rejoin at 50% off deals by post after your month runs out.

Finally don't fall for any deal involving broadband. You can get broadband free from talk talk and sky just want to keep you away from BT who will give you free BT sport for taking their broadband. Although your probably still cheaper doing talk talk free broadband and paying for BT sport (Ive taken BT sport out on a rolling month to month contract, cancelled twice this year and been given a free month each time. Deals are there to be had.

Sky have paid 70% more than their last bid. On top of this financial media analysts think they have been duped by the bidding process. Their fear of being outbid by BT and others led them to pay this ridiculous amount. Part of the bidding process was based on a blind auction. The result is BT have come off pretty well when you compare to their last bid.

All last night Sky where lining up their star chamber pundits such as Henry, Carragher and Neville to push to line about what an exciting deal this is. For myself I will be looking at dumping Sky and maybe retaining BT for the wider coverage of European and world football.

Gave up sky 3 years ago and don't miss it, I had BSB from day one [the square aerial] and through all those years sky never made me any offers.

Once i cancelled it they were on the phone 5 or 6 times during the first week with all types of offers !!!!!

There are alternatives to the sky package by the way !!!! :ok:

Want all the fitba' at £10 a month? Spin your satellite dish to 13-east HOTBIRD and pay for a Polish NC+ subscription.

Commentary won't be in English, but the coverage is superb.

Just buy a Droidbox and get it all on there if your internet is half decent

There are alternatives to the sky package by the way !!!! :ok:

You mean like going to real matches with real players & stuff? :blink:

I remember being in a pub a few years ago in Birkenhead before an away match at Tranmere Rovers. The pub was bang across the road from Prenton Park. Liverpool were on the TV, & when the game finished the pub near enough emptied with everyone turning away from the ground.

Said it all for me & I think football in England at anything below the top 25 or so teams is now in big trouble. Ticket prices probably won't come down & smaller clubs are just a laughing stock at the hands of people who have hardly ever walked through a turnstile in their lives while Sky pay millions to televise games that people living round the corner from the ground can't afford to get in to watch.

In so many ways the whole thing is just fundamentally obscene.