Ryan Gauld Sporting Home Debut - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Ryan Gauld Sporting Home Debut

@neaver82

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep it up Gauld lad ! Other young Scots should wake up and take notice.

I was interested to read recently about how Sporting make all their players in the first team and B teams go through two, sometimes even three coaching sessions a day. This is probably why we got those reports in October and November about Gauld "not being ready". Evidently he's now well used to them and it's done him the world of good.

Sorry under 21s but we need Gauld in the senior squad now !

Someone on here the other night claiming you don't get many goals from Gauldy!

That would be me. :wink2:

I will stand by that claim though as if you look at his stats I think he has now played 18 games at varying levels for Sporting and scored two goals (or perhaps that is prior to this match?). In that case it would be 19 games and 4 goals.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

That would be me. :wink2:

I will stand by that claim though as if you look at his stats I think he has now played 18 games at varying levels for Sporting and scored two goals (or perhaps that is prior to this match?). In that case it would be 19 games and 4 goals.

A pretty stupid statement if you ask me. Have a look at the stats for any player Gaulds age even the world greats like Messi or Ronaldo and you won't see a great many goals. He is learning and progressing as is any player that age.

I sent a random tweet with a Sporting Lisbon hashtag asking what their fans thought of him. Just got this one back:

"He's building his mark, but like a good scotch label it need some time. We are delighted" :-))

Got another that said:

"we don't call him mini Messi - we call him big Messi now"

Edited by ZoltanBuchan

A pretty stupid statement if you ask me. Have a look at the stats for any player Gaulds age even the world greats like Messi or Ronaldo and you won't see a great many goals. He is learning and progressing as is any player that age.

What is so silly about it?

Gauld is not a Ronaldo or a Messi as they are strikers and he is a midfielder. Of course he is learning and progressing but the type of player he is that doesn't mean he will learn and progress into becoming an out and out goalscorer.

Can we all just be happy for the lad! I thing Lisbon have been very clever, start him off in the B team to get him used to the situation and bring him in when they think he is ready. Ease him in and it looks to be paying dividends.

Can we all just be happy for the lad! I thing Lisbon have been very clever, start him off in the B team to get him used to the situation and bring him in when they think he is ready. Ease him in and it looks to be paying dividends.

Spot on. He is probably the most exciting talent to breakthrough for us in at least a generation and means we have a lot to look forward to. If he continues getting games for Sporting which looks more likely than not then can Strachan leave him out of the side for the next double header?

Spot on. He is probably the most exciting talent to breakthrough for us in at least a generation and means we have a lot to look forward to. If he continues getting games for Sporting which looks more likely than not then can Strachan leave him out of the side for the next double header?

Considering Strachan called him up when he'd only really played for the B team, I can't really see how he can ignore him. Obviously a lot can happen between now and Gibraltar i.e he may well be back in the B team for the rest of the season, through no fault of his own.

Either way, it seems inevitable that he is going to be in the Scotland team in the very near future, and that is where he will remain

The upcoming double header seems the ideal time to introduce him into the team. One is a friendly and the other is a team hardly meriting international status so even if he is played and has stinkers it shouldn't harm our qualification hopes at all. The question is who would you leave out?

lewis mcleaod or one of the fringe midfielders that strachan was talking about leaving out (i would guess burke, dorrans etc)

The upcoming double header seems the ideal time to introduce him into the team. One is a friendly and the other is a team hardly meriting international status so even if he is played and has stinkers it shouldn't harm our qualification hopes at all. The question is who would you leave out?

I would give him a full game against NI and keep Anya fresh for the Sunday, and bring him on as a sub for Anya after an hour in the Gib game.

United apparentlt due 800k when gauld makes first team debut.

He done that about 3 weeks ago...Played in the league cup. He's since played in the league and scored 2 in the league cup in midweek.