Ryan Gauld Sporting Home Debut - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Ryan Gauld Sporting Home Debut

@neaver82

If we can get him and Harper in and around the first team at their clubs, I still suspect we will see a wave off young Scottish players finally getting it that there is life outside the Premiership

For once (twice) it looks like the hype surrounding young players, Gauld and Harper, may be justified, going by recent reports.

Harper would likely take Fletcher's place and Gauld would have Naismith's. Which is a bold statement because they are 2 of our best players. They are, however, a decade younger, so no reason to think they won't be the long term replacements.

Edited by Tartan blood

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gauld more likely to take Maloneys.

Maloney has been playing on the right and Anya on the left. I know Gauld can play in either position but he's more effective through the middle, in Naismith's role.

I'd expect Snodgrass to be Maloney's replacement.

To be honest, it's not going to be long before we aren't able to accomodate for some of our best players. We are struggling as it is in most midfield positions. A good problem to have, mind you.

One thing I would warn people about Gauld (going by his brief career stats) people should realise he isn't the sort to weigh in with loads of goals.

Neither was Messi at the same age. Just saying. ;)

Stats before you are 20 are never going to be a reflection of future ability anyway.

To be honest, he doesn't need to score if he is an assist wizard

Maloney has been playing on the right and Anya on the left. I know Gauld can play in either position but he's more effective through the middle, in Naismith's role.

I'd expect Snodgrass to be Maloney's replacement.

To be honest, it's not going to be long before we aren't able to accomodate for some of our best players. We are struggling as it is in most midfield positions. A good problem to have, mind you.

As good a player Gauld is, he's miles away from dislodging Naismith.

We'd need to change system if we did too.

Developing well. His interview in 442 was very encouraging. Trying not to get over excited....

That's how I felt reading it. As well, as talking about the football culture suiting him more (could he have a word with Barry Bannan maybe?), he also talked about having the chance to learn a new language as part of the appeal of going abroad. Not a drawback - part of the appeal. It's hard to stay steady about a young player who ticks quite so many boxes, both on and off the field.

As long as Strachan doesn't forget him that's the main thing!

Young players should be encouraged to consider moving abroad, not told they risk being "forgotten about" if they do.

I don't think Gauld (or Harper) are in any danger there. We're not talking Maurice Ross, Robbie Winters or Charlie Miller here!

Believe you me if he ends up being half as good as he is being touted then a place will be found for him in the team.

If he ends up being half as good as he's being touted, the whole side will be built around him.

As good a player Gauld is, he's miles away from dislodging Naismith.

We'd need to change system if we did too.

Um, I wasn't meaning any time soon. Naismith is one of the first names on the team sheet.

Gauld, Harper and (maybe) Henderson are long term replacements for Fletcher, Naismith and Brown. All about the same age.

It's good to have these future players coming through so we can see that when our best players get too old we have players just as good, if not better, to slot in.

But anyway, no one in the squad is irreplaceable.

The only problem I see re playing for Scotland is fitting him into the team.

I reckon the closest player we've got at the moment to Gauld is Maloney, and it took Maloney and long time to establish himself.

I guess because he's not a winger, not a forward, and not a "box-to-box" midfielder.

Still, it's great news that he's made his league debut. Here's hoping everything goes well and he turns into the next iniesta!

I'd argue that Maloney didn't "establish" himself due to indifferent form in a Scotland top rather than his playing style.

Strachan said when he was appointed he wasn't going to get hung up on one particular formation, that formations were fluid throughout a match and that he'd play a system to get the best out of the players that were available to him.