Launch Of Pro-Independence Newspaper - Page 4 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Launch Of Pro-Independence Newspaper

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got mine in local Co op Around 1pm, good newspaper, a wee nit thin, no league tables in sports( although I think u have to pay for them) Thought this is a requirement , especially on a Monday.

Letters page etc to come tomorrow they say, a cartoon/ crossword etc also req,

I think they are just touching base tho.

Later on this afternoon I couldnae find it in asda, ( only went to opticians, dinnae shop there anymore) and couldnae find the paper, it was in a below the eye shelf, I soon moved it and covered the Hail and the Retard,

So, Sainsbury and TEsco claiming they knew hee-haw about it and therefore didn't order any.

Why are people buying their newspapers in a supermarket?

That's what your wee local newsagent shoppe is for.

'cause all the wee newsagents have been wiped out by 'Sainsburys Locals' and 'Tesco Metro' and other shite.

So after The Herald stabbed us in the back after the longest tease the people who own it now launch 'The Herald Let's Pretend We Are A Big Yes' to make back the money they are about to lose for being such two faced weasel shit gobbling whanks.

Oye let's subscribe.

What joy if it started to out sell the daily retard in the not so distant future.

Then I think you'll find the Labour Party squealing even louder.

It would still get little to no 'mainstream' acknowledgement or coverage.

The establishment will simply look upon it as an SNP newsletter.

I am quite well aware that this is more than likely a cynical ploy. They saw what happened to Sunday Herald sales. They didn't want to risk a daily in case it was a No vote and suspecting like every one else that we would all skulk away and go back in our box. However having seen the engagement continue they now think they are on to a winner with an identified gap in the market.

I buy it knowing this because I would be cutting off my nose to spite my face if I said no thanks we want the heavily stacked bias to continue. I would much prefer it to have come from a different place but this is the world we live in.

It would help make our own [stronger] establishment here in Scotland.

It may also temper the rabid anti SNP attacks from papers like the DR & hootsman as they may want to corner some of the nationalist market.

a cartoon/ crossword etc also req,

Needs sudoku in it before it gets my missus' approval.

First impressions, not a bad start but not as good as the "i" if you're comparing along the lines of quality newpaper in the 50p price bracket.

Certainly more of a read than the Evening Times for the same price right enough.

Needs

TV Section

Racing section - nothing extravagant just the day's cards would suffice (i'll even be their correspondent/tipster for free)

Crossword

Thplinth to buy after joining the SNP

That's sadly more than likely. A personal anecdote on a related matter...

Until May, I worked for a media monitoring company which produced a daily product entitled The Referendum Daily (which we'd somehow sold to both the Yes and No campaigns, as well as other interested parties, for example the CBI and Business for Scotland). It was basically a round-up of that day's referendum coverage across the various forms of the media (we gave it absolutely no editorial spin of our own, just tried to make it an accurate reflection of what was being written and portrayed), starting with newspapers, then down through websites, blogs and Twitter.

Now, while the likes of the Mail and Telegraph were regarded as mainstream 'independent' coverage, Newsnet Scotland was not, as it was apparently merely an outlet for Yes propaganda. This, I strongly suspect, will how the rest of the media will attempt to dismiss The National.

It would help make our own [stronger] establishment here in Scotland.

It may also temper the rabid anti SNP attacks from papers like the DR & hootsman as they may want to corner some of the nationalist market.

I think you could be right - on both points.

If the National is a success it might prompt some of the other titles to at least soften their stance on independence.

Well, at least the launch made it onto Scotland 2014. Mind you, Sarah Smith introduced it as "....Scotland got a new paper today, called, em, The Nation, oh actually it's called The National...".

Was this an accidental slip or a dismissive gesture towards the editor's choice of story?

It's most unusual for an experienced, professional journalist and broadcaster not to even know the title of the subject of her story......

Maybe that's a guide to how the mainstream media will acknowledge it?

Well, at least the launch made it onto Scotland 2014. Mind you, Sarah Smith introduced it as "....Scotland got a new paper today, called, em, The Nation, oh actually it's called The National...".

Was this an accidental slip or a dismissive gesture towards the editor's choice of story?

It's most unusual for an experienced, professional journalist and broadcaster not to even know the title of the subject of her story......

So, Sainsbury and TEsco claiming they knew hee-haw about it and therefore didn't order any.

Why are people buying their newspapers in a supermarket?

That's what your wee local newsagent shoppe is for.

Morrisons said they had no room for it and they`d have to move other newspapers out of the way :blink:

Sarah Smith....well remember who her late father was ! ( now he was a real and I would suggest respected politician however he could never be described as a nationalist).

I am quite well aware that this is more than likely a cynical ploy. They saw what happened to Sunday Herald sales. They didn't want to risk a daily in case it was a No vote and suspecting like every one else that we would all skulk away and go back in our box. However having seen the engagement continue they now think they are on to a winner with an identified gap in the market.

I buy it knowing this because I would be cutting off my nose to spite my face if I said no thanks we want the heavily stacked bias to continue. I would much prefer it to have come from a different place but this is the world we live in.

My feeling too. I've always said we needed a daily paper and although it's too little too late I'll still take it and hope for 'next time'.

I was bought it today and told only 7 copies were sent to each newsagent. (That was in Clydebank.)