Launch Of Pro-Independence Newspaper - Page 5 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Launch Of Pro-Independence Newspaper

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's sadly more than likely. A personal anecdote on a related matter...

Until May, I worked for a media monitoring company which produced a daily product entitled The Referendum Daily (which we'd somehow sold to both the Yes and No campaigns, as well as other interested parties, for example the CBI and Business for Scotland). It was basically a round-up of that day's referendum coverage across the various forms of the media (we gave it absolutely no editorial spin of our own, just tried to make it an accurate reflection of what was being written and portrayed), starting with newspapers, then down through websites, blogs and Twitter.

Now, while the likes of the Mail and Telegraph were regarded as mainstream 'independent' coverage, Newsnet Scotland was not, as it was apparently merely an outlet for Yes propaganda. This, I strongly suspect, will how the rest of the media will attempt to dismiss The National.

It maks no sense to me. Everyone knows and accepts every newspaper takes a political position. Everyone knows the Daily Mail and the Telegraph spout Tory propaganda and the Daily Record Labour but these are accepted so why i it only unacceptable when the issue is independence which shouldn't eveb be party political imo

the Facebook site "united against separation" went into meltdown over this. A series of posts attacked the newspaper for supporting independence and accused the government of being biased and lacking impartiality. Their anger is tremendous to read. They are an unhinged group of people...

Edited by ronaldhinos dentist

Went into newsagents today insouth edinburgh to get a copy and couldn't see any on the shelves. Was about to get pissed off and then realised the boy had a pile of about 15 sitting right on the counter!

Decent read - not too heavy but not frivolous either. Liked the content - hope it succeeds.

I live in rural Dumfries and Galloway, which is full of Tory farmers,auldies waiting to clock it, English interloupers who have retired and moved here for the healthcare and house prices, and lots of empty second homes owned by folk from down south. The chances of the National being sold is probably nil.....

Well, at least the launch made it onto Scotland 2014. Mind you, Sarah Smith introduced it as "....Scotland got a new paper today, called, em, The Nation, oh actually it's called The National...".

Was this an accidental slip or a dismissive gesture towards the editor's choice of story?

It's most unusual for an experienced, professional journalist and broadcaster not to even know the title of the subject of her story......

Maybe that's a guide to how the mainstream media will acknowledge it?

Yeah there was an interesting difference in the reporting of this on Scotland Tonight (10 minute feature/ discussion) and Scotland 2014 (about 30 seconds at the end including the failure to name the paper correctly)...

Edited by Toepoke

You can hardly blame the supermarche for not bothering.

Space by the front door is at a premium and to have to shift everything around for a paper that's currently only planning to be out for a week (not to mention the short notice given) seems like a lot of effort for very little return.

If it (or any other new paper), goes into full production and people want to buy it, all the supermarche will be stocking it.

Space by the front door is at a premium and to have to shift everything around for a paper that's currently only planning to be out for a week (not to mention the short notice given) seems like a lot of effort for very little return.

If it (or any other new paper), goes into full production and people want to buy it, all the supermarche will be stocking it.

You got predictive text in French there?

Take a look at the newspaper stand in any supermarket and I am pretty sure in the vast majority of cases you will find there is room. There certainly is in all the supermarkets I have ever been in and there were loads of empty spaces in my Morrisons stand - no rejigging was required.

This was an excuse they came up with on the hop they could at least have been honest like Tesco