Launch Of Pro-Independence Newspaper - Page 7 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Launch Of Pro-Independence Newspaper

"according to unofficial industry estimates." What does that mean?

And, that number doesn't take into account the online sales.

Pretty sloppy reporting but as long as they can get a negative headline out of it, that's all that matters.

What is the Guardian's corculation in Scotland?

36K will probably make it the 3rd biggest daily in Scotland after The Record and The Sun...

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got so sickened by newspapers I stopped buying them.

I think the National is a good read.

Unfortunately, I'm now too used to getting news on-line so the National will remain only an occasional purchase.

There are probably many many like me - who bought it initially but wont get back into buying a paper regularly.

I think for the National to succeed the content needs to attract regular readers off other titles. Perversely, It seems more likely that the Herald would lose sales to the National rather than the tabloids.

I got so sickened by newspapers I stopped buying them.

I think the National is a good read.

Unfortunately, I'm now too used to getting news on-line so the National will remain only an occasional purchase.

You can buy the online version

I have to make an effort each day to buy it as I'm not normally in a shop. Hope people like me continue buying it or sales will drop and it could discontinue which would be a blow for the cause as a whole. I haven't even read the past few days copies. Just bought one and thrown it in the back of my car.

• 1 month later...

So basically the circulation has dropped to the level they initially expected anyway. However, since it is a pro-independence title the establishment press report this story which isn't really a story with a negative slant.

Edited by scotlad

The Herald and the folk who own them are in no way friends of the independence movement. They pretendy courted it to boost readership and in the end only offered a token of support by making the Sunday version Yes, a cynical money making gesture while all the while getting ready to drop the No just before the vote. I despise them as much as the Daily Record, I really do.

All newspapers are distrust worthy scum, they are judas whores, it is really time to starve them off money.

If something new and truly independent surfaces fine until then go yourselves. The National... Boak.

The Herald and the folk who own them are in no way friends of the independence movement. They pretendy courted it to boost readership and in the end only offered a token of support by making the Sunday version Yes, a cynical money making gesture while all the while getting ready to drop the No just before the vote. I despise them as much as the Daily Record, I really do.

All newspapers are distrust worthy scum, they are judas whores, it is really time to starve them off money.

If something new and truly independent surfaces fine until then go yourselves. The National... Boak.

Fair enough but you can't deny that papers still have a powerful influence upon many people. Headlines impact on people at all sorts of levels. Some/most of these rags tell a great big lie (eg the Vow) and people who read the damn things swallow it cos its in the paper and so it must be true. When every single headline is repeating that lie and there's no alternative voices then it becomes 'truth'. The papers themselves also generate the news as on TV and radio they get discussed and they set the agenda - the National may not be perfect but it's better than having no alternative voices at all.

The Sunday Herald's readership is more than The Herald's. They have two different editors - one who sided with Yes and already had a number of Yes leaning columnists - Bell, McWhirter. The other editor was more neutral, possibly No leaning. Your argument and use of tokenism and "scum" is bizarre.

Ive bought it every day but i think it is now ripping it a bit

For your 50p -

No football results from night before apart from selected games

No football fixtures for that evening

STILL no TV listings

No racecards - not important but still how hard would it be

Crossword is compiled by Sheldon Lee Cooper

If it does not improve im moving on - and i have advised them of my gripes

Since this post nothing has changed

So it's either downright snobbery and you'll only get what we put in it or deliberately trying to get it to fail

Maybe there just isn't the appetite for independence in Scotland. People are comfortable with their mediocrity and comfortable things like the record or the scotsman, leave them to it. They are the silent majority after all.

Edited by thewelk

They are adding senior staff with the likes of assistant editor and are advertising for a sports editor just now. I still buy it 2 or 3 times a week and enjoy it although it needs padded out as many people have said. I'm sure they would welcome letters or sensible articles. It does provide a vital balance to the establishment line.

Or doing what they can with limited resources?

If you want to compete with The Sun and The Record then you have to at least offer what people buy those papers for.

They must have made a right few bob in the first couple of months at 50p a pop

They need to get more advertising revenues and at least try and tackle the issues i mentioned (obviously apart from the racing)

I know some people might not find it important AND we should be watching less TV however a daily newspaper still not having a TV page after being out 3 months is poor

You need to appeal to the masses and It is trying to be far too highbrow

Newspapers are dead. We trusted them (for a long time) to be the 4th estate and they sold us down the river. We do not need these archaic corrupt arseholes anymore. Send them to the bottom by not giving them a penny.

edit: the way TV companies are restricted around elections but newspapers get to do what they want is also very telling. "The Vow", "Would the last person in Britain Switch off the lights" type pish is always up their sleeve when they really need it.

Edited by thplinth