Launch Of Pro-Independence Newspaper - Page 8 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Launch Of Pro-Independence Newspaper

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get the National occasionally to try and support it, but it's not much cop tbh. I'd like to see a lot more critical analysis (there are occasions where it reads like the SNP house paper), but hopefully as time goes on it'll improve as it becomes a more sustainable business proposition.

No doubt someone will say 'but all the other papers are like the house rag of party X' but we're trying to prove things can be different, so just parotting what the other parties do with a different position is playing into their hands.

I get the National occasionally to try and support it, but it's not much cop tbh. I'd like to see a lot more critical analysis (there are occasions where it reads like the SNP house paper), but hopefully as time goes on it'll improve as it becomes a more sustainable business proposition.

No doubt someone will say 'but all the other papers are like the house rag of party X' but we're trying to prove things can be different, so just parotting what the other parties do with a different position is playing into their hands.

Of course the trick the other papers pull off is to give the impression they are telling things straight, and reflect a range of opinions, although ultimately leaning towards left/right/unionism etc. But 'nationalists' still read them for a source of info on 'neutral' topics and to get a flavour of the debate. What do other Scots think? You can read the Herald and find out. So the paper is reaching nationalists while framing the debate its own way

But is the National reaching any unionists or undecideds?

If you were a would-be pro-indy media mogul you might be better buying an ailing unionist title and subtly reframe the debate for an existing broad readership and pursue independent journalism (which could itself help reframe the debate).

Edited by exile

• 1 month later...

To be honest, it is hugely important they are critical of the SNP. If it's to serve a purpose at the next independence referendum, it needs credibility and it does that by holding the SNP to account. If it does that, it makes it harder to ignore when the referendum does come around. I'm happy to give it some freedom in the short term as it needs to get some critical mass. That is difficult in a market where people either dont buy papers or are unlikely to leave their established rivals, but they need to flesh it out, get senior staff on board and start getting itself respected. I have no problem with them being critical of the SNP because they have a unique opportunity to start digging properly on Labour, and that is a relatively untapped resource right there.

I want to read news and I want to pay for good journalism - I'm not getting that from the Scotsman, Daily Record et al so Im paying for The National in the short term. It's up to them to keep my custom.

The National, to its credit, is by no means an SNP propaganda pamphlet. It has run several articles which challenge current Scottish Government policy and has regular columnists who have no affiliation to the SNP, like Patrick Harvie and Carloyn Leckie.

I buy it fairly frequently and you get pretty good news and foreign affairs coverage for your 50p. Its sports section still needs improvement, however, and its current content is unlikely to win over anyone who isn't already interested in politics.

Also, its letters page has, at times, led to me ponder that perhaps the number of utter loonballs who support Scottish independence is quite a bit higher than I had first imagined (I should probably have deduced that long ago, thanks to the amount of time I spend on this forum and Twitter, but I do tend to be a bit slow on the uptake).

Also, its letters page has, at times, led to me ponder that perhaps the number of utter loonballs who support Scottish independence is quite a bit higher than I had first imagined (I should probably have deduced that long ago, thanks to the amount of time I spend on this forum and Twitter, but I do tend to be a bit slow on the uptake).

An unsettling amount.