What A Difference A Manager Makes... - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

What A Difference A Manager Makes...

Bzzzz

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Levein is and was a loser. A man who's won nothing as a manager and never will. A shitebag, a David Moyes type who'll get average results and self-promote so some folk get convinced that he's a really good manager.

Great to now have a manager who gives our players confidence to play their natural game and, subsrquently, gets the best from them. :ok:

The thing that aggravated me the most is when we'd get a bad result against a team we were capable of beating, and people saying "we just don't have the players" or "we just have to accept we are shitt".

We destroyed our momentum and our coefficient under burley, terrible choice for a manager when we had our best qualifying group in years. Then Levein. Seriously a horrendous episode, which almost sapped away all of my enthusiasm for watching Scotland.

But feck it, better late than never. Wee Strachan has given us real hope, and a team that plays with passion and style. Capable of scoring goals away from home too.

If we had a decent centre half we would be dynamite haha.

What is great to see is how freely within a structured side our players are encouraged to play.

To go and try something,to make something happen in a match and be brave and positive.

Strachan has our lads well disciplined in a system that suits our players best and it's working well.

Thought everyone to a man was superb and gave us everything they had last night possibly Mulgrew and Robertson stand out but hard to single anyone out.

Got to say Tartan Army were superb throughout right behind the lads ,and even more so when needed just to give the lads that lift at those times in the game when Ireland did look slightly more dangerous.

In Gord we Trust!

I agree it's better look forward rather than behind, but Levein truly was shit.

Many knew he offered absolutely nothing as the Scotland coach after 5 games in charge. I can't believe so many folk wanted to give him another chance. Then we had the 90 minute Jocks like Proven, Nicholas who spout their opinion to be then trotted out by the sheep who watch football from TV to get an opinion telling us that we didn't have any good players, it's harder to qualify, he's doing the best with what he's got.

Not saying we'll qualify, but it's 100x more enjoyable watching Scotland now than what it was under Levein.

What is great to see is how freely within a structured side our players are encouraged to play.

To go and try something,to make something happen in a match and be brave and positive.

Strachan has our lads well disciplined in a system that suits our players best and it's working well.

Thought everyone to a man was superb and gave us everything they had last night possibly Mulgrew and Robertson stand out but hard to single anyone out.

Got to say Tartan Army were superb throughout right behind the lads ,and even more so when needed just to give the lads that lift at those times in the game when Ireland did look slightly more dangerous.

In Gord we Trust!

All true.

It is just proper football again. We don't kid ourselves on we are Brazil but we are playing to win no matter who they are. Defend in numbers, attack with real intent. Times we were under pressure times we had them on the rack... None of this defend defend defend get deeper and deeper and deeper until the inevitable goal pish, again and again..

Levein was beat in his head long before every game. Lichtenstein at home versus that game last night.

Was at the Belgium game the 2-0 game leviens last game so depressing at that time l remember a fan holding up a banner saying sos strachan and sos he has well sir

I remember seeing that too. Would love to have seen Levein's reaction to it :-))

Wonder if the guys responsible still have the banner ? It would be a neat little addition to the museum at Hampden.

After the failed Euro campaign they ran a poll on here and 72% voted for him to stay. I could not believe that at the time. A lot of people bought into the 'we are rubbish, it's no his fault' excuses.

To be fair the he was our old friend 'the media's' choice of course and we all know how they have our best interest at heart. (Yeah you especially Pat Nevin ya wee dikk.) They did their bit to make sure he was defended to the end on TV etc... Burley on the other hand was attacked from the get-go, I think in large part because they wanted their boy Levein in the job.

Levein is and was a loser. A man who's won nothing as a manager and never will. A shitebag, a David Moyes type who'll get average results and self-promote so some folk get convinced that he's a really good manager.

Great to now have a manager who gives our players confidence to play their natural game and, subsrquently, gets the best from them. :ok:

Fully agree with this.

Gordon makes some odd picks in his squad but it doesn't even matter when he gets the results and gives us nights like last night.

Genuinely believe we will be in France now, for the first time since France 98 I think it's more likely than not that weel be there

Fully agree with this.

Gordon makes some odd picks in his squad but it doesn't even matter when he gets the results and gives us nights like last night.

Genuinely believe we will be in France now, for the first time since France 98 I think it's more likely than not that weel be there

And almost more importantly won't play boring negative football if we do get there :ok:

Buzzing at the moment for the first time since euro 2008

I was one of those to say give LeveLevein more time after Euro campaign but after one game of the following campaign that was enough for me and was when I was saying he should be sacked.

I don't get the animosity towards people who just want someone to get given a chance. They weren't backing him out of support or love of him just that felt it was fair to give even him a chance. Whoopie Doo if you were right in calling for his head but I will bet you you have made mistakes in predictions etc in your time as well so quit the holier than though crap and enjoy the present.

Ah, the Jim Traynor mentality: talk down Scottish football and tell ourselves we can't compete or produce top players. Well, we all know what became of him.

I agree that all we needed was the right manager to get the best (or much better) out of the players. Same as at any club.

Major difference seems to be belief in the players.

Levein was a case of telling the players what they will do rather than what they can do, and that everything must go through Charlie Adam (friendlies under Levein when the pressure was off we played some good football, only for it to go out the window in qualifiers) Strachan on the other hand doesn't, he seems to just send Naismith, Morrison, Anya, Snodgrass and Maloney out and tell them to just do their thing.

Will we make France in 2016? I am still not fully confident, as I think we need to pick up something in Dublin and at home to Germany, but chances of doing that look better than they have at any point over the last decade.

Edited by wanderer

Major difference seems to be belief in the players.

Levein was a case of telling the players what they will do rather than what they can do, and that everything must go through Charlie Adam (friendlies under Levein when the pressure was off we played some good football, only for it to go out the window in qualifiers) Strachan on the other hand doesn't, he seems to just send Naismith, Morrison, Anya, Snodgrass and Maloney out and tell them to just do their thing.

Will we make France in 2016? I am still not fully confident, as I think we need to pick up something in Dublin and at home to Germany, but chances of doing that look better than they have at any point over the last decade.

We have horrible luck / bad decisions resulting in good mangers and difficult groups / bad managers and easier groups.

We have horrible luck / bad decisions resulting in good mangers and difficult groups / bad managers and easier groups.

Levein had the safety net of Spain being in our euro group, and getting a team like the Czech Republic, so finishing 3rd was bare minimum he need to do to keep his job.....

World Cup draw in July surely we are due a easy group at long last? LOL