DNA ethnicity - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Not had mine done but gonna do it. 

Mine will be a mixture of Italian, Scottish and Irish. My granddad was Italian (my grandad was born here but his siblings and parents born in Italy) and my gran's side were all from Ireland (my great grandad the north and my great gran the south).

Think my dad's side are Scottish though quite a few generations but we've an Irish surname so must come from Ireland at some point on my dad's side!

What are the recommended sites to do this on? Also how do they check and how far back does it go?

Never done this but always been in the back of my mind. I have one great grandmother who was Lithuanian (USSR at the time), going much further back likely English will pop up given my surname. Otherwise immediate generations all Scottish

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, N4Footsoldier said:

What are the recommended sites to do this on? Also how do they check and how far back does it go?

Never done this but always been in the back of my mind. I have one great grandmother who was Lithuanian (USSR at the time), going much further back likely English will pop up given my surname. Otherwise immediate generations all Scottish

Ancestry.co.uk... It has the largest database and you can upload your DNA info from Ancestry to other databases. You can't upload from other sites to Ancestry though. 

There are different parts to the results. There is ethnicity which goes back thousands of years and then your DNA matching to specific people which can go back a couple of hundred years. 

Edited by EddardStark

4 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Is this stuff fairly accurate and not like the ‘ put 3 strands of hair in a wee bag and we will sort out your gut problems ‘ websites which are pretty poor ? 

There is a huge difference between genetic sequencing and witchcraft. 

Did you forget to put the eye of toad and wing of bat into the wee bag?

While not totally bullshit, the results are fairly meaningless. There's examples of identical twins giving quite different results. The science just isn't there. Go back just a few generations and you have multiple lineages, each of those with multiple lineages. I would be very wary of parting cash for something like this.

2 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

There is a huge difference between genetic sequencing and witchcraft. 

Did you forget to put the eye of toad and wing of bat into the wee bag?

🤣

You will no be laughing when you find out you are 70 % McTidy . 

15 minutes ago, duncan II said:

While not totally bullshit, the results are fairly meaningless. There's examples of identical twins giving quite different results. The science just isn't there. Go back just a few generations and you have multiple lineages, each of those with multiple lineages. I would be very wary of parting cash for something like this.

To be honest the DNA matching is very useful in terms of family history stuff,  if you know what you are doing( I don't, my wife does). In terms of ethnicity then its a the results are consistently being refined and give a decent indication. 

14 hours ago, EddardStark said:

To be honest the DNA matching is very useful in terms of family history stuff,  if you know what you are doing( I don't, my wife does). In terms of ethnicity then its a the results are consistently being refined and give a decent indication. 

I'd second this. My brother took the test (saved me a job 😁) and while the results were pretty much as expected (68% Scottish Highlands, 27% Irish with a little bit of English and Scandinavian mixed in (our mum's grandpas were from Killarney in Ireland and Cornwall)), the links they gave to people you may be related to that have also done the test were surprising.

A couple of close relatives were mentioned to corroborate the findings, but also distant cousins I'd never heard of, with common names to the family that the people compiling the test would never have known.

Edited by Toepoke