Current cap numbers - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Current cap numbers

Rawlinho

Had a look at the squad from the last Euros and Robertson with 45 caps was the most capped outfield player we had. Croatia for example had 9 with 45 or more. Surely that's course for good optimism for June as Robertson, McGinn, Hanley, Christie, Armstrong, McGregor, McGinn and McTominay (potentially Tierney too if he plays the friendlies) will all have over 45.

My second point on caps is it's been 38 years since Dalglish got to 102 caps. Does anyone think any of the current crop will beat that? McGinn and Robertson both turning 30 this year but in the 60s for caps. I think it's possible but would need to be playing 8 or 9 games a year and staying injury free

10 hours ago, Rawlinho said:

Had a look at the squad from the last Euros and Robertson with 45 caps was the most capped outfield player we had. Croatia for example had 9 with 45 or more. Surely that's course for good optimism for June as Robertson, McGinn, Hanley, Christie, Armstrong, McGregor, McGinn and McTominay (potentially Tierney too if he plays the friendlies) will all have over 45.

My second point on caps is it's been 38 years since Dalglish got to 102 caps. Does anyone think any of the current crop will beat that? McGinn and Robertson both turning 30 this year but in the 60s for caps. I think it's possible but would need to be playing 8 or 9 games a year and staying injury free

Billy Gilmour is the one who could do it. He's only 22 and has 23 caps already. For anyone to get to 100 they need to be starting young. 

Would Robertson be on 70 caps yet if he had not been injured at the start of the season? I can't remember how many matches he missed. 

I guess he could get to 100 because he will get another 4 to 6 minimum from the warm up matches and the guaranteed 3 In the Euros. 

Once we win the Euros he could be on 75 😆 

4 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Billy Gilmour is the one who could do it. He's only 22 and has 23 caps already. For anyone to get to 100 they need to be starting young. 

Would Robertson be on 70 caps yet if he had not been injured at the start of the season? I can't remember how many matches he missed. 

I guess he could get to 100 because he will get another 4 to 6 minimum from the warm up matches and the guaranteed 3 In the Euros. 

Once we win the Euros he could be on 75 😆 

Getting to the Euros reguarly will ve crucial for anybody to break the record. Adds another 5 or 6 games with the warm ups etc. 

Probably unlikely that Robertson or McGinn break the record but not impossible.

15 hours ago, Rawlinho said:

There’s an increasing chance McGinn will break both the cap and goal record…

Robertson won’t be far off him in terms of caps and I predict both will reach over 100.

Edited by JECK

1 hour ago, Diamond Scot said:

Getting to the Euros reguarly will ve crucial for anybody to break the record. Adds another 5 or 6 games with the warm ups etc. 

Probably unlikely that Robertson or McGinn break the record but not impossible.

Nations league matches too this year, thats 6. Robertson could be on almost 80 and not be 31 years old yet. 

Come to think of it I'd be shocked if he didn't hit 100. 

1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

Nations league matches too this year, thats 6. Robertson could be on almost 80 and not be 31 years old yet. 

Come to think of it I'd be shocked if he didn't hit 100. 

When players get the other side of 30 they dont tend to play every international game either through injury, being rested for club games or through the manager trying out younger players for succession planning.

Both will be key players for us for a good few years yet but I doubt they will play every game.

Hopefully one of them break the caps record and McGinn the goalscoring.

5 hours ago, adamntg said:

Hickey has to have a chance as well.  14 caps, only 21 and an automatic pick when fit. 

Considering he can easily cover at left back as well, he'll pretty much always be in the team. I wouldn't be surprised if it's Hickey on the left and Patterson on the right a few years from now, once Robertson retires. (Hopefully not any time soon)

Hickey is pretty close to being in the same undroppable bracket as McGinn, McTominay, Robertson and Tierney.

Aye Hickey and Gilmour definitely in with a shout. Considering Steven Davis got to 140 caps with NI and that included just one tournament but got his first cap at 20. 

You also wonder how many caps either Marshall, Gordon or McGregor might have got if the other 2 didn't exist?

1 hour ago, Rawlinho said:

Aye Hickey and Gilmour definitely in with a shout. Considering Steven Davis got to 140 caps with NI and that included just one tournament but got his first cap at 20. 

You also wonder how many caps either Marshall, Gordon or McGregor might have got if the other 2 didn't exist?

Even more so with Leighton and Goram

On 2/20/2024 at 10:48 PM, Squirrelhumper said:

I think gilmour is nailed on to get over 100.

By end of this year he could have close to 40 at 23 years old.

I do agree. Gilmour has had to be relatively patient in finding a club to settle with at the right level where he gets regular first team game time. I think that says more about his potential prospects than whether or not he is good enough. All things considered 23 caps already while going through these early career transitions is quite impressive.

I do think we are still yet to see the best of Gilmour in terms of his role to play for Scotland in the next 5-8 years as other members of our midfield fade away. He will be a really important player for us, whereas at the moment he is useful but not quite pivotal.

On 2/13/2024 at 8:56 PM, Rawlinho said:

On this point, the Croatia caps numbers is a great example of how they have been a consistent force in qualification and also doing very well in tournaments. That also breeds a consistent core of players. This is something at the time of Euro 2020 we didn't have, and we are not quite there yet but a good illustration of what we can hopefully aspire to build over the coming handful of years with the current crop. I still think there is more to come from this Scotland squad than the relative success we have seen.

Obviously with it being Scotland, I can just as easily see us looking back at this in 10 years when we're shite again wondering where it all went wrong.

On 2/14/2024 at 12:12 PM, JECK said:

There’s an increasing chance McGinn will break both the cap and goal record…

It’s statistics like this that show us up as being tinpot. It is a shockingly embarrassing statistic. This is in no way a slight on John McGinn by the way 

150 years we’ve been on the go and a current midfielder is on course to be our record goal scorer. Considering much reveared footballing legends in Law and Dalglish along with European golden boot winner McCoist but they could only muster 79 goals between them

Granted theres more games against weaker opponents in the modern era with the breakup of the Soviet Union and the Former Yugoslavian states and the addition of shite like Gibraltar but its really astonishing

I’ve said for years that our failure to have an out and out goalscorer would cost us places in various tournament

Cast your minds back to Sunday 23 February 2014. The Euro 2016 Qualification draw pitted us alongside our equals. That’s what they were our equals Poland and Rep. of Ireland. They weren’t better or worse. Between the 3 of us there was a much of a muchness. So much so we went unbeaten against them both over 5 games yet both of those teams qualified for the France while we were sat at home picking winnets oot oor arses

When you look at the likes of Poland and Rep. of Ireland neither team was much better than Scotland but they both had a goalscorer in Lewandowski and Keane respectively

On 2/27/2024 at 3:51 PM, DoonTheSlope said:

It’s statistics like this that show us up as being tinpot. It is a shockingly embarrassing statistic. This is in no way a slight on John McGinn by the way 

150 years we’ve been on the go and a current midfielder is on course to be our record goal scorer. Considering much reveared footballing legends in Law and Dalglish along with European golden boot winner McCoist but they could only muster 79 goals between them

Granted theres more games against weaker opponents in the modern era with the breakup of the Soviet Union and the Former Yugoslavian states and the addition of shite like Gibraltar but its really astonishing

I’ve said for years that our failure to have an out and out goalscorer would cost us places in various tournament

Cast your minds back to Sunday 23 February 2014. The Euro 2016 Qualification draw pitted us alongside our equals. That’s what they were our equals Poland and Rep. of Ireland. They weren’t better or worse. Between the 3 of us there was a much of a muchness. So much so we went unbeaten against them both over 5 games yet both of those teams qualified for the France while we were sat at home picking winnets oot oor arses

When you look at the likes of Poland and Rep. of Ireland neither team was much better than Scotland but they both had a goalscorer in Lewandowski and Keane respectively

I do gave to disagree with this. Out of the former Yugoslav state (Yugoslavia one country that never achieved much) have come Serbia and Croatia who have been there or thereabouts at the business end of numerous major tournaments. The break up of the Soviet Union (again one team who were not perennial tournaments contenders by any means) has seen banana skin teams such as Georgia and Belarus (who we know are no mugs) come into being plus many others that have frequently tested us. Also back in the 80s and 90s your pushovers were the likes of Greece, Luxembourg, Finland and they are no pushovers now. Portugal too were not the force they are today nor were Belgium. Today international football is far more competitive.

I fully agree with you about our pitiful record at producing prolific goalscorers. It really is very poor. You can count on the fingers of one hand the amount of Scotland internationals to score more than 20 goals and the last one retired almost 40 years ago. Dire stats.

I need to take issue with your openings on Yugoslavia & USSR Craig, although I agree with your main points.

Yugoslavia were Euro finalists twice, semis once more and in World Cup semis twice.

USSR were the inaugural winners of the Euros, and since been finalists three times plus reached the semis in another Euro and a WC.

[Since breakups, Russia have only made one Euro semi, though Croatia I grant you have brilliantly made two WC semis.]

I just wished we'd taken the Euros seriously in those years and maybe we'd have reduced their stats a bit 😃

One thing which has always bugged me about Scotland is when you look at results from international matchdays teams win 4,5-0 regularly and it’s not surprising to see score lines of 7,8,9-0 but we always seem to huff, puff and bluff our way to victories by the odd goal or two against the likes of Moldova and the Faroes.

14 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

I need to take issue with your openings on Yugoslavia & USSR Craig, although I agree with your main points.

Yugoslavia were Euro finalists twice, semis once more and in World Cup semis twice.

USSR were the inaugural winners of the Euros, and since been finalists three times plus reached the semis in another Euro and a WC.

[Since breakups, Russia have only made one Euro semi, though Croatia I grant you have brilliantly made two WC semis.]

I just wished we'd taken the Euros seriously in those years and maybe we'd have reduced their stats a bit 😃

Yip, Yugoslavia had some fantastic players. They were one of the top teams in the world but just couldn't quite make it past the final hurdle and win a tournament. A bit like Hungary in the 50s and 60s.

5 minutes ago, DoonTheSlope said:

One thing which has always bugged me about Scotland is when you look at results from international matchdays teams win 4,5-0 regularly and it’s not surprising to see score lines of 7,8,9-0 but we always seem to huff, puff and bluff our way to victories by the odd goal or two against the likes of Moldova and the Faroes.

We did beat Yugoslavia 6-0 once. 🤣

1 hour ago, Grim Jim said:

Yugoslavia did not have longevity of success that Croatia have had and on top of that Serbia have come into being who, themselves are a challenge for many teams so there you have two tough opponents instead of one.

Edited by Caledonian Craig