Che Adams should be nowhere near this team - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Che Adams should be nowhere near this team

TartanTamsie

46 minutes ago, BryanBlessed said:

Possibly not and possibly he'd be better coming off the bench but earlier than the other night. Is it also out of the question to change the system?  If it's a half chance, I want it falling to Shankland not Dykes or Adams.

I would be quite pissed off if Clarke changed a system which works for us just to suit one player

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I would be quite pissed off if Clarke changed a system which works for us just to suit one player

Depends on the player. We definitely shouldn't change the system for Shankland. But we did for Tierney. We also became more of a passing  team once Gilmour came into the fold. 

Plus, once Doak is ready, we are probably going to have to alter the shape. Unless Clarke does what Gemmill did and just puts him up front. 

5 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Play the same system all the time and you become predictable. Surely playing two up front should be an option? It didn't work that well with Dykes and Adams but maybe that was because of their style of play.

We've also just come off three defeats and what was almost a defeat.

50 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Depends on the player. We definitely shouldn't change the system for Shankland. But we did for Tierney. We also became more of a passing  team once Gilmour came into the fold. 

Plus, once Doak is ready, we are probably going to have to alter the shape. Unless Clarke does what Gemmill did and just puts him up front. 

Good point, I should have Said I would be pissed off if the system was changed to suit a player like shankland.

49 minutes ago, BryanBlessed said:

Play the same system all the time and you become predictable. Surely playing two up front should be an option? It didn't work that well with Dykes and Adams but maybe that was because of their style of play.

Losing to 3 Pot one teams isn't a reason to start going gung ho with two upfront. 

The georgia game was almost a win too.

I'm all for discussing changes but not up for changing just for the sake of changing things. 

1 hour ago, BryanBlessed said:

I’ve no problem with experimenting with shape, personnel, resting player etc, now that we have qualified. Between now and the start of the Euros I’d like to see Clarke take the opportunity to try out different formations etc. 

But, for example, if we start with 2 strikers, that would indicate to me that McGinn is going to be deeper, and I think he is much more effective as a no10, and given the freedom to drop deep and find pockets of space. If you start with 2 strikers it does have an effect on the set up of other parts of the team. 
I personally still believe we should be moving to start with a back 4. And I hope Clarke doesn’t stop experimenting with it because it wasn’t wholly successful on Thursday.

2 hours ago, Scot1 said:

I’ve no problem with experimenting with shape, personnel, resting player etc, now that we have qualified. Between now and the start of the Euros I’d like to see Clarke take the opportunity to try out different formations etc. 

But, for example, if we start with 2 strikers, that would indicate to me that McGinn is going to be deeper, and I think he is much more effective as a no10, and given the freedom to drop deep and find pockets of space. If you start with 2 strikers it does have an effect on the set up of other parts of the team. 
I personally still believe we should be moving to start with a back 4. And I hope Clarke doesn’t stop experimenting with it because it wasn’t wholly successful on Thursday.

I don’t think Clarke was experimenting against Georgia I think he just felt he had to play with a back 4 with the players he had available. If Tierney, Robertson and Hickey had been fit I have no doubt Clarke would have played with his usual back 3. 

If Clarke is going to experiment with his formation (the defence anyway) he’ll really need to wait until our injured players are back to see if it will work with them in the team but I will be shocked if we go into the Euros with a different formation from the one that got us there. 

If Shankland hadn't scored on Thursday would this thread even have started?

We qualify with two games to go and some us are still not happy 

Adams has been out of form lately but of course he is worthy of a place in the squad unless we suddenly unearth someone special very soon which I don't think is going to happen.

Adams doesn't get the credit he deserves. Usually up front on his own against 2 or 3 defenders. Holds ball up well to get others involved and makes runs off the ball to drag defenders around. More mobile than Dykes who does a similar job. Deservedly they are our top two when it comes to playing up front and they suit our style and personnel.

18 minutes ago, supersub said:

Adams doesn't get the credit he deserves. Usually up front on his own against 2 or 3 defenders. Holds ball up well to get others involved and makes runs off the ball to drag defenders around. More mobile than Dykes who does a similar job. Deservedly they are our top two when it comes to playing up front and they suit our style and personnel.

Is a head scratcher for me how some fans constantly think untried players are suddenly going to set the world on fire to the extent that we should drop our tried and tested (and successful) players to give them that chance.

Drop Adams and Dykes from the squad. What happens if Shankland, Nisbett and Stewart dont then perform. Clarke recalls Dykes and Adams and has to convince them that he thinks they are the business. Sport / management is often about faith and installing confidence, even if its misplaced or not 100% genuine.

The debate should be which other strikers are worthy of a squad place alongside Dykes and Adams because 100% they will be on the plane if fit.

Che Adams doesn't really cut it for me either at international level although currently speaking the number nine position in this team is the most open available for anyone to come in and stake their claim right now compared to the other area such as midfield which is so incredibly competitively fierce just now due to the amount of options we currently have in that area. Every time I have seen Che play for us, it’s noticeable that he is a player that requires a lot of time on the ball to pick his spot as we seen with his recent goals against both Denmark & Armenia. You don't always get that sort of time at this level. His decision making can be a lot to be desired with as well - sometimes 1v1, he will take that extra touch or two to beat a defender when the opportunity had already presented itself to take a shot at goal but he decided to pass it up.

26 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Is a head scratcher for me how some fans constantly think untried players are suddenly going to set the world on fire to the extent that we should drop our tried and tested (and successful) players to give them that chance.

Drop Adams and Dykes from the squad. What happens if Shankland, Nisbett and Stewart dont then perform. Clarke recalls Dykes and Adams and has to convince them that he thinks they are the business. Sport / management is often about faith and installing confidence, even if its misplaced or not 100% genuine.

The debate should be which other strikers are worthy of a squad place alongside Dykes and Adams because 100% they will be on the plane if fit.

I don't see anyone with any sense calling for Dykes or Adams to be dropped from the squad. People are merely pointing out how few goals they have scored of late and chances spurned. That being the case it makes perfect sense to have a look at how our other strikers fare. To do that they must be given serious gametime

For me Shankland is an impact player to bring on with 30 minutes to go when you need a goal.

There arent many teams going to the Euros who we would have the luxury of playing 2 up top against so we need players that can lead the line.

Dykes and Adams have both shown they can do that.

Shankland should however 100% be in the squad. He is different to the other 2 and haveing a balance of different types of olayer in our squad is what we need.

That said, I wouldnt be averse to seeing starting tomorrow night to see if he has what it tales to lead the line by himself.

Better to find out now than go into the Euros not knowing. Although we do have the friendlies in March, so could give him the last 30 tomorrow and start him then.

Would I be right in saying Shankland is the first striker to score for Scotland in over 2 years, outside of Adams and Dykes? I might be forgetting someone, but that is quite telling how much of a predicament this is.

Nisbet scored in a friendly vs the Netherlands before the Euros. Can't think of anyone else.

I'm not in favour of dropping Adams or Dykes from the squad. Certainly not this side of Euro 2024, but we really need some sort of contingency plan when the both of them are off form. Which is what is currently happening.

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I don't see anyone with any sense calling for Dykes or Adams to be dropped from the squad. People are merely pointing out how few goals they have scored of late and chances spurned. That being the case it makes perfect sense to have a look at how our other strikers fare. To do that they must be given serious gametime

It was literally the 1st post in this thread regarding Adams.

I totally agree with giving others some gametime but as I said previously, Clarke has a balance to strike. At the moment he has shown Adams and Dykes alot of trust / confidence and they have played more than their part in getting us qualified. You cant just throw that out the window and pick it back up later on.

2 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

It was literally the 1st post in this thread regarding Adams.

I totally agree with giving others some gametime but as I said previously, Clarke has a balance to strike. At the moment he has shown Adams and Dykes alot of trust / confidence and they have played more than their part in getting us qualified. You cant just throw that out the window and pick it back up later on.

There have been spells in the last year or two when Adams had a run of starting games and then it was Dykes so I do not see the issue if another striker is chosen for a game or two over them. They are grown men and know how football works especially now with Euros around the corner they'll know other players will be looked at. I can't see either throwing the dummy out for not being selected. It happens across the pitch anyway. McKenna, Patterson, Cooper and even Gilmour have had spells when they have not been starting matches for us - they are still with us as would Dykes and Adams be.

6 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

There have been spells in the last year or two when Adams had a run of starting games and then it was Dykes so I do not see the issue if another striker is chosen for a game or two over them. They are grown men and know how football works especially now with Euros around the corner they'll know other players will be looked at. I can't see either throwing the dummy out for not being selected. It happens across the pitch anyway. McKenna, Patterson, Cooper and even Gilmour have had spells when they have not been starting matches for us - they are still with us as would Dykes and Adams be.

I agree regarding not starting games. My point is that they should still be in the squad which is what the original poster said shouldnt be happening.

22 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

I don’t think Clarke was experimenting against Georgia I think he just felt he had to play with a back 4 with the players he had available. If Tierney, Robertson and Hickey had been fit I have no doubt Clarke would have played with his usual back 3. 

If Clarke is going to experiment with his formation (the defence anyway) he’ll really need to wait until our injured players are back to see if it will work with them in the team but I will be shocked if we go into the Euros with a different formation from the one that got us there. 

Yeah you’re right there 👍.

He’s changed the shape because of the loss of players.

Edited by Scot1

On 11/18/2023 at 3:11 AM, Texas Pete said:

Adams is a good player. He’s had some average games for us recently but that doesn’t mean he should be nowhere near the team.

Dykes is clearly Clarke’s preferred striker at the moment but he didn’t play very well on Thursday night. Should he be nowhere near the team either? 

We are not exactly overrun by excellent strikers so I don’t think we can be choosy enough to leave out a player of Adams’ ability. 

Lawrence Shankland to replace in Adams,  the squad.

Just my opinion.