Georgia V Scotland - Match Thread - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Georgia V Scotland - Match Thread

Caledonian Craig

Looked a little more solid with McLean coming on for Gilmour but personally I dont see the point in playing 4 at the back when we need to sacrifice a ball playing midfielder to accomodate and we still look weak at the back. We need to find a suitable replacement for Tierney whether that be Kingsley or trying Hickey in there.

Never been a fan of Taylor at this level. He is small, not fast, not strong and not great on the ball. As I said earlier im not sure if Doig is amy better and he hasnt been playing consistently at club level but might be worth a start against Norway to have a look.

Christie is a great player if we are playing high tempo. If not id rather have Armstrong or Ferguson.

And finally, controversial on here but McGinn is like a man down at times (until he comes up with the moment of brilliance which I know he does so often). 

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Looked a little more solid with McLean coming on for Gilmour but personally I dont see the point in playing 4 at the back when we need to sacrifice a ball playing midfielder to accomodate and we still look weak at the back. We need to find a suitable replacement for Tierney whether that be Kingsley or trying Hickey in there.

Never been a fan of Taylor at this level. He is small, not fast, not strong and not great on the ball. As I said earlier im not sure if Doig is amy better and he hasnt been playing consistently at club level but might be worth a start against Norway to have a look.

Christie is a great player if we are playing high tempo. If not id rather have Armstrong or Ferguson.

And finally, controversial on here but McGinn is like a man down at times (until he comes up with the moment of brilliance which I know he does so often). 

McGinn by his standards was very poor tonight.

1 minute ago, ceudmilefailte said:

McGinn by his standards was very poor tonight.

He is quite often very poor in a game but then comes up with big moments suddenly plays a blinder for the rest of the game. 

Ive lost count of the number of times ive been calling for him to be subbed and then he does a quickfire goal then assist.

Just watched the first goal again. It's actually a well worked move by Georgia but we allowed them to do it. McKenna McGregor and Christie are all ball watching leaving Taylor with two players to cover. He picks the wrong one to go with and by the time he realises his mistake it's too late to cut out the pass. Two touches later the ball is in the back of the net. That's what good forwards can do to you.

We make a lot of mistakes for that goal, but for me the main culprit is McKenna. If Tierney is playing that goal doesn't happen, IMO.

8 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Normally i would be putting a few quid on Georgia at 11/5 due to;

1 - Our record there

2 - Missing key players

3 - Only Spain have won there in 2 years

However there is no pressure on us and those selected will want to be at EURO 2024 so i'm going for a draw

Nostrabongo strikes again

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

I've a couple of quid on the desmond so there is no chance of us equalising ...

Classic use of the reverse jink so that it did happen

You are welcome

Actually thought at times porteous was creating the tempo running out from back (bit like Tierneys role) 

Feel we need wingers. Whilst he have a great system. We are in danger of only being able to play one way or set up one way. Larger Nations will know how to play against us.

All said. What a campaign. If you'd said we were going into the norway game qualified I'd of bit hand off. Now it's about making that next step up.

13 minutes ago, From_Dundee_to_Ancoats said:

Actually thought at times porteous was creating the tempo running out from back (bit like Tierneys role) 

Feel we need wingers. Whilst he have a great system. We are in danger of only being able to play one way or set up one way. Larger Nations will know how to play against us.

All said. What a campaign. If you'd said we were going into the norway game qualified I'd of bit hand off. Now it's about making that next step up.

Do we actually have any wingers to call upon? Ryan Fraser the only one I can think of. 

6 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

Do we actually have any wingers to call upon? Ryan Fraser the only one I can think of. 

To be honest, I feel like Patterson could be viewed almost as much as a winger as a fullback. He is class going forward. Not exactly sure what system we could slot him into as an out and out winger, but he is more than capable of doing it.

If Fraser starts getting in Southampton's first 11, he'll be straight back in the squad, as he offers something no else does. (Until Doak is ready, of course)

Draw is okay tonight. We should beat them but they have a better player than we’ve had for a long time and it’s nearly like a Wales with Gareth Bale situation.

The concern probably is how poor some players played. Another concern is that Clarke is very one dimensional. He’s done brilliant but he does need to adapt. I feel he sticks to what he knows too much at times which as we’ve seen lately can be sussed out and nullified sometimes. The squad needs wingers. Without wingers we can’t adapt and go more attacking without pushing one of our many good CMs forward. This tactic does work well so we can’t knock it but to compete in a tournament with teams who are all a lot better than Georgia etc, we need a plan B & players who can make a difference.

Also we all knew Dykes was going to start. He’s scored 1 goal this season (in September) and 1 in his last 10 internationals. He’s badly out of form and it looks it with those headers he missed tonight. Shankland is bang in form, had one header and scored it and it’s saved us from a really poor result. He should on form have started tonight. 

As much as I loved Kenny McLeans goal v Norway and as much as I think Ryan Jack is a good player, these guys need phased out too and replaced, can’t be far away.

A win Sunday would be brilliant. Would be nice for Doak to be added to the squad tomorrow… 

12 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Draw is okay tonight. We should beat them but they have a better player than we’ve had for a long time and it’s nearly like a Wales with Gareth Bale situation.

The concern probably is how poor some players played. Another concern is that Clarke is very one dimensional. He’s done brilliant but he does need to adapt. I feel he sticks to what he knows too much at times which as we’ve seen lately can be sussed out and nullified sometimes. The squad needs wingers. Without wingers we can’t adapt and go more attacking without pushing one of our many good CMs forward. This tactic does work well so we can’t knock it but to compete in a tournament with teams who are all a lot better than Georgia etc, we need a plan B & players who can make a difference.

Also we all knew Dykes was going to start. He’s scored 1 goal this season (in September) and 1 in his last 10 internationals. He’s badly out of form and it looks it with those headers he missed tonight. Shankland is bang in form, had one header and scored it and it’s saved us from a really poor result. He should on form have started tonight. 

As much as I loved Kenny McLeans goal v Norway and as much as I think Ryan Jack is a good player, these guys need phased out too and replaced, can’t be far away.

A win Sunday would be brilliant. Would be nice for Doak to be added to the squad tomorrow… 

McLean was one of our best players tonight.

3 hours ago, slasher said:

Some of our ‘depth’ would appear to be a myth based on that. Wouldn’t want to be too hard on any of them though as we kept at it and deserved the point in the end. I thought we got sucked into their nonsense at times but the officials were weak. The challenge on McTominay should have been VAR’d and upgraded to a red!

Not forgetting the assault on Ralston that didn't even merit a booking.

Looking at the positives... a few guaranteed starters out and a few choosing tonight to have utter shockers... grinding out a draw in a place we usually find problematic isn't the worst result ever.  Especially against a shower of diving, cheating bstrds while you have an arse of a referee in charge.  FFS we complain about the loonies reffing the games up here as well!

We do have "depth" to some extent.  We just can't afford to lose 3 top-class performers like Robertson, Tierney and Hickey.  It was glaringly obvious in the first half especially just how little we were able to create down the left.  On the rare occasions we got down that side, Christie or McGregor would just overhit the final pass and b*gger everything up.

However, that 2nd goal???  Fck me, have none of our coaching staff ever seen a Napoli game?  You don't give that guy (not even going to try and spell it) a cm of space never mind a fkin light year. "Should have been shown to the bye line," according to Michael Stewart (I think?).  Aye, and then he chips it on to the head of a teammate in the 6-yard box.  Here's a better idea - stick to the wee bstrd like glue and then that cross-field pass doesn't happen in the fkin first place!

Unfortunately I was working tonight so only seen the highlights. Firstly I’m glad that Clarke tried a back 4. Because I feel as the squad evolves we will play a back 4 more often, and it will eventually be our 1st choice formation. 
We need a good defensive midfielder, unfortunately Hickey is injured, but I’d like to see him tried there. 
Also it would seem that it’s either MacGregor or Gilmour starting, the two are basically trying to do the same job. 
Drop MacGregor or Gilmour for a defensive midfielder if playing 4/3/3.

Obviously, we still need a centre forward as well.

Edited by Scot1

1 hour ago, daviebee said:

Not forgetting the assault on Ralston that didn't even merit a booking.

Looking at the positives... a few guaranteed starters out and a few choosing tonight to have utter shockers... grinding out a draw in a place we usually find problematic isn't the worst result ever.  Especially against a shower of diving, cheating bstrds while you have an arse of a referee in charge.  FFS we complain about the loonies reffing the games up here as well!

We do have "depth" to some extent.  We just can't afford to lose 3 top-class performers like Robertson, Tierney and Hickey.  It was glaringly obvious in the first half especially just how little we were able to create down the left.  On the rare occasions we got down that side, Christie or McGregor would just overhit the final pass and b*gger everything up.

However, that 2nd goal???  Fck me, have none of our coaching staff ever seen a Napoli game?  You don't give that guy (not even going to try and spell it) a cm of space never mind a fkin light year. "Should have been shown to the bye line," according to Michael Stewart (I think?).  Aye, and then he chips it on to the head of a teammate in the 6-yard box.  Here's a better idea - stick to the wee bstrd like glue and then that cross-field pass doesn't happen in the fkin first place!

In hindsight having McGinn in front of Patterson was a bad idea with their biggest threat playing left wing. Especially after Patterson picked up the booking. 

Patterson frustrates me a little bit. He is very similar to Hutton in his style however Hutton was really good at being abit more direct. Patterson seems to use his stride to get past players and then once he is there slows dowm and kind of panics with the next bit. Hutton never slowed down, once he gor past the 1st guy he just went straight at the next. Defenders hated it and Hutton had the knock it past them then collapse his legs down to a tee.

Just reading back over the thread now the dust has settled and consider the following.

I’m a bit baffled by the criticism of McGinn. Not because of his back catalogue but surely anyone can see he was asked to play wide and we rarely got the ball to him 🤷🏼‍♂️

I’m not having the criticism of Patterson either, he’s still got plenty of time on his side and clearly has something to add in attack. At the level he’s at a good coach will get him defending better. 

Greg Taylor is at best our 4th choice left back. He thrived under inverted full backs at Celtic and you can see why but in a more traditional set up he doesn’t even make the squad for me if everyone is fit.

Apparently Steve Clarke is too one dimensional for some and yet we switched from a back 3 to a 4 tonight and virtually finished up playing 4-2-4 at the end. Some people just talk shite!

My one criticism of Stevie Clarke has been the lack of succession planning at GK. We got lucky with Gunn finally coming onboard, tonight we got a look at what else there might be. It says it all some people are already saying mind Craig Gordon is coming back…..that needs attention. Gordon was in decline before his injury imo. We need to have a serious look at the other options in a key position.

Edited by slasher

Reactions on here alone says how far we have come in the ladt three years. People are knocking us, quite rightly so, in some areas, but we still came away with our best result in Georgia. That is despite so many injuries, playing a dirty team who reminded me a lot of Uruguay 1986 who were obviously winding up so many of our players but we kept a lid on it and kept going to the end to get a deserved point. We could of and have played much better but we are now a team with the resilience to avoid defeat in tricky places despitr not being at our best.

Obviously, a big problem was how poorly we defended for both of their goals. Some put that down to the formation change and that could be the case. Some are saying why change from a back five? Well we were missing key personel that help make that formation work so well in my opinion. Taylor is nowhere near as effect as Robertson in adding attacking thrusts and lacks the pace so I fully understand playing four at the back but would sooner have seen Hendry alongside Porteous. We were far too ponderous and slow in attack and feel that this game would have suited someone like Ben Doak. He would have added much needed pace down the wings and that extra attacking thrust. The midfielders we had on the pitch are were not pacey enough and McGregor and Gilmour need runners to feed otherwise their passing becomes lateral or passing back to defence. We saw, once we had them pinned back, how ragged and panicked they looked when we got overlaps going down the wings but thst only came about when Georgia began sitting deep.

For Sunday I'd like to see starts for Ferguson, Hendry and Shankland for Christie, McKenna and Dykes. I think they all merit  a start and it gives them a real chance to show what they can do. Norway will be without Odegaard and maybe even Haaland who reportedly suffered a flair of his ankle problem in their friendly V Faroe Islands. He completed the match but I think Guardiola will be urging Solbaaken not to play him in a game that is a dead rubber for them.

One of the best things about this team we have now is we never give up and our resolve to win or get a result lasts the full 90 minutes. Many many times in the past when we have went down a goal, our heads dropped and we never looked like we would get any kind of result.  This team however, whenever we go down, you expect them to get at least a draw or even come from behind and win the game. 

Cannot give enough praise to Steve Clark and this squad for the turnaround over the last few years.  

4 hours ago, slasher said:

Just reading back over the thread now the dust has settled and consider the following.

I’m a bit baffled by the criticism of McGinn. Not because of his back catalogue but surely anyone can see he was asked to play wide and we rarely got the ball to him 🤷🏼‍♂️

I’m not having the criticism of Patterson either, he’s still got plenty of time on his side and clearly has something to add in attack. At the level he’s at a good coach will get him defending better. 

Greg Taylor is at best our 4th choice left back. He thrived under inverted full backs at Celtic and you can see why but in a more traditional set up he doesn’t even make the squad for me if everyone is fit.

Apparently Steve Clarke is too one dimensional for some and yet we switched from a back 3 to a 4 tonight and virtually finished up playing 4-2-4 at the end. Some people just talk shite!

My one criticism of Stevie Clarke has been the lack of succession planning at GK. We got lucky with Gunn finally coming onboard, tonight we got a look at what else there might be. It says it all some people are already saying mind Craig Gordon is coming back…..that needs attention. Gordon was in decline before his injury imo. We need to have a serious look at the other options in a key position.

Greg Taylor is pish and too small, agree. Yes Phillip Lahm was small but he was World class. Taylor is a major weak link. 

Think you’re wrong about Gordon. He was on fire upto and including the game he got injured in. He’d be straight back in the squad for me; Gunn, Gordon & McCrorie.

7 hours ago, Scot1 said:

By the way, the closest to a Tierney replacement that I’ve seen, that is eligible for Scotland is Luis Binks. Watched him a number of times playing a similar role for Bologna when Hickey was there. Good technical player. 

I apologise, I’m getting Luis Binks mixed up with Arthur Theate, who both played for Bologna at the same time as Hickey. Theate played left side of a back 3 and was similar to Tierney. 

1 hour ago, ProudScot said:

Greg Taylor is pish and too small, agree. Yes Phillip Lahm was small but he was World class. Taylor is a major weak link. 

Think you’re wrong about Gordon. He was on fire upto and including the game he got injured in. He’d be straight back in the squad for me; Gunn, Gordon & McCrorie.

I’ve never been impressed whenever Taylor has played for Scotland. And i can remember him being bullied by opposition forwards. 

Taylor is a decent SPFL left back but that's his limit. He's only there because we are missing 3 much better left backs. I'm not having a dig at him, we don't have anyone better who isn't injured

The stats show we dominated but the game showed the defence was shaky. We got a draw which I would've taken pre match 

6 hours ago, slasher said:

I was thinking the same thing. What else could Clarke have done? It's literally what a lot of Clarke's critics have been calling out for. In hindsight, the back 4 didn't really work. A back 3 would have given Patterson license to attack more without fear of getting caught out. 

If we had walked out with Gordon, Robertson, Tierney, Hanley, Hendry and Hickey, we'd have comfortably won that game. 

Saying that, I really like McKenna, Porteous and Patterson. And would happily play them in our usual formation as well.

11 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

I was thinking the same thing. What else could Clarke have done? It's literally what a lot of Clarke's critics have been calling out for. In hindsight, the back 4 didn't really work. A back 3 would have given Patterson license to attack more without fear of getting caught out. 

If we had walked out with Gordon, Robertson, Tierney, Hanley, Hendry and Hickey, we'd have comfortably won that game. 

Saying that, I really like McKenna, Porteous and Patterson. And would happily play them in our usual formation as well.

I still think a back 4 is the way forward, it’s just going to take time to experiment and tweak to get it functioning properly.

As far as Georgias 2nd goal, I’d say McGinn made the mistake of moving ahead of Patterson and leaving the space for the Georgian to cut inside and take the shot. But I’m happy that Clarke is trying different formations.