Euros squad - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Euros squad

Templeton_Peck

Looking very likely that UEFA going to confirm squad sizes of only 23. Going to be very competitive if we can stay injury free.

Squad I currently think Steve might take.

Goalkeepers: Gunn Gordon Kelly

Full backs: Roberston Hickey Patterson Taylor

Centre backs: Hendry Tierney Porteous McKenna Hanley

Centre Mid: McGregor McTominay Gilmour McLean

Attacking Mid: McGinn Christie Ferguson Doak

Striker: Dykes Adams Stewart

I'll predict Armstrong instead of Stewart and Jack instead of Taylor given the flexibility with Tierney and Hickey. I think Jack has run his race but if playing 2 defensive midfielders we'd need some cover and Clarke seems to like him. If Christie and Doak in, I don't think we need a third out and out striker. Sadly I think injuries are bound to remove some of these decisions.

18 hours ago, Templeton_Peck said:

Looking very likely that UEFA going to confirm squad sizes of only 23. Going to be very competitive if we can stay injury free.

Squad I currently think Steve might take.

Goalkeepers: Gunn Gordon Kelly

Full backs: Roberston Hickey Patterson Taylor

Centre backs: Hendry Tierney Porteous McKenna Hanley

Centre Mid: McGregor McTominay Gilmour McLean

Attacking Mid: McGinn Christie Ferguson Doak

Striker: Dykes Adams Stewart

Great topic 

Only changes i would do is i wouldnt take Taylor as a back up left back as Hickey and Tierney can cover so would take Soutter instead

Then would take S Armstrong instead of Doak, unless his game time dramatically improved over the rest of the season think the experience of Armstrong would win out 

I know Craig Brown did this at France '98 but would be great for Clarke to take a few '21's along with the squad for the experience and would help with the succession aspect of it as a couple of players are early 30's and likely to be transitioned out over the next few years  

12 minutes ago, BryanBlessed said:

Stewart would have to force his way in as right now he and McBurnie seem to be way down the pecking order. 

I'd also be surprised if Armstrong isn't in there.  The big worry is a Tierney injury.

From the point of view of debating the squad, a 23 man squad is a bit disappointing in that there will be very little room for surprises or wildcard inclusions. 26 will would be far more interesting to discuss.

You're right, Armstrong is clearly an integral part of the squad. He is subbed on in virtually every game. I'd be shocked if he doesn't make the 23.

I really want Doak in there but I'm not really sure who would make way for him. 

Clarke might have to make some very tough decisions with some regular squad players. I can see the likes of Taylor, Jack, Souttar, Brown, Nisbet all not making the finals squad.

9 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

From the point of view of debating the squad, a 23 man squad is a bit disappointing in that there will be very little room for surprises or wildcard inclusions. 26 will would be far more interesting to discuss.

You're right, Armstrong is clearly an integral part of the squad. He is subbed on in virtually every game. I'd be shocked if he doesn't make the 23.

Clarke might have to make some very tough decisions with some regular squad players. I can see the likes of Taylor, Jack, Souttar, Brown, Nisbet all not making the finals squad.

I think I'm the only one who would prefer a fit Souttar over Hendry.

I suppose we have to take injuries into account. Hanley and McLean (who I'm not that convinced of anyway) are both the wrong side of 30 and injuries tend to get more common at that age.

I can't see Doak making it unless he gets regular game time which is unlikely as, like you say, who's he going to replace? A lot of these players are going to have to force their way in and, unless Doak gets regular game time, I can't see that happening.

I think Brown will get a chance in the next qualifiers and it'll really be make or break for him as to whether he makes the squad.  I suppose the conversation should maybe be about who makes the next squad.

Re

1 hour ago, BryanBlessed said:

If you think there is even the slightest chance that Jack Hendry is getting dropped (barring injury, of course) then you really haven't been paying attention. 🤣

1 hour ago, BryanBlessed said:

Hendry offers more than Souttar. He has a bit of pace and offers good threat at corners too as he has shown in the past and reads the game quite well. I'd say he was more three-dimensional than Souttar. Now that is not to rubbish Souttar as he has always done a decent job for us when called upon but Hendry is the better all-round option. I see Souttar more as a solid old-fashioned stopper.

Edited by Caledonian Craig

2 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Yeh it's disappointing & not as much fun to try predicting a squad of 23 .

I saw a video of Russell Martin this week chatting about Armstrong & he said due to personal reasons he hasn't been enjoying football for the last 18 months but recently he has been smiling around the training camp & looking more like his old self. I know he had COVID but I don't know if there was other more personal stuff affecting him.

Anyway if Armstrong applies himself at club level until the end of the season I reckon he definitely makes it.  2/3's of the current squad are probably guaranteed even if some of them are bit part players at club level but I really hope the final 1/3 is made up of players on form not just the ones that have done it for us before.

2 hours ago, BryanBlessed said:

I suppose we have to take injuries into account. Hanley and McLean (who I'm not that convinced of anyway) are both the wrong side of 30 and injuries tend to get more common at that age.

I can't see Doak making it unless he gets regular game time which is unlikely as, like you say, who's he going to replace? A lot of these players are going to have to force their way in and, unless Doak gets regular game time, I can't see that happening.

I think Brown will get a chance in the next qualifiers and it'll really be make or break for him as to whether he makes the squad.  I suppose the conversation should maybe be about who makes the next squad.

Re

I like Souttar, but, much like Jack, we've not been able to integrate him fully into the system due to bad luck and injuries. In fact, had Souttar not been injured so much, maybe we wouldn't have seen Porteous when we did and maybe he wouldn't even be a regular starter right now. 

I predict our CBs to be: Hanley, Porteous, Tierney, Hendry, Cooper. And, honestly, that is ample for a 23 man squad. Experience goes a long way at centre back. That'll work against Souttar big time.

If Clarke decides to only take Dykes and Adams as our only out and out strikers, then that'll create a slot for Doak. But I can't see him not taking 1 of Brown, Nisbet, Stewart or maybe even Fraser.

Gunn, Kelly, Clark

Robertson, Tierney, Paterson, Hickey 

Porteous, Hendry, McKenna, Souttar

Gilmour, McTominay, McGinn, Ferguson 

Christie, McGregor, McLean, Doak, Anderson 

Adams, Dykes, McBurnie

That's what I'd pick 

Craig Gordon will need to get fit, displace Clark and then prove he still has it before I'd even consider naming him.

Defence...anything happens to Robertson and Tierney or Hickey would go to left back, nae need to send another full-back like Taylor

Midfield...Jacks days are done, while I've never been a fan of Armstrong. I'd prefer to take Doak, as something a bit different ie we have no other real wingers to choose and he would offer something totally different if we needed to change shape. I'd call Anderson up as well...I await the outcry...if he knocks it back to play at the Euros, we can put it to bed for good 

The 3 forwards are the 3 best available to us...simple 

4 minutes ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Gunn, Kelly, Clark

Robertson, Tierney, Paterson, Hickey 

Porteous, Hendry, McKenna, Souttar

Gilmour, McTominay, McGinn, Ferguson 

Christie, McGregor, McLean, Doak, Anderson 

Adams, Dykes, McBurnie

That's what I'd pick 

Craig Gordon will need to get fit, displace Clark and then prove he still has it before I'd even consider naming him.

Defence...anything happens to Robertson and Tierney or Hickey would go to left back, nae need to send another full-back like Taylor

Midfield...Jacks days are done, while I've never been a fan of Armstrong. I'd prefer to take Doak, as something a bit different ie we have no other real wingers to choose and he would offer something totally different if we needed to change shape. I'd call Anderson up as well...I await the outcry...if he knocks it back to play at the Euros, we can put it to bed for good 

The 3 forwards are the 3 best available to us...simple 

I think that 3rd striker spot should go to whoever is in the best form come the end of the season. So it could be any one of Stewart, Nisbet, Hardie, McBurnie, Conway, Shankland or Brown. Or, as I said before, none of them. Taking Doak or Fraser, or both, would be an alternative attacking option.

I'm not against Anderson in general, but I'm really struggling to see what he has really done to deserve a place ahead of Armstrong. 

6 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

If Gordon is fit then he's automatic number 2. He's miles better than Clark or Kelly even at 41.

A fit and sharp Gordon would be my number 1. I like Gunn, and he'll no doubt end up with 50+ caps, and hopefully be our number 1 at future tournaments. But Gordon is capable of world class performances. If he fully recovers from this injury, he goes back in as number 1 (if I were choosing).

1 hour ago, Tartan blood said:

I like Souttar, but, much like Jack, we've not been able to integrate him fully into the system due to bad luck and injuries. In fact, had Souttar not been injured so much, maybe we wouldn't have seen Porteous when we did and maybe he wouldn't even be a regular starter right now. 

I predict our CBs to be: Hanley, Porteous, Tierney, Hendry, Cooper. And, honestly, that is ample for a 23 man squad. Experience goes a long way at centre back. That'll work against Souttar big time.

If Clarke decides to only take Dykes and Adams as our only out and out strikers, then that'll create a slot for Doak. But I can't see him not taking 1 of Brown, Nisbet, Stewart or maybe even Fraser.

It's probably no surprise that I think Hendry is overrated, or at least I think you never know which Hendry you're going to get and I don't think the Saudi league is going to improve him but I've already had that debate.

If Souttar has had his injury problems and (tragic) family problems but if he continues to get good European experience and Rangers do well under their new manager, we'll see what happens.

I doubt Clarke will see it that way and I'd imagine, barring injuries, he'll take Hendry, Porteous, Hanley, McKenna, Tierney. The advantage is that we've already seen a back four pairing of McKenna/Hendry and Porteous/Hendry. 

If Souttar is in, it'll probably be at the expense of Hanley who may not come back as the same player given his age and injury.

Not convinced Gordon will be in and it's premature to say so.

23 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

I think that 3rd striker spot should go to whoever is in the best form come the end of the season. So it could be any one of Stewart, Nisbet, Hardie, McBurnie, Conway, Shankland or Brown. Or, as I said before, none of them. Taking Doak or Fraser, or both, would be an alternative attacking option.

I'm not against Anderson in general, but I'm really struggling to see what he has really done to deserve a place ahead of Armstrong. 

I think it'll be whoever gets the minutes in the next two games. That, I think, is how Clarke tends to operate. 

23 hours ago, BryanBlessed said:

It's probably no surprise that I think Hendry is overrated, or at least I think you never know which Hendry you're going to get and I don't think the Saudi league is going to improve him but I've already had that debate.

If Souttar has had his injury problems and (tragic) family problems but if he continues to get good European experience and Rangers do well under their new manager, we'll see what happens.

I doubt Clarke will see it that way and I'd imagine, barring injuries, he'll take Hendry, Porteous, Hanley, McKenna, Tierney. The advantage is that we've already seen a back four pairing of McKenna/Hendry and Porteous/Hendry. 

If Souttar is in, it'll probably be at the expense of Hanley who may not come back as the same player given his age and injury.

Not convinced Gordon will be in and it's premature to say so.

Just realised I forgot McKenna. So, Hanley, Hendry, Cooper, Porteous, McKenna and Tierney. That's 6 centre backs already and I think Souttar is behind them all in the pecking order. Hanley was arguably our best player at the last Euros, so I'd be shocked if he isn't included. 

In a 23 man squad you really only have room for 2 guys per position. Having players like Hickey, Tierney, McGinn and McTominay that can play more than 1 position gives us a bit more flexibility. 

Although we will likely play McTominay and McGinn in attacking roles, the fact they can play deep might mean Jack doesn't make the cut. Especially since McLean has shown he is such a reliable backup. Though maybe he won't make it either. Clarke is going to have to make some difficult calls.

Edited by Tartan blood