Euros squad - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Euros squad

Templeton_Peck

On 10/27/2023 at 12:12 PM, Squirrelhumper said:

As for Anderson and McBurnie, i think they've had their respective chances with Clarke. Especially Anderson. 

McBurnie can't stay fit for more than 3 games at a time but he would still be the best striker to have coming of the bench. 

A few more 15 minute appearances without a goal would keep everyone happy. 

No one seems to be mention the four friendlies before the Euros were Clarke can have a look at a lot of players. 

1 hour ago, Tartan blood said:

Just realised I forgot McKenna. So, Hanley, Hendry, Cooper, Porteous, McKenna and Tierney. That's 6 centre backs already and I think Souttar is behind them all in the pecking order. Hanley was arguably our best player at the last Euros, so I'd be shocked if he isn't included. 

In a 23 man squad you really only have room for 2 guys per position. Having players like Hickey, Tierney, McGinn and McTominay that can play more than 1 position gives us a bit more flexibility. 

Although we will likely play McTominay and McGinn in attacking roles, the fact they can play deep might mean Jack doesn't make the cut. Especially since McLean has shown he is such a reliable backup. Though maybe he won't make it either. Clarke is going to have to make some difficult calls.

Whether Hanley was our best player in the last champs or not come next summer that's 3 years ago , he shouldn't be selected based on anything to do with that!

I see Shane Duffy had been playing for Norwich, unless they want to play with a 3 I can't see There being room for both when is fit . Obviously I rate Hanley better that Duffy but let's see Hanley fit & playing well before presuming he will be in the squad. I like Hanley but Souttar can play on the right of a 3 as well as the middle,  Hanley is only good for the central role.

1 hour ago, theabsentee said:

Whether Hanley was our best player in the last champs or not come next summer that's 3 years ago , he shouldn't be selected based on anything to do with that!

I see Shane Duffy had been playing for Norwich, unless they want to play with a 3 I can't see There being room for both when is fit . Obviously I rate Hanley better that Duffy but let's see Hanley fit & playing well before presuming he will be in the squad. I like Hanley but Souttar can play on the right of a 3 as well as the middle,  Hanley is only good for the central role.

It's not the sole reason to include him but it is a factor that will 100% be taken into account when Clarke is deciding between leaving either Souttar or Hanley at home. If it comes down to it, and neither Souttar nor Hanley are guaranteed starters for their clubs, and both fit, obviously Clarke will go with the guy with tournament experience and almost 50 caps. 

Don't get me wrong, I like Souttar, and would happily include him in the squad, I just don't think he'll choose him over Hanley, or any of the other CBs if they are all fit and playing. 

Porteous can easily play RCB as well as Hendry, so I don't think that'll necessarily make much difference for Souttar's chances. 

• 4 weeks later...

Keepers most certainly Gunn and Gordon, with the 3rd choice down to a out of form Kelly, or picking a bench warmer in Clark or McCrorie, or if Clarke can uncover a GK from England to switch.

My money is on Gunn, Gordon and McCrorie.

For the outfielders, I think Cooper, Jack, McLean and Brown all have their shirts on a shakey peg.... I suspect at the most 2 of them will be called up (most likely McLean and Cooper, with McLean more out of sympathy he missed out on Euro 2020 after playing a big part in getting us there), with Hanley probably getting one of those sports, and the final place going to someone like Harvey Barnes, Ben Doaks or Elliott Anderson (if he comes back with his tail between his legs).... my money is that Barnes and Doaks will both be in the March squad.  

If all fit and avalaible, then it will be Clarke's regular side.

I was thinking that as well. Some of the Steve Clarke's loyal stalwarts my not make his final squad. He has tough decisions to make. I bet he is hoping that they are decisions that he has to make, as opposed to decisions being made for him because of injuries. Probably the toughest decision he had to make last time was leaving Considine out after his heroics in helping us get there?

21 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Keepers most certainly Gunn and Gordon, with the 3rd choice down to a out of form Kelly, or picking a bench warmer in Clark or McCrorie, or if Clarke can uncover a GK from England to switch.

My money is on Gunn, Gordon and McCrorie.

For the outfielders, I think Cooper, Jack, McLean and Brown all have their shirts on a shakey peg.... I suspect at the most 2 of them will be called up (most likely McLean and Cooper, with McLean more out of sympathy he missed out on Euro 2020 after playing a big part in getting us there), with Hanley probably getting one of those sports, and the final place going to someone like Harvey Barnes, Ben Doaks or Elliott Anderson (if he comes back with his tail between his legs).... my money is that Barnes and Doaks will both be in the March squad.  

If all fit and avalaible, then it will be Clarke's regular side.

Agree with Barnes and Doak. Of last night's squad, i think Shankland, Brown, Taylor, Ralston, Doig and McLean will miss out. I think Clarke had probably made his mind up on some of these and wanted to at least give them a chance to prove him wrong. Perhaps explains why Shankland didn't get many minutes - he would have given himself a headache had he scored.

1 minute ago, bdgsct said:

Agree with Barnes and Doak. Of last night's squad, i think Shankland, Brown, Taylor, Ralston, Doig and McLean will miss out. I think Clarke had probably made his mind up on some of these and wanted to at least give them a chance to prove him wrong. Perhaps explains why Shankland didn't get many minutes - he would have given himself a headache had he scored.

I think Hickey's versatility that he can play right-back, while naturally a left-back, probably would mean that there is no need for Taylor, Raston and Doig (you would just bring back him, Robbo and Tierney for those spot).

I really thought that Shankland would have started last night, which made it all the more surprising that Brown started.

Clarke probably knows that he is taking Dykes and Adams, and this final spot up front will be one from Stewart, Nesbit and Shankland (I think Clarke probably has his eye on Stewart the most out of those three).

Going by Clarke's comments when Viaplay interviewed him after the game, and while not Fergie in the 1983 Scottish Cup final, for a slight moment he did let his guard slip and you could tell he was fuming with certain players.

Here's my guess at the squad assuming everybody is fit (I know that won't happen).

Gunn, Another GK, Anybody (doesn't matter as he won't get a game anyway - I could do that job)

Hickey, Patterson, Robbo, Tierney, Hendry, Porteous, McKenna, Souttar

McGregor, McGinn, McT, Gilmour, McLean, Armstrong, Christie, Ferguson

Dykes, Shankland, Adams, Brown

I've probably missed out somebody really obvious but I'm sure somebody will get injured and allow me to correct my mistake. 😉

Edited by Orraloon

11 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Here's my guess at the squad assuming everybody is fit (I know that won't happen).

Gunn, Another GK, Anybody (doesn't matter as he won't get a game anyway - I could do that job)

I've probably missed out somebody really obvious but I'm sure somebody will get injured and allow me to correct my mistake. 😉

Agree with most of that. Can’t see how Jacob Brown can get it though. Would rather Ryan Fraser if he kicks on with Southampton. 

10 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

From that squad, the only one's I would say that are questionable are Souttar (on can he stay fit). Shankland and Brown....

I think Cooper is the most likely to go (though if Souttar does stay fit, then he will be the favorite to go) but Clarke will give Hanley as long as it takes.

I think its a race between Shankland and Stewart for who joins Dykes and Adams, and Brown spot will be taken up by who stands out from any new call up's that may happen in March.

1 minute ago, bigfingers said:

Agree with most of that. Can’t see how Jacob Brown can get it though. Would rather Ryan Fraser if he kicks on with Southampton. 

Can't see Fraser getting back into Steve Clarke squad.

I swithered about whether to leave out Brown or Adams in favour of another defender, but I went with the 4 forwards due to the amount of running they are going to have to do, in our run all the way to the semi finals.

Gks: Gunn, whoever is Hearts GK, Kelly

Defenders: Robertson, Tierney, Hickey, Patterson, Hendry, Porteous, Hanley, Cooper, McKenna

Mids: McGreggor, Gilmour, McLean, McTomminay, McGinn, Armstrong, Christie, Ferguson

Forwards: Adams, Dykes, Shankland

Think this will be the squad. Cant see the need to take more than 3 strikers when we only play 1 up top. Either Jack or McLean will go. We need a holding midfielder on the plane.

5 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Can't see Fraser getting back into Steve Clarke squad.

I swithered about whether to leave out Brown or Adams in favour of another defender, but I went with the 4 forwards due to the amount of running they are going to have to do, in our run all the way to the semi finals.

I know he might've burnt his bridges but if Fraser can get to 90% of his previous form then he needs to be in the squad. We desperately need a fast midfielder who can unlock defences.

Ideally Doak will start to get more time with Liverpool and force his way in but he's not really done that much in the games he's played so far so that looks more and more unlikely.

14 minutes ago, JandC said:

I know he might've burnt his bridges but if Fraser can get to 90% of his previous form then he needs to be in the squad. We desperately need a fast midfielder who can unlock defences.

Ideally Doak will start to get more time with Liverpool and force his way in but he's not really done that much in the games he's played so far so that looks more and more unlikely.

I think Clarke is very much once you are in his bad books, you will stay there for a long time..... Frasers recall to me felt like he had planned that spot for Barnes, but injury stopped that, and he was not quite ready to go with Doak just yet, so gave Fraser another chance.

By most accounts the Southampton manager is a really big fan of Fraser, and if this can translate in to Armstrong, Stewart, Adams and Fraser forming some kind of partnership that works for Southampton, then that might see him back into the squad on a more full-time basis.

But I suspect this was more a one and done call up, and doubtful will see Fraser again in March

On 10/27/2023 at 12:48 PM, ProudScot said:

Would hope they change their mind and go for 26 man squads again 

Has there been any confirmation either way yet?

With 5, potentially 6, subs per game now, having only 20 outfield players available could be quite restrictive on squads as the tournament progresses.

(That said, it's a much bigger problem for larger countries with more talent to draw from, so 23 man squads could be seen as a leveller).

Edited by Toepoke